Wiki Posts
Search

How far out do prices go down?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
How far out do prices go down?

I want to book a room for Nov 2013 and I know I have to wait 365 days before I can book but it looks like rooms that far out are super expensive. When do prices typically start to drop?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by poser
I want to book a room for Nov 2013 and I know I have to wait 365 days before I can book but it looks like rooms that far out are super expensive. When do prices typically start to drop?
Wait for a sale, like "the great getaway" etc

Otherwise, if you really absolutely must book your room 365 days in advance, pick a rate like AAA which you can cancel and rebook if something cheaper comes up.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Wait for a sale, like "the great getaway" etc

Otherwise, if you really absolutely must book your room 365 days in advance, pick a rate like AAA which you can cancel and rebook if something cheaper comes up.
A different strategy would (if you know for sure you're going to be some where) is to book the room at a refundable rate, then watch the rate and use the change module....

This works for me often.

Bob H
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
A different strategy would (if you know for sure you're going to be some where) is to book the room at a refundable rate, then watch the rate and use the change module....

This works for me often.

Bob H
I'm not sure what the change module is but I have booked, cancelled and then rebooked many times.

Bobette
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by b1513
I'm not sure what the change module is but I have booked, cancelled and then rebooked many times.

Bobette
You don't have to take the cancel the reservation step, just look at your present reservations on line and you'll find what I'm typing about.

(any pun intended!)

Bob H
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Book a room

Keep checking the reservation, if the rate is lower just modify the reservation for the lower rate.

There's no pattern to rate changes. It could be months out, or it could be two days that the rates will drop, or it could go up.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by cordelli
Book a room

Keep checking the reservation, if the rate is lower just modify the reservation for the lower rate.

There's no pattern to rate changes. It could be months out, or it could be two days that the rates will drop, or it could go up.
Trying to book for a conference, so it will be expensive but I'm hoping I can get rooms at a decent rate before they jump to crazy conference rate.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by poser
Trying to book for a conference, so it will be expensive but I'm hoping I can get rooms at a decent rate before they jump to crazy conference rate.
That may be the issue for the crazy expensive rate. If it's a large conference, the hotel most likely knows about it and will not drop the rates for the conference time. Just like at popular resorts, if you try to book at a special time (like Christmas), it's not going to matter how far in advance you book - it's gonna cost you!!!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
You don't have to take the cancel the reservation step, just look at your present reservations on line and you'll find what I'm typing about.

(any pun intended!)

Bob H
After all these years I just noticed this today (after reading this thread) and modified a reservation for Monday. Thanks.

Bobette
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by b1513
After all these years I just noticed this today (after reading this thread) and modified a reservation for Monday. Thanks.

Bobette
Always check hotel and car rental reservations. You can save a ton of money sometimes when the rate goes down. Make sure to print out the new information, some hotels (Hilton Newark Airport for example) will pretend they don't have the lower rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.