Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Arrow Dublin, Ireland: The Morrison, Curio collection by Hilton [was Doubletree] {IRL}

Edit: looks like it's official that The Morrison will be re-opening in February as a DoubleTree, category 6.
http://www.independent.ie/business/i...t-3341918.html

In planning a trip to Dublin for next July, I've been browsing Hilton properties there on and off, and noticed this week that they had added a DoubleTree property that was joining the Hilton portfolio soon. It has it's own page already saying that it's The Morrison hotel and would be available Feb 2013. Address and pictures on the DoubleTree site all matched up, and even the date matches up with The Morrison's website detailing their refurbishment that is planned to be finished in Feb 2013, but no mention that it would be re branded as a DoubleTree.

Digging deeper, I've seen multiple new articles stating that Blackstone had purchased the Burlington Hotel, and it was expected that this would become a DoubleTree. I can't find any info on the Morrison and Hilton, but maybe they entered into a management agreement?

Anyone have any extra information on this? I was excited about the Morrison, as the location is better than the other two Hilton properties, and prices would likely be below the Conrad. The Burlington looks to be in the general area as the Hilton and Conrad, but would be the furthest of the 3 from central Dublin. Also if they are planning a major refurbishment of the Burlington, it must be a ways off as there is no mention of it anywhere.

Now if the Morrison really is going to be a DoubleTree, I wonder what will become of the Burlington, perhaps a Waldorf?

Last edited by roknroll; Jan 3, 2013 at 11:01 am Reason: updated with current info
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by roknroll
In planning a trip to Dublin for next July, I've been browsing Hilton properties there on and off, and noticed this week that they had added a DoubleTree property that was joining the Hilton portfolio soon. It has it's own page already saying that it's The Morrison hotel and would be available Feb 2013. Address and pictures on the DoubleTree site all matched up, and even the date matches up with The Morrison's website detailing their refurbishment that is planned to be finished in Feb 2013, but no mention that it would be re branded as a DoubleTree.

Digging deeper, I've seen multiple new articles stating that Blackstone had purchased the Burlington Hotel, and it was expected that this would become a DoubleTree. I can't find any info on the Morrison and Hilton, but maybe they entered into a management agreement?

Anyone have any extra information on this? I was excited about the Morrison, as the location is better than the other two Hilton properties, and prices would likely be below the Conrad. The Burlington looks to be in the general area as the Hilton and Conrad, but would be the furthest of the 3 from central Dublin. Also if they are planning a major refurbishment of the Burlington, it must be a ways off as there is no mention of it anywhere.

Now if the Morrison really is going to be a DoubleTree, I wonder what will become of the Burlington, perhaps a Waldorf?
Why couldn't there be two doubletrees? There was this post about the Burlington in the joining/leaving thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19740942-post323.html
Doesn't sound like WA level to me.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Why couldn't there be two doubletrees? There was this post about the Burlington in the joining/leaving thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19740942-post323.html
Doesn't sound like WA level to me.
I guess it is possible, but seems a little excessive considering there area already 3 other Hilton properties in Dublin. It does indeed look like Blackstone purchased the Burlington, do they operate any other hotel chains that it might be re-branded as? Also wondering if the Hilton web team majorly screwed up and filled in details about the wrong hotel?

Sounds like there will be a lot of money going into refurbishing the Burlington from what the articles state, which could bring it up to the level of a WA. Considering that the Conrad in Dublin isn't exactly up to the standards of other Conrads, adding a WA might fit in better?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I guess it is possible, but seems a little excessive considering there area already 3 other Hilton properties in Dublin. It does indeed look like Blackstone purchased the Burlington, do they operate any other hotel chains that it might be re-branded as? Also wondering if the Hilton web team majorly screwed up and filled in details about the wrong hotel?

Sounds like there will be a lot of money going into refurbishing the Burlington from what the articles state, which could bring it up to the level of a WA. Considering that the Conrad in Dublin isn't exactly up to the standards of other Conrads, adding a WA might fit in better?
Look at how many DT's have been added in London recently.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Delighted to hear The Morrison is joining the Hilton group - the hotel is now owned by a Russian billionaire

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327142369.html
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

That article makes it sound like the same management company will still be running The Morrison. Plus here's the response I just got back from my inquiry to Hilton yesterday:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding a new Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Dublin, IE for opening sometime in February 2013. We apologize for any inconvenience but we currently are not showing any new hotel in our system at this time.
Making me think that this is indeed some mistake and The Morrison won't be a Hilton? I'm going to email back with the link to the DoubleTree page for that hotel.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:34 pm
soy

Programs: various
No chance that the Burlington will become a WA. It will become a Doubletree. Doubt the Morrison will become a Hilton property.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
well, if you try to book a room in dublin you are offered
'The Morrison, a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel' - opening soon

So presumably the Morrison is indeed headed for a DT rebranding.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

That article makes it sound like the same management company will still be running The Morrison. Plus here's the response I just got back from my inquiry to Hilton yesterday:

Making me think that this is indeed some mistake and The Morrison won't be a Hilton? I'm going to email back with the link to the DoubleTree page for that hotel.
After emailing back with a link to the hotel site, this is the reply I got back. It does sound like the Morrison will indeed be a DoubleTree opening in Feb.
Thank you for writing back and we regret that our website was not clearer. The Morrison, a Doubletree by Hilton hotel is not scheduled to open until February 2013. We have not been provided with an exact date of when they will be accepting reservations. Per the website link that you sent our office, the hotel is scheduled to be a HHonors Reward Category 6. This information is listed above the "At a Glance" section on the website.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm looking at Dublin for July too, previously stayed in the Burlington which was rather dated and a little sad. It will take a fair bit of effort to bring to a good WA standard though it does have the bones. The Morrison looks like a great option once they open up reservations.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Formerly lived under a mile from it and can't see the Burlington being a W=A; doesn't have enough gravitas. Too large to be a Conrad (and Conrad seems to generally be one per city).

Of the properties already in the city, the Dublin Airport one really ought to be a HGI rather than a Hilton.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:01 am
soy

Programs: various
Maybe Dublin will get 2 doubletrees, the Burlo and Morrisons.
If so, it would be entirely in keeping with the random inconsistency of the DT brand

Agree about the airport being a HGI
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Got a message back from The Morrison after a few days of waiting. They said that the official press release went out this morning confirming that they will be a DoubleTree after reopening in February ^

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...t-3341918.html
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Looks like it's open for reservations now. Very reasonable for a great location and newly renovated hotel. It's around $200 USD per night in July for the standard room, and not much more to get a river view or a larger deluxe room. Category 6, so 40k per night for award stays. We're leaning heavily towards this, but also might do the Radisson on points, just trying to decide.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Looks like it's open for reservations now. Very reasonable for a great location and newly renovated hotel. It's around $200 USD per night in July for the standard room, and not much more to get a river view or a larger deluxe room. Category 6, so 40k per night for award stays. We're leaning heavily towards this, but also might do the Radisson on points, just trying to decide.
Doing the same thing, except it is between the Morrison and the Conrad. Need 2 rooms so I booked for 4 nights, 136,000 for the Morrison then called the diamond desk for an AXON to save 11,000 points but the CSR could not see the Morrison in her system so I booked the Conrad too for the same dates for 145,000. The Morrison's location seems great for the touristy things.

Would love to hear how the renovation went now that they opened yesterday and how breakfast goes as well as diamond/gold perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.