Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Have you switched business away from Hilton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you switched business away from Hilton?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I am finishing an 11-night stay at Orlando. No HH nights at all, which would have been unheard of on prior trips. Will get to plastic Diamond through bonus category spending, but may not use it much.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Certainly not looking for a fight, however, as an alternative data point:

I am by no means pleased with the devaluation(s) that has taken place over the last few years and especially with the points now needed to get reward nights at good properties...however, I still find Hilton chain properties in Europe to be my first choice as they tend to all be of a quite high standard but not pretentious or too bling which both the wife and I appreciate.

I don't get nearly as much mileage out of the points I earn now but compared to the alternatives I have (IHG and Accor), Hilton is still my first choice due to the on property benefits and quality of the DT/Hiltons I can choose.

If I was travelling where there were Starwood properties I would definitely be giving them most of my business as they seem to offer the best program for people that stay with them over 75 nights a year...

I currently only need 5 stays to remain diamond for 2014 and for the first time in a long time I have no idea what I will do once I have these booked...IHG Plat was pretty much worthless for benefits at HI or HIX properties I can stay at and Accor is nearly the same with the Novotel and Mercure locations I can choose...so I may actually just try out some B & B places or independents for a change!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I've been Diamond now for about 7-8 years - easily making it by June(ish) of every year. This year, I'm only at 25 nights, although I probably will still make it by the end of the year.

I've moved a lot of my business to Marriott (where I am Gold), however, in many markets where I travel, Hilton has a much stronger footprint, and the prices are almost always cheaper than Marriott. For instance, for a trip next week I could stay at a Courtyard or HGI, with the Courtyard being $30 more a night.

I'm not really sure where my breaking point $ wise is for choosing one over the other, and if they are the same and my choice is Fairfield or Hampton, I'll pick Hampton every time. Some Fairfields, while they are making positive changes, and just plain AWFUL. A lot of the time it depends on the promo too - the Megabonus earlier this year with Marriott steered me much towards Marriott than Hilton.

With all that said, the bottom line is that for where I tend to travel it's hard to move 100% of my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.