FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1440180-2013-changes-hh-reward-stays-new-cat-more-pts-needed.html)

sbm12 Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 20282857)
Looked at the numbers more late last night and this morning. Running a report on ~22% of the hotels somewhat randomly chosen I came up with 45% of the month rates going up but 30% going down. Yes, the increases at the top are higher than the cuts at the bottom, but there are many hotels where the rates are getting better. Compare that to Marriott where 36% got worse and virtually none got better.

This change certainly isn't good. But it also isn't all bad.

And, FWIW, I added another 1000+ hotels to the analysis. I now have 1965 rows in the set. Of the 23580 hotel/months I checked 10637 got worse and 6190 got better. The rest are unchanged. Roughly the same rates still.

For those interested in Europe, Germany took a hit but Italy mostly got better. Spain is unchanged to slightly higher. Poland is mostly cheaper.

tusphotog Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am

I still haven't received the email from Hilton. :rolleyes: Time to do some platinum/diamond challenges with SPG and Hyatt!

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 20283675)
I guess there may be a market for those who want 6 points per $1 at hilton properties, but, frankly, I'd just rather use the chase sapphire and get 2x UR.

I'm in the same boat. I've got the free Hilton card and a Chase Sapphire. I'm thinking about changing all my spending to Chase (once they raise my credit limit), and switching to the Costco card or maybe the SPG card.

Does the Amex 1k booking bonus stay with these devaluations?

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am

SPG's changes are rationale and reasonable and they gave a breakdown state by state and country by country. ^

Ritz Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by iqbalt80 (Post 20280239)
I am sure after March 28th.. all the Category 10 properties should see a big drop in the number of visitors..

Originally Posted by jonu (Post 20283548)
I must have missed this. What's the change coming in May?

Covered upthread. And in another thread, devoted to the change.

ZontarTheThingFromVenus Feb 20, 2013 11:09 am

I think the problem is that most people have gotten used to the EXTREMELY good deals available in the past. For a moment, let's all pretend that HHonors doesn't exist and evaluate it fairly as a new program. For the moment I can basically purchase HH points through VR / CVS for $4 / 3000 = $.0013 per point at the current 6X rate, but for this example let's go with the more conservative $4 / 1500 = $.0027 per point at the default 3X rate. Under the new HH plan, I will be paying at most $.0027 x 95,000 = $256.50 per night for the most expensive room they have. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially considering that with other chains like Marriott you are lucky to get $.01 per point when cashing in and their CCs only give you 1 point per dollar on everyday spend.

Of course everyone wishes the old HH rates would remain, but we are looking at it from a spoiled point of view. Be fair, throw out the past, and evaluate HH as if it were a new program.

dwcatty Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by kawoh (Post 20280014)
Ditto, at least they could have offered us something like Lifetime Diamond for those of us who've spent 250+ stays with them over the years.

+1. Yes, a parting "gift" to those of us butt in beds types would have been nice. I certainly don't have any warm fuzzies for Hilton now, that's for sure.

lkar Feb 20, 2013 11:10 am

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 20284039)
I called to downgrade and was told "the system is not allowing downgrades from Surpass to the regular card right now." He is calling me back Tuesday and noting I called today to receive the pro-rated amount from today. They tried to get me to switch to the Blue Sky or Blue Cash. The Amex rep was shocked by the Hilton changes, I told him about 95K points for the Conrad Tokyo versus 37.5 on an AXON.

Does anyone know if one must be a current Amex Hilton holder for the AXON? I have one booked in July (Ocean City MD Hilton) and one in December (Conrad Tokyo). I'd rather just switch the card to the Blue Cash than even the regular Hilton Amex. However, I don't want to screw up the two awards.

I think Hilton basically dumped on the Amex relationship (or vice versa in negotiations) when it went with the citi branded cards. It will be interesting to see whether Amex fights to keep the business. I guess one would have to know how many Surpass card holders are out there. Amex still has a lock on SPG and that may be its priority. Other than the citi Hilton card, Chase seems like it has everyone else.

cummino Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am

GLON gone???

HI all, this is dispicable. It wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't increased the thresholds for the various tiers too, without telling anyone I might add!

Anyway, is GLON gone? I just tried to make a GLON booking for 5 nights in Hilton Cape Town in November and its saying there is a "technical fault" right now.....suspicious!

amanuensis Feb 20, 2013 11:18 am

I forget which blogger wrote it, but his take was that Hhonors was basically taking the Southwest approach -- using points as cash. He calculated that Hilton points are now roughly worth a half cent accross the board, when he compared how many points it will now take to book a standard room versus how many dollars it would take to book that room.

toomanybooks Feb 20, 2013 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus (Post 20284233)
For the moment I can basically purchase HH points through VR / CVS for $4 / 3000 = $.0013 per point at the current 6X rate...

How much longer do you think that's going to last?

Coolers Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am

Of course everyone wishes the old HH rates would remain, but we are looking at it from a spoiled point of view. Be fair, throw out the past, and evaluate HH as if it were a new program.

Except it's not a new program and people are not starting from scratch. Travelers chose to stay at Hiltons and points were earned based on existing redemption rates, some of which have skyrocketed.

luv2ctheworld Feb 20, 2013 11:25 am

...Of course everyone wishes the old HH rates would remain, but we are looking at it from a spoiled point of view. Be fair, throw out the past, and evaluate HH as if it were a new program.

I think if they were truly fair, they'd inflate our HHonors points to match the increase :P

But seriously, inflation is reality; however, the rate of inflation Hilton has made is ridiculous. And why should customers view it as a new program if they spent money earning it under the old one? Would you consider your wage to be equally subject to such rapid loss in value and feel that it is as simple as throw out the past?

Originally Posted by amanuensis (Post 20284295)
I forget which blogger wrote it, but his take was that Hhonors was basically taking the Southwest approach -- using points as cash. He calculated that Hilton points are now roughly worth a half cent accross the board, when he compared how many points it will now take to book a standard room versus how many dollars it would take to book that room.

I am afraid this will be the ultimate direction all airlines and hotels will go... DL just introduced their dollar spend criteria (MQD) as part of elite status; they supposedly will have the other shoe drop when they implement Fare Based Award Travel Redemption (FBATR) where redemption amount will be tied directly to fare value. Jet Blue pioneered this and Southwest RR 2.0 really made this a common concept (given their wide presence).

Everyone is tying points/miles to dollars spent... forget the loyalty aspect of it.

I am truly hoping I am wrong (and Delta sucks dirt), but like all these additional fees popping up, it's likely the trend.

beltway Feb 20, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy (Post 20282010)
Well it's a start,,,,
I just dusted off my Chase Freedom for the 5% cash back on gas this quarter instead of the 6 devalued points on Hilton Amex.

That makes sense, although IMO it never made sense to do anything else. Five UR points equals 5 flexible, immediately transferable points/miles in the UA, Hyatt, Amtrak, etc. programs (where returns of 2-3 cents/pt are not hard to come by). I'd say 6 HH points wasn't competitive with that even before the Great Disemboweling we've just witnessed.

kb_rembrandt Feb 20, 2013 11:32 am

4 credit cards. Transfers from Hawaii and Virgin. 6x bonuses. Hilton caused their own devaluation and we are simply caught up in it. It is now making full sense why the credit cards are changing their bonus spending structures 2 months after HH changes redemption rates. HH is trying to reel back in the billions of points that are out there from non-frequent hotel guests. As pissed as I am about these changes, I will be even more upset if they don't learn from this. As a gold, I shouldn't have accumulated more points last year from spend and CC bonuses than I did from stays.

ZontarTheThingFromVenus Feb 20, 2013 11:33 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 20284308)
How much longer do you think that's going to last?

That's why I used the more conservative 3X rate in my example.

And I will be taking maximum advantage of the 6X rate until May. ;)