Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can I check-in a reservation under my husband name but he is not staying with me?

Can I check-in a reservation under my husband name but he is not staying with me?

Old Dec 12, 12, 2:01 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 267
Can I check-in a reservation under my husband name but he is not staying with me?

I reserved a night at the Doubletree hotel under my husband's account, so the room is under his name. However he is not able to change his flight to the same day as mine, so he will not stay the night.

My question is: can I check in without him? will his gold member's benefit (internet access) be extended to me? or should I call and change the reservation to my own name. I am just staying there for an early flight the next morning.
lililolo is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 3:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 2,505
Originally Posted by lililolo View Post
I reserved a night at the Doubletree hotel under my husband's account, so the room is under his name. However he is not able to change his flight to the same day as mine, so he will not stay the night.

My question is: can I check in without him? will his gold member's benefit (internet access) be extended to me? or should I call and change the reservation to my own name. I am just staying there for an early flight the next morning.

You did not say where the hotel is. In las Vegas for instance this would not be permitted as what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. This can be on a by hotel basis.
worldiswide is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 3:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Scotland
Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Posts: 1,122
Yup, shouldn't be a problem -- my wife and I have done this often. So long as you quote the name & the confirmation number, and just explain upon check-in that you have arrived ahead of your husband, there should be no issue.
Rickers is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 5:50 am
  #4  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,752
You may also try to get your name added to the reservation in advance... or at a minimum, reach out to the hotel. You do not want to wait until you arrive to find out that the hotel is being very strict and won't let you in.
wharvey is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 6:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PHL
Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Posts: 179
They may ask for your name beforehand and for you to put it on your own credit card until he arrives.
thphilly is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 6:29 am
  #6  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,801
Checking in should not be a problem, though I would have him call to add you to the reservation so there is less of a chance of there being any issues.

Benefits however depend on the hotel. Some hotels won't extend them unless the person with status stands in front of them. Some won't care.
cordelli is offline  
Old Dec 12, 12, 6:56 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY
Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 582
Be warned that some hotels require photo ID to match the name on the reservation.
Smaug is online now  
Old Dec 12, 12, 8:00 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
When your husband does not check in, the reservation will be changed to your name anyway.

So, if you have an hhonors account you will be able to get the credit, but he will not (unless the hotel does not change the name to yours---but this is hoping they make a mistake which may or may not happen).

and, you should be required to supply a credit card in your name upon check in
and pay for the bill in a CC that's in your name upon check out.
shoreline is offline  
Old Dec 16, 12, 12:39 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: Hyatt Glob;Marriott Ambassador; Hilton DIA Delta Plat; AA Ex Plat
Posts: 193
I would check in online if offerd. Should be no problem. Agree with adding name to res, but not critical.
I 40 is offline  
Old Dec 16, 12, 8:27 pm
  #10  
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Posts: 22,830
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
So, if you have an hhonors account you will be able to get the credit, but he will not....
Why are you posting this? Did this happen to you?

By the book/T&Cs, how you posted is correct, but it isn't reality.
Sweet Willie is online now  
Old Dec 16, 12, 10:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,689
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
Why are you posting this? Did this happen to you?

By the book/T&Cs, how you posted is correct, but it isn't reality.
When you check into a hotel and your name is not on the reservation the hotel most often (and is suppose to) change the reservation to your name (the party checking in).

So, once the room is in your name and you check out with a CC in your name, you can add your hhonors number to the reservation--before they ring you out (if you were the staying and paying party). Or, if you forget or do not add your number to the reservation, but it was placed in your name, you can call to have it added to your account. Because, if you are the staying and paying party it is your stay and you will/ can get your credit as an hhonors member.

That's simply how the hhonors program works. If the reservation was never placed in your name, you will have trouble getting credit and will likely not be successful in asking.

Last edited by shoreline; Dec 16, 12 at 10:47 pm
shoreline is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 6:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to London...... bye Florida
Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Posts: 5,058
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
When you check into a hotel and your name is not on the reservation the hotel most often (and is suppose to) change the reservation to your name (the party checking in).

So, once the room is in your name and you check out with a CC in your name, you can add your hhonors number to the reservation--before they ring you out (if you were the staying and paying party). Or, if you forget or do not add your number to the reservation, but it was placed in your name, you can call to have it added to your account. Because, if you are the staying and paying party it is your stay and you will/ can get your credit as an hhonors member.

That's simply how the hhonors program works. If the reservation was never placed in your name, you will have trouble getting credit and will likely not be successful in asking.
Actually the hotel should not let you check in on a reservation that your name is not on. there should be no changing the name on a reservation. There are hotels that don' care and some that do.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 7:17 am
  #13  
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Posts: 22,830
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
That's simply how the hhonors program works.
in reality it doesn't work how you state, maybe it should, but it doesn't (at least w/my personal 20yrs w/Hilton, my wife checks in numerous times before me & uses her CC, we check out & I never present myself nor my CC w/my name on it, HHonors points go to my account)
Sweet Willie is online now  
Old Dec 17, 12, 9:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: BA Silver, HH diamond, SPG Gold, whole lot of almost on a whole lot of others
Posts: 2,638
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie View Post
in reality it doesn't work how you state, maybe it should, but it doesn't (at least w/my personal 20yrs w/Hilton, my wife checks in numerous times before me & uses her CC, we check out & I never present myself nor my CC w/my name on it, HHonors points go to my account)
It does work as shoreline states. I made a res for a friend and me, my HHonors # & credit card on the res. My friend checked in hours before me. I never stopped by the FD. My name was completely removed from the reservation and I did NOT get credit for the stay because I did not stop by the FD. DD could not help since they had no proof I was ever there. The res was changed to my friend's name ONLY.
travelinfoo is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 1:07 pm
  #15  
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ORD (MDW stinks)
Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Posts: 22,830
Originally Posted by travelinfoo View Post
It does work as shoreline states.
it does not work as shoreline states as of 2 weeks ago with a reservation the Mrs & I had.

if this is something very new Hilton is doing, fine I'll accept that, but to say it has been this way for awhile I won't as my experience is different.
Sweet Willie is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: