Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Doha {QAT}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Any more recent reviews than gtp4all's review from June 2014? Are the points gtp4all raises addressed or for the worse these days? I've stayed at DT and spg properties as a comparison. The DT was very different from my other hotel choices.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:04 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by remymartin
Any more recent reviews than gtp4all's review from June 2014? Are the points gtp4all raises addressed or for the worse these days? I've stayed at DT and spg properties as a comparison. The DT was very different from my other hotel choices.
We enjoyed or stay there in March 2017. On arrival, as a Hilton Honors Diamond member, we were upgraded to a large corner Executive room with comfortable King bed and large bathroom with free standing bath, separate walk-in shower and separate toilet/ bidet enclosure. Nice Executive lounge with good choice of food each evening and also wine and beer available. No spirits or sparkling wines as in some other Hilton Executive lounges. Great choice at the breakfast buffet in the restaurant each morning. Loved the pool area and private beach, which were very quiet during our visit. All staff were friendly There was some motorbike noise late at nights and we did hear this on a couple of nights even on the 11th floor, so if possible try and get a higher floor. Enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by rash76
Sorry for the delayed reply, you understood right I think. Hotel said its fine for someone else IF I pay with points. Diamond desk said that the hotel is wrong and I can prepay or pay with points, another named guest is allowed. Lets see what happens
I'm not sure what exactly you asked the hotel or the Diamond desk. You can always add a second guest to the reservation, booking either a paid rate or using points, and can easily do that online. As has been discussed, if you want to book a room only in your sister's name, that can be done using points by calling in. The issue with a second guest checking in without the primary guest being present is that the hotel will want a copy of all guests' passports. As I mentioned, the usual approach to that is to have the second guest check in and say the primary guest is traveling
separately, or, try faxing your passport (or both your and your sister's passports) to the hotel in advance, saying it is to save time at check-in. No guarantees, but this has worked for some people at some international properties.

Edited to add: I happened to say a post elsewhere that says that if you call to book a paid room in someone else's name (not in your name), the hotel will see your status. I have not ever done this myself so I can't say if it is true.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:06 pm

I stay at this hotel fairly often, most recently a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to search for a post by someone from 2014, and you didn't link to it, so I don't know what the concerns are, but if you have specific questions I can try to answer.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
We enjoyed or stay there in March 2017. On arrival, as a Hilton Honors Diamond member, we were upgraded to a large corner Executive room with comfortable King bed and large bathroom with free standing bath, separate walk-in shower and separate toilet/ bidet enclosure. Nice Executive lounge with good choice of food each evening and also wine and beer available. No spirits or sparkling wines as in some other Hilton Executive lounges. Great choice at the breakfast buffet in the restaurant each morning. Loved the pool area and private beach, which were very quiet during our visit. All staff were friendly There was some motorbike noise late at nights and we did hear this on a couple of nights even on the 11th floor, so if possible try and get a higher floor. Enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by anabolism
I stay at this hotel fairly often, most recently a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to search for a post by someone from 2014, and you didn't link to it, so I don't know what the concerns are, but if you have specific questions I can try to answer.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...1&postcount=16

Is the choice of beverages still the same as described by cjd? I get the sense hotels might be trying more since the blockade came into effect? How are the other food & beverage outlets in the hotel?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Thanks!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...1&postcount=16

Is the choice of beverages still the same as described by cjd? I get the sense hotels might be trying more since the blockade came into effect? How are the other food & beverage outlets in the hotel?
Sorry, I never pay attention to the beverages offered in the executive lounge during evening hors d'oeuvres. The lower level restaurant has a very nice breakfast spread, with many food items that are regional (e.g., halva, z'attar, certain cheeses). They have lunch and dinner buffet, but I haven't tried them.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
was there last week for 3 days - Exec Lounge:
06.00 - 10.00 Breakfast - as well as normal selection they will cook eggs to order - fried / poached / scrambled. Fresh orange juice and apple juice in the fridge
10.00-18.00 Cakes, cheese, biscuits
18.00 - 20.00 Hot dishes and salads - whilst there they had veg lasagne, and other decent offererings, plus soups and salads, cheese & biscuits, desert cakes
20.00-23.00 Just coffee machine from memory.

Various bottled beers in the fridges (sorry don't drink so didn't pay much attention)

Upgraded to room on high floor with sea view - good internet speed - didn't have to wait long for the elevators.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by holmedown
was there last week for 3 days - Exec Lounge:
06.00 - 10.00 Breakfast - as well as normal selection they will cook eggs to order - fried / poached / scrambled. Fresh orange juice and apple juice in the fridge
10.00-18.00 Cakes, cheese, biscuits
18.00 - 20.00 Hot dishes and salads - whilst there they had veg lasagne, and other decent offererings, plus soups and salads, cheese & biscuits, desert cakes
20.00-23.00 Just coffee machine from memory.

Various bottled beers in the fridges (sorry don't drink so didn't pay much attention)

Upgraded to room on high floor with sea view - good internet speed - didn't have to wait long for the elevators.
Thanks! I noted you enjoyed the music from Pure in the DT thread. Does the Hilton have anything similar?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Thanks! I noted you enjoyed the music from Pure in the DT thread. Does the Hilton have anything similar?
There is a Tiki bar/restaurant/music club (can't remember the name) that belongs to the Hilton outside by the pool which goes on till late - think on Tripadvisor it was mentioned about the noise - but I didn't notice it but had a high room - but in any case it is not "club music" like the Doubletree. Given the choice of the two I would stay at Doubletree as was better for me.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:12 pm

The Hilton Doha has a night club on weekend nights only. It creates a lot of noise (I was in a Panoramic Suite which is on the end) even on the highest floors. It also creates a lot of traffic to/from the hotel and in the area. I was in a hotel-supplied car from the airport and it was a mess with long delays just trying to pull into the hotel to let us off. It also causes crowds needing to be screened to enter the hotel.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:45 pm

I stayed here for one night recently. I received an upgrade to a massive panoramic suite (corner suite). I did visit the Waikiki village but I can't say it was very busy on a Saturday night. I don't know if the hotel was not too busy, but the beach was highly underutilised.

Last edited by remymartin; Feb 16, 2019 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I had several recent stays here. I was upgraded on each occasion, once to a panoramic suite. On one stay I had a late flight out and the hotel allowed me a 6pm check out without charge. Used uber to and from the airport and around town.

I thought that the breakfast in Mawasem restaurant was excellent and superior to the DT. The lounge offerings in the afternoon and evening were fine. The lounge would receive quite the rush in the evening and finding a place to sit could be difficult.

Watched premier league football at Shots the sports bar. The service in the bar was excellent even though it was quite busy as expats from all over had gathered to watch the match.

Trader Vic's is the night club on the beach separated from the hotel proper. I noticed no noise from the club on my high floor.

The fitness centre included a normal Hilton complement of aerobic machines and limited weights. It was never crowded in the early mornings when I was there.

Towels are provided for the pool and beach chairs. I never had a problem finding an open chair. In February/march, the hotel does block the afternoon sun from most of the pool/beach area.

I quite enjoyed the property and prefer it over the doubletree.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:12 pm

I did visit the Waikiki village but I can't say it was very busy on a Saturday night..
What is the Waikiki village?

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Trader Vic's is the night club on the beach separated from the hotel proper. I noticed no noise from the club on my high floor.
Trader Vic's is the restaurant/bar to the left of the beach. I believe there is a separate nightclub to the right of the beach, with a low building right on the beach, and a set back rooftop area for dancing and such further back. That one gets quite loud and very busy on certain weekend nights.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
What is the Waikiki village?
That's the signage I saw or term I heard used for the low rise complex on the left of the beach. Perhaps it's tiki village, instead?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
That's the signage I saw or term I heard used for the low rise complex on the left of the beach. Perhaps it's tiki village, instead?
That's Trader Vics restaurant/bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.