Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Problems converting a reservation from $paid to points redemption - need suggestions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems converting a reservation from $paid to points redemption - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
To reiterate, for everyone BUT Diamonds, if there is NO award inventory, you CANNOT get a points reservation. It is irrelevant that you have a paid reservation. They are not the same thing. You have a reservation you have agreed to pay for.
I didn't think HHonors had a such thing as "award inventory". In accordance with the no blackout dates policy, if a room is available to book for cash, it's available on points.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
I didn't think HHonors had a such thing as "award inventory". In accordance with the no blackout dates policy, if a room is available to book for cash, it's available on points.
There absolutely is an award inventory. As per the T&C, the ONLY rooms available for regular (non-premium) awards are standard rooms. If they are all gone, no award is available. The OP's hotel is sold out, i.e., no standard rooms and prb most of the upgraded ones booked. The OP may be squatting on a standard room. That is irrelevant. That room is NOT in the award pool because it is already booked. The OP would have to CANCEL his/her room and see if it pops up in the award pool before getting an award room. It would not because the hotel is sold out and most likely has other ppl willing to pay much more $$ than what the OP originally booked it for. FYI, when you cancel a paid room, it does not automatically go back into the available pool for awards. The OP is most likely also NOT the only one looking for a room (award or OTW) at that hotel.

As Gold, he/she CANNOT just convert a paid reservation to an award one. The award is a new and separate reservation and standard rooms MUST BE available to book.
The OP can also book a premium room/suite for many many more points. But standard awards, which is sounds like he/she wants to book, are gone because there are no standard rooms left.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
There absolutely is an award inventory. As per the T&C, the ONLY rooms available for regular (non-premium) awards are standard rooms. If they are all gone, no award is available. The OP's hotel is sold out, i.e., no standard rooms and prb most of the upgraded ones booked. The OP may be squatting on a standard room. That is irrelevant. That room is NOT in the award pool because it is already booked. The OP would have to CANCEL his/her room and see if it pops up in the award pool before getting an award room. It would not because the hotel is sold out and most likely has other ppl willing to pay much more $$ than what the OP originally booked it for. FYI, when you cancel a paid room, it does not automatically go back into the available pool for awards. The OP is most likely also NOT the only one looking for a room (award or OTW) at that hotel.

As Gold, he/she CANNOT just convert a paid reservation to an award one. The award is a new and separate reservation and standard rooms MUST BE available to book.
The OP can also book a premium room/suite for many many more points. But standard awards, which is sounds like he/she wants to book, are gone because there are no standard rooms left.
Will the following strategy work for converting a paid stay to a points stay in the future ?
  • Book a paid refundable stay comprising TWO standard rooms.
  • When enough points are accumulated, cancel one of the standard rooms and grab it immediately again with points
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I'm wondering why anyone would think that they could do this in the first place. Generally, airlines don't let you "convert" a paid ticket to a points ticket (unless your status. BHotels are generally the same. What you can often do at a hotel is cancel the paid stay and re-book at the current points level, assuming that you are outside the cancellation penalty window. It's too bad that the original agent didn't clarify this with the OP.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Will the following strategy work for converting a paid stay to a points stay in the future ?
  • Book a paid refundable stay comprising TWO standard rooms.
  • When enough points are accumulated, cancel one of the standard rooms and grab it immediately again with points
I'm not sure whether there's any guarantee in HH that a cancelled room immediately goes back to being available on points. (it certainly doesn't work reliably at all hotels in all hotel programs.)

And if it isn't immediate, you'd have the issue of someone else being able to book it (whether with points or paid) if they found it available before you checked again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.