Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Award Stay with CITI Hilton certs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum

I earned two reward certificates for spending the correct amount with my Citibank Hilton Honors Card.

The certificates state they are good Friday Saturday and Sunday nights.

Not knowing this I have made a confirmed reservation for a Sunday and Monday Night, The confirmation does not mention the certificate but instead says 80,000 points per night. I do not have the points

The reservation was made on the phone with Hilton. Will the hotel cancel the reward certificate and charge me full price for the 2nd night.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:54 pm

You need to call them and get this straightened out. If the T&C state that the certificate can only be used on a Friday, Sat or Sunday there's no telling what will happen.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Speaking from experience:

It's up to the HHonors rep to advise you of black-out dates, etc. If they failed to catch this, it's on them; the reward is now in the system. The hotel won't know that you are using the Citi free night certificates, hence the 80K points information; it's an accounting trick, you don't actually need to have them in your account.

It's up to you, but I would show up, check in and enjoy your stay. I seriously doubt the hotel cares whether you used actual points or a free night cert; they are paid the same amount from corporate.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Aug 8, 2013 at 2:37 pm
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
No worries. I just used mine. The points do not actually come out of your account. It is just how the reservation saves/is processed. The certs, assuming you entered the cert numbers, is all you need to do.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Makes me feel better. I will take my chances. What would be the worse case possibllty?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Makes me feel better. I will take my chances. What would be the worse case possibllty?
They'll ask you to pay rack rate (or charge your card) for the 2nd night?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by neo_781
They'll ask you to pay rack rate (or charge your card) for the 2nd night?
And you will only get one night's worth of value from the cert.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skitch23
And you will only get one night's worth of value from the cert.
Will they void the certificate or just reissue.

Also, how is rack rate calculated
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Will they void the certificate or just reissue.

Also, how is rack rate calculated
don't worry about the rack rate, you will be fine. I used 2 of them showing 80K, and the agent specifically reminds me not to worry about it as it's for accounting purpose.
All good.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
don't worry about the rack rate, you will be fine. I used 2 of them showing 80K, and the agent specifically reminds me not to worry about it as it's for accounting purpose.
All good.
But did you use them on a night of the week that the certificate says it's not good for???

The OP has a Monday reservation with a "weekend" certificate only good for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. If that wasn't your case, I don't see why your case would necessarily be relevant then!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But did you use them on a night of the week that the certificate says it's not good for???

The OP has a Monday reservation with a "weekend" certificate only good for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. If that wasn't your case, I don't see why your case would necessarily be relevant then!
80K is for accounting purpose which explains why OP got it from confirmation on BOTH days. Not sure you claimed this is Not relevant.
Whatever they booked on the system, it's DONE in the system, the hotel won't able to tell if the booking agent use a "valid" cert or miles or pts or whatever.
Of course like others mentioned, you can call to confirm, but I think as long as the points was not deducted from your account, then, Don't call, it will "force" them to correct the mistake. maybe simply ask to check if you have extra reward cert to phone agent.

btw, I would rely with something more useful than just rack up the 10K posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.