Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

500 points just for listening to Hilton Vacations sales pitch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

I just had a rather long phone call with Hilton Vacations.

I originally called the central reservations in order to try to upgrade an existing booking, but was told unfortunately as the rate I had booked was in the December sale it could not be upgraded.

This seemed a little strange to me as I can see the rate online today for the same room I booked is actually about 10% cheaper than what I paid and all I wanted to do was give them more money for a better room.

At the end of the call the lady asked me if I would be interested in an offer to get 70% off my next vacation and that I would get 500 HHonors points just for listening to the offer so I said yes, go ahead.

I was then transferred to Hilton Vacations who offered me the following:

5 days/4 nights in the Hilton West 57th Street in a suite with a kingsized bed for $499+tax ($572) with a 1 year window in which to book the stay as well as $200 destination dollars, which I understand are vouchers which can be used in local restaurants for F+B.

The only catch was that I would have to attend a 2 hour presentation of their timeshare offerings.

I have never been to New York before and it is somewhere I would actually like to visit, but there's no way I would buy a timeshare there!!

I told this to the agent and asked if they had anywhere else they could offer me as I have considered buying a timeshare but I would prefer it to be somewhere in Europe with sandy beaches, eg: France, Spain, Greece, Italy etc

He said that they were just promoting the property in New York and that it was all he was able to offer me.

He then said he wanted to send me some more information about the offer and took down all my details, Name, Address, Phone number and said he would send me something in the post.

I thanked him for his time and tried to end the call but then he informed me that in order to secure the rate I would need to hand over my credit card details there and then.

I said I wasn't willing to do this there and then and that I would need to speak to my wife first.

He said that was fine and just to call them if I did want to go ahead once I received the details in the post.

I then asked about the 500 points and he asked for my HHonors number, although honestly, it didn't sound like he was noting it or typing it into a computer.

Did I just get my time wasted, or are they really going to give me the 500 points and send me this fantastic offer by post?

A 5 star hotel in the center of New York for 4 nights $572 is a good deal right?

There's no way I'm going to be tempted into buying a timeshare so I'm thinking this might be a good way to see NYC for the first time.

Has anyone taken advantage of one of these offers, if so, how did it go?

Is it worth it?
Old May 14, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ion-promo.html

Is it worth it to sit through the 2 hour presentation? Imo, no. There are a number of threads and posts about the presentations in this forum.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ion-promo.html

Is it worth it to sit through the 2 hour presentation? Imo, no. There are a number of threads and posts about the presentations in this forum.
Uhoh, just read some of the posts and it sounds doubtful as to whether I'll get my 500 points.

If they start bombarding me with phone calls I'll just tell them I'm not going to discuss anything with them until I get my points, then if they eventually do cough up and carry on calling I'll just keep squeezing and squeezing them until they offer me the presidential suite in Hawaii for $500 for a week with $250 spending vouchers and 50,000 points, then maybe I'll bite
Old May 14, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As I get older, 2 hours becomes a larger and larger percentage of my remaining life. Using it on a timeshare presentation became a lesser value than just about any other use about 15 years ago.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
No Points

I too spoke with Hilton to verify a reservation and was asked if I would like to listen to their promotion for 500 points. I was transferred to another rep for the spiel. I politely listen for 3-4 minutes and said I wasn't interested. The rep said I would receive the 500 points and thanked me. I had forgot about the the whole thing until I read the title of the blog. I just checked my account and no points. Oh well, so it goes.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lattymong
I too spoke with Hilton to verify a reservation and was asked if I would like to listen to their promotion for 500 points. I was transferred to another rep for the spiel. I politely listen for 3-4 minutes and said I wasn't interested. The rep said I would receive the 500 points and thanked me. I had forgot about the the whole thing until I read the title of the blog. I just checked my account and no points. Oh well, so it goes.
How long ago was this? Maybe they take some time to post?

Have you chased them up on this?

Believe me I'm going to get my 500 points!!!

They DKWIA!!!

Update: Just called to ask if I should have expected the 500 points to credit immediately and was told it can take upto 3 weeks.
I asked to have the conversation noted on my account and put June 5th in my diary to chase them if they don't show up!

Last edited by PanGalactic; May 15, 2012 at 10:49 pm
Old May 15, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Alaska MVP, Caesars Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Update: Just called to ask if I should have expected the 500 points to credit immediately and was told it can take upto 3 weeks.
I asked to have the conversation noted on my account and put March 5th in my diary to chase them if they don't show up!
We were in NYC for New Year's Eve and had some time to kill. You do indeed get 500 points just for speaking with them for a few minutes, but the points JUST posted. They apparently have 6 months to get them to you, so don't expect them anytime soon
Old May 15, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Originally Posted by lexi123
We were in NYC for New Year's Eve and had some time to kill. You do indeed get 500 points just for speaking with them for a few minutes, but the points JUST posted. They apparently have 6 months to get them to you, so don't expect them anytime soon
Interesting, I too had the sales pitch back in January and completely forgot about the 500pts (I remember it was January because I phoned up to book all my Q4 vouchers, wouldn't call otherwise).

Nothing on my account yet... I'll keep an eye out but I'm sure I'll forget before they are due.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
I never got my 500 points and it was some time last summer I listened to the pitch.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

A good calendar app is a points+miles collectors best friend
Old May 15, 2012, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I'd pay 500 pts to avoid listening to a timeshare pitch.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:15 am

Just sent this in ...

Su: (Member # XXXXX) HH points promised by Hilton Vacations promotion not received.

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Wang and Mr. Berger:

I am very disappointed with the treatment I recently received by your organization. I called Hilton reservations regarding a hotel booking on March 11, 2015. After consulting with the customer service representative, I was told that I would receive 500 Hilton Honors points if I would listen to a brief Hilton Vacations promotion and that the points award was not contingent upon making a purchase. I agreed and was transferred to an agent for Hilton Vacations. The agent took my contact details and after listening to the promotion I told the agent that I would not be able to take advantage of the promotion.

I have 2 complaints:
  1. After listening to the promotion I did not receive 500 Hilton Honors points as promised.
  2. Subsequent to my call, I received a number of sales calls from Hilton Vacations, despite the fact that I asked to be removed from their marketing list.
I am concerned about other Hilton customers being mistreated in a similar manner.

I would very much appreciate your crediting my account with the promised points, and ensuring that my personal contact details are removed from the Hilton Vacations database. I would also like assurances that my personal contact information will not be sold or distributed to another organization.

Most importantly, please discontinue this dishonest practice immediately. Sadly, this type of deception is most harmful to your own customers.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this important issue.

Best regards,
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:26 am

Had the same thing - listened to the pitch but didn't get my 500 points
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by overhear
Su: (Member # XXXXX) HH points promised by Hilton Vacations promotion not received.

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Wang and Mr. Berger:

I am very disappointed with the treatment I recently received by your organization. I called Hilton reservations regarding a hotel booking on March 11, 2015. After consulting with the customer service representative, I was told that I would receive 500 Hilton Honors points if I would listen to a brief Hilton Vacations promotion and that the points award was not contingent upon making a purchase. I agreed and was transferred to an agent for Hilton Vacations. The agent took my contact details and after listening to the promotion I told the agent that I would not be able to take advantage of the promotion.

I have 2 complaints:
  1. After listening to the promotion I did not receive 500 Hilton Honors points as promised.
  2. Subsequent to my call, I received a number of sales calls from Hilton Vacations, despite the fact that I asked to be removed from their marketing list.
I am concerned about other Hilton customers being mistreated in a similar manner.

I would very much appreciate your crediting my account with the promised points, and ensuring that my personal contact details are removed from the Hilton Vacations database. I would also like assurances that my personal contact information will not be sold or distributed to another organization.

Most importantly, please discontinue this dishonest practice immediately. Sadly, this type of deception is most harmful to your own customers.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this important issue.

Best regards,
Would love to hear their reply. Please follow up here.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Same here. I really hate this marketing scam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.