Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree refuses to release $6k in cc authorizations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree refuses to release $6k in cc authorizations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
an update

There has been no communication from the hotel management. I would have thought that a good general manager would have reached out to me given the information I provided to Guest Assistance. However, one of the authorizations was released today, so we're under $3100 in open authorizations now.

The team I am working with is well aware of this situation. As a group, we have spent $40k at the hotel this month. The incompetence of the hotel in resolving my issue will likely result in our similar spending next month going to one of the competing hotels down the street.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ecaarch
There has been no communication from the hotel management. I would have thought that a good general manager would have reached out to me given the information I provided to Guest Assistance. However, one of the authorizations was released today, so we're under $3100 in open authorizations now.

The team I am working with is well aware of this situation. As a group, we have spent $40k at the hotel this month. The incompetence of the hotel in resolving my issue will likely result in our similar spending next month going to one of the competing hotels down the street.
That is the only way to be heard. Move your business if you're dissatisfied.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by Often1
+1

And if you haven't already, let the GM know that you're re-directing a $40K spend to his competitor down the road based on their failure to resolve your dispute.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

There has been no communication from the hotel management. I would have thought that a good general manager would have reached out to me given the information I provided to Guest Assistance.
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
+1

And if you haven't already, let the GM know that you're re-directing a $40K spend to his competitor down the road based on their failure to resolve your dispute.
I understand that mistakes sometimes happen, and I understand that employees sometimes violate the policies and procedures of their employer. I am not sure what has occurred to me. But when something goes awry, good management corrects the error, great management corrects and compensates for the error, but bad management pretends nothing happened. The silence from the hotel management has been deafening.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
+1

But, as I've said, don't threaten to do it. Do it and then tell them you already did it. The world is full of people who threaten properties every day with the loss of business. When they don't do it, it only reaffirms to management that it can do a poor job and suffer no consequences. Or, in a worst case scenario, they buy back loyalty with a free drink coupon or somesuch.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
But, as I've said, don't threaten to do it. Do it and then tell them you already did it. The world is full of people who threaten properties every day with the loss of business. When they don't do it, it only reaffirms to management that it can do a poor job and suffer no consequences. Or, in a worst case scenario, they buy back loyalty
with a free drink coupon or somesuch.
I had to do that once -- I had booked (a non Hilton) at a deep discount rate, which the hotel refused to honor.

I told them the next time I was coming to that city, I wouldn't be staying with them -- a true statement because I already had reservations for two nights later with a different chain and was going somewhere else in between.

I told them when I checked out that I was going to dispute the charge and wound up getting them to lower the rate if I sent them a fax and they eventually made good on it.

I haven't stayed with them since and rarely stay at that chain anymore.

In the OP's case, I'd get a different credit card.

Bob H
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
What's the credit card got to do with anything? OP mentioned that AMEX have been very good at dealing with this.

I support moving your business elsewhere and letting the hotel Mgmt and Hilton know about this. Hilton chain needs to keep their hotels responsible for such screw-ups. You are obviously a person who spends more than 10-12k/year with Hilton, and if they don't care about you, that tells a lot about their focus...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
But, as I've said, don't threaten to do it. Do it and then tell them you already did it.
+1
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by CAlex
What's the credit card got to do with anything? OP mentioned that AMEX have been very good at dealing with this.
Let me repeat again. It is up to Amex how long they take before dropping off pending authorizations. Apparently, they are taking a long time.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by CAlex
The merchant normally does not "release" authorizations. They put it through and if a charge follows then the charge takes the place of the authorization, if no charge follows, the credit card company has a policy of how many days it will take to release. In this case, it appears Amex is seven days.

The merchant is to blame for putting them through, Amex is to blame for not releasing them in some amount of time.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
The merchant normally does not "release" authorizations. They put it through and if a charge follows then the charge takes the place of the authorization, if no charge follows, the credit card company has a policy of how many days it will take to release. In this case, it appears Amex is seven days.

The merchant is to blame for putting them through, Amex is to blame for not releasing them in some amount of time.
While this is largely correct, when a merchant contacts Merchant Services at AmEx, they can request that an authorization be removed immediately. When the merchant does so, the release is almost instantaneous. In this case, the merchant (hotel) couldn't be bothered to take that small step.

An additional update - The last of the authorizations has dropped off of my card. However, there still has not been ANY communication from the hotel management. When I was a fast food manager in college, I was taught better management principles than has been exhibited by this hotel senior staff.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While this is largely correct, when a merchant contacts Merchant Services at AmEx, they can request that an authorization be removed immediately. When the merchant does so, the release is almost instantaneous. In this case, the merchant (hotel) couldn't be bothered to take that small step.

While they could have, I bet they pretty much decided not to at this step

Dec 11 – I see my statement for AmEx card #1 showing $1935.00 in charges from the hotel. I go ballistic. The hotel issues a credit to AmEx card #1 for $1935.00.
They pretty much decided when you "go ballistic" that they were going to do nothing at all for you, deciding then that it would be left till it rolled off on it's own.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Dec 11 – I see my statement for AmEx card #1 showing $1935.00 in charges from the hotel. I go ballistic. The hotel issues a credit to AmEx card #1 for $1935.00.
Originally Posted by cordelli
They pretty much decided when you "go ballistic" that they were going to do nothing at all for you, deciding then that it would be left till it rolled off on it's own.
You are likely correct. The irony is that I am an extremely low key kinda guy, believeing in the honey vs. vinegar approach. However, when I found out that the hotel had charged over $5k and authorized an additional $6k on my credit card for a stay that had incurred charges of less than $3k to that time, I was probably within my rights to go ballistic.

While some have implied that I should have had a higher credit line, or that these things just happen, I have a hard time swallowing the concept that it is in any way reasonable for a hotel to tie up over $10k of my credit line for a stay of less than $3k (unless, of course, I was touring with a band and they feared I would trash a room )
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by holtju2
Those authorizations will eventually drop off (5 to 30 days) If $6K temporarily credit line reduction is cramping your style, maybe it is time for some lifestyle adjustment.
Pardon us, some people have had personal business issues that dinged our credit so yes, having 1k, let alone 6k tied up on our card kills us.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Pardon us, some people have had personal business issues that dinged our credit so yes, having 1k, let alone 6k tied up on our card kills us.
We all have different circumstances and none of us, including some that have posted earlier in this thread, should be making judgements about another's situation. The reality is that no hotel should ever be in a position to tie up more credit, whether by authorizations or by actual charges, than the anticipated charges to be incurred. Period.

Since there has still been no response from the hotel management, I felt obligated to share a glowing review of the property on TripAdvisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.