Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Dubai {ARE}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoY
...ah yes the old one category upgrade BS. I was told that once upon a time & the front desk guy was absolutely adamant it was Honors policy & they can't deviate. I knew better. Spoke politely to a duty manager & she agreed that the front desk guy was wrong & I was apologetically given a suite. As I said above "buyer beware" at this hotel
This is one of my favourite dubai hotels and I must have stayed 5 or 6 times and always got a good upgrade. However, we stayed in May and was told that the deluxe suite was sold out for the next 3 days (a room i'd been upgraded to several times for free), so they couldn't upgrade us as Diamond members but would upgrade us to a higher category suite for an extra 700 a night (We had 2 small kids so the extra space was what I wanted). I declined, but decided to check on the website and put the next 3 days in and put 5 rooms in...Sure enough, I could book 5 deluxe suites if I wanted to for the entire period.

I showed the guy at reception who dismissed it as impossible and wrong, I was going to let it go, but I felt he wasn't being honest with me so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She backed up the front desk and first said that they all had late checkout (It was already 5pm), then changed the story to a system error. I know diamond upgrades are not guaranteed, but I just felt they weren't being honest. I let it go, went to the room and unpacked, then 10 minutes later got a call from reception and they had found a suite and would upgrade us after all!

I still like this hotel and think it's good value, especially for Diamond members, but this experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:01 pm

I don’t really understand the feedback on the upgrades. Hilton have never said you get a suite upgrade, and most hotels are the opposite. They class an upgrade as a better floor or a good view. This hotel should be praised for actively giving upgrades 100% of the time to me - sometimes I’ve had a suite and others I’ve had a corner room. I’m appreciative of them doing it.

I am with you on the air con though, so many Dubai hotels have the same issue of musty scents and condensation. I am not sure if it’s overworked or under maintained but it needs to be sorted.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:10 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by englisha
This is one of my favourite dubai hotels and I must have stayed 5 or 6 times and always got a good upgrade. However, we stayed in May and was told that the deluxe suite was sold out for the next 3 days (a room i'd been upgraded to several times for free), so they couldn't upgrade us as Diamond members but would upgrade us to a higher category suite for an extra 700 a night (We had 2 small kids so the extra space was what I wanted). I declined, but decided to check on the website and put the next 3 days in and put 5 rooms in...Sure enough, I could book 5 deluxe suites if I wanted to for the entire period.

I showed the guy at reception who dismissed it as impossible and wrong, I was going to let it go, but I felt he wasn't being honest with me so I asked to speak to a supervisor. She backed up the front desk and first said that they all had late checkout (It was already 5pm), then changed the story to a system error. I know diamond upgrades are not guaranteed, but I just felt they weren't being honest. I let it go, went to the room and unpacked, then 10 minutes later got a call from reception and they had found a suite and would upgrade us after all!

I still like this hotel and think it's good value, especially for Diamond members, but this experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
This hotel is consistently inconsistent
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by englisha
I know diamond upgrades are not guaranteed, but I just felt they weren't being honest. I let it go, went to the room and unpacked, then 10 minutes later got a call from reception and they had found a suite and would upgrade us after all!
This is what I hate the most - if you have the darned suite, don't fight tooth and nail pretending that you don't, especially if you're going to end up giving it to me anyway, because by that point any possible goodwill is long gone.
NoY likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by residentx
I don’t really understand the feedback on the upgrades. Hilton have never said you get a suite upgrade, and most hotels are the opposite. They class an upgrade as a better floor or a good view. This hotel should be praised for actively giving upgrades 100% of the time to me - sometimes I’ve had a suite and others I’ve had a corner room. I’m appreciative of them doing it.
I simply do not consider a standard executive floor room as any kind of an upgrade at all, when there is zero difference in hard product. If they had offered up the corner room from the start, I would not have minded nearly as much, but it was a real struggle getting even that.
I am with you on the air con though, so many Dubai hotels have the same issue of musty scents and condensation. I am not sure if it’s overworked or under maintained but it needs to be sorted.
I can't say it has been a noticeable problem in my usual list of hotels in Dubai - it's not the first time but I can't remember the last time it was this bad.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I simply do not consider a standard executive floor room as any kind of an upgrade at all, when there is zero difference in hard product. If they had offered up the corner room from the start, I would not have minded nearly as much, but it was a real struggle getting even that.I can't say it has been a noticeable problem in my usual list of hotels in Dubai - it's not the first time but I can't remember the last time it was this bad.
You may not, but Hilton’s T&C’s do. With Hilton I expect the room I booked and that leads to a much better experience. As you’ve alluded too I think I a corner room is better than the lowest level of suite here - a full size tub and bathroom over a lounge/kitchen.
8420PR likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stargold

Some helpful tips from my painful room experience:

- Avoid the Corner rooms on XX02 line or Deluxe Suites on XX01 line, unless you are on floor 30 or higher. Otherwise you will have the Fairmont seemingly about 10m across from the window.
- If you need a working desk or dislike cramped bathrooms, avoid the Deluxe Suites.
- Before unpacking your things, turn on the A/C and check for musty smells - it won't get any better with time so just change rooms.
- If you have a particularly room type you have in mind (entry level suite or higher), speak to the hotel in advance so that you aren't told at check-in you have been generously upgraded to a standard room on a higher floor.
I was on the 45th floor (IIRC) on my recent trip and also heard that dull thudding of music. Is there a nightclub in the Conrad tower?

And agree, as per my recent view the AC was pretty crap. Didn't have the musty issue on this trip though.. I had that at the V Hotel.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
I was on the 45th floor (IIRC) on my recent trip and also heard that dull thudding of music. Is there a nightclub in the Conrad tower?

And agree, as per my recent view the AC was pretty crap. Didn't have the musty issue on this trip though.. I had that at the V Hotel.
Kimpo is pretty loud and over the Fairmont side isn’t it? Closes at 1am but I’d be surprised if it travelled that far up.

There is also the Sky Lounge I think on 48 which is a late bar too, but not part of the hotels restaurants, rented out.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by residentx
Kimpo is pretty loud and over the Fairmont side isn’t it? Closes at 1am but I’d be surprised if it travelled that far up.

There is also the Sky Lounge I think on 48 which is a late bar too, but not part of the hotels restaurants, rented out.
Kimpo is somewhat loud (when you're inside) but it's not a nightclub and it's in the lobby of the Conrad. You can't hear it from the lobby let alone on the 45th floor! I'm wondering if there is something above then, perhaps it was the Sky Lounge..
Old Aug 21, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
As diamond does it matter what room I book as a base room in terms of the upgrade I receive back? Like if I were to book a corner room will I be more likely to get a suite as an update than if I booked the lowest level standard room?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:09 am

According to my experience, yes (although others have had better luck) - I suggest speaking to the hotel to avoid disappointment.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:39 pm

Should I avoid online checkin for this property as a diamond? It is only showing me a deluxe Seaview room
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Red259
Should I avoid online checkin for this property as a diamond? It is only showing me a deluxe Seaview room
IMO (and many others) you should always avoid online check-in (not only at this property but ALWAYS).
Old Aug 26, 2021, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by sbams
IMO (and many others) you should always avoid online check-in (not only at this property but ALWAYS).
Thanks. I'm in town already does it help my odds or hurt them to show up early and tell them if there is a better room becoming available later in the day I'm ok with waiting for it.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Red259
Thanks. I'm in town already does it help my odds or hurt them to show up early and tell them if there is a better room becoming available later in the day I'm ok with waiting for it.
Can't do any harm and may help you. Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.