Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can I check-in a reservation under my husband name but he is not staying with me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I check-in a reservation under my husband name but he is not staying with me?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:01 am
Original Poster

I reserved a night at the Doubletree hotel under my husband's account, so the room is under his name. However he is not able to change his flight to the same day as mine, so he will not stay the night.

My question is: can I check in without him? will his gold member's benefit (internet access) be extended to me? or should I call and change the reservation to my own name. I am just staying there for an early flight the next morning.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lililolo
I reserved a night at the Doubletree hotel under my husband's account, so the room is under his name. However he is not able to change his flight to the same day as mine, so he will not stay the night.

My question is: can I check in without him? will his gold member's benefit (internet access) be extended to me? or should I call and change the reservation to my own name. I am just staying there for an early flight the next morning.

You did not say where the hotel is. In las Vegas for instance this would not be permitted as what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. This can be on a by hotel basis.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Yup, shouldn't be a problem -- my wife and I have done this often. So long as you quote the name & the confirmation number, and just explain upon check-in that you have arrived ahead of your husband, there should be no issue.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You may also try to get your name added to the reservation in advance... or at a minimum, reach out to the hotel. You do not want to wait until you arrive to find out that the hotel is being very strict and won't let you in.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
They may ask for your name beforehand and for you to put it on your own credit card until he arrives.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Checking in should not be a problem, though I would have him call to add you to the reservation so there is less of a chance of there being any issues.

Benefits however depend on the hotel. Some hotels won't extend them unless the person with status stands in front of them. Some won't care.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Be warned that some hotels require photo ID to match the name on the reservation.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:00 am

When your husband does not check in, the reservation will be changed to your name anyway.

So, if you have an hhonors account you will be able to get the credit, but he will not (unless the hotel does not change the name to yours---but this is hoping they make a mistake which may or may not happen).

and, you should be required to supply a credit card in your name upon check in
and pay for the bill in a CC that's in your name upon check out.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
I would check in online if offerd. Should be no problem. Agree with adding name to res, but not critical.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shoreline
So, if you have an hhonors account you will be able to get the credit, but he will not....
Why are you posting this? Did this happen to you?

By the book/T&Cs, how you posted is correct, but it isn't reality.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Why are you posting this? Did this happen to you?

By the book/T&Cs, how you posted is correct, but it isn't reality.
When you check into a hotel and your name is not on the reservation the hotel most often (and is suppose to) change the reservation to your name (the party checking in).

So, once the room is in your name and you check out with a CC in your name, you can add your hhonors number to the reservation--before they ring you out (if you were the staying and paying party). Or, if you forget or do not add your number to the reservation, but it was placed in your name, you can call to have it added to your account. Because, if you are the staying and paying party it is your stay and you will/ can get your credit as an hhonors member.

That's simply how the hhonors program works. If the reservation was never placed in your name, you will have trouble getting credit and will likely not be successful in asking.

Last edited by shoreline; Dec 16, 2012 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
When you check into a hotel and your name is not on the reservation the hotel most often (and is suppose to) change the reservation to your name (the party checking in).

So, once the room is in your name and you check out with a CC in your name, you can add your hhonors number to the reservation--before they ring you out (if you were the staying and paying party). Or, if you forget or do not add your number to the reservation, but it was placed in your name, you can call to have it added to your account. Because, if you are the staying and paying party it is your stay and you will/ can get your credit as an hhonors member.

That's simply how the hhonors program works. If the reservation was never placed in your name, you will have trouble getting credit and will likely not be successful in asking.
Actually the hotel should not let you check in on a reservation that your name is not on. there should be no changing the name on a reservation. There are hotels that don' care and some that do.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:17 am

That's simply how the hhonors program works.
in reality it doesn't work how you state, maybe it should, but it doesn't (at least w/my personal 20yrs w/Hilton, my wife checks in numerous times before me & uses her CC, we check out & I never present myself nor my CC w/my name on it, HHonors points go to my account)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
in reality it doesn't work how you state, maybe it should, but it doesn't (at least w/my personal 20yrs w/Hilton, my wife checks in numerous times before me & uses her CC, we check out & I never present myself nor my CC w/my name on it, HHonors points go to my account)
It does work as shoreline states. I made a res for a friend and me, my HHonors # & credit card on the res. My friend checked in hours before me. I never stopped by the FD. My name was completely removed from the reservation and I did NOT get credit for the stay because I did not stop by the FD. DD could not help since they had no proof I was ever there. The res was changed to my friend's name ONLY.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
It does work as shoreline states.
it does not work as shoreline states as of 2 weeks ago with a reservation the Mrs & I had.

if this is something very new Hilton is doing, fine I'll accept that, but to say it has been this way for awhile I won't as my experience is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.