Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Barcelona {ESP}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tw0i:
The reservations agent said that there was no award availability on 12/21 or 12/22. Is there a chance that I can show up at the hotel and get them to let me use the certificates for all 6 nights?[</font>
I would not take that risk. Unless you're a Diamond you're probably not going to have any luck. The only thing you can do is continue to call and look for a cancellation.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 6:29 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Arts Hotel (a very nice place) is running lots of cheap nights during that time period, why bother fighting and wasting time, get your plans nailed down and look forward to your trip.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:36 am

There are two weeknight awards available you need to ask about them.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The Hilton is in a business neighborhood, the 'Arts' is down on the beach. Barcelona is full of fine hotels at all sorts of prices.

Beware of the pickpockets!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 7:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kathiel:
Arts Hotel (a very nice place) is running lots of cheap nights during that time period, why bother fighting and wasting time, get your plans nailed down and look forward to your trip.</font>
I looked around, but didn't find any especially cheap rates - I can stay at the Hilton for EUR 145/night from the Hilton website, so that's what I'm comparing it to.

If I could stay at the Arts for around that, I'd definitely be interested!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J0HN:
There are two weeknight awards available you need to ask about them. </font>
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, it looks like 2 nights of the weeknight awards are more expensive than the 3 night PointStretcher.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I didn't think the Hilton was in a particularly conducive neighborhood for sightseeing. If you decided to look elsewhere I've stayed a couple of times at the 4*-rated Hotel Calderon, which has a very good location for tourists (just above las Ramblas, maybe three blocks from the plaza).
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:25 pm

If you look elsewhere, consider Fira Palace. I stayed there in August for about $100 U.S., including breakfast. I got the rate on Expedia. It's a 4 or 5 star located just above the Plaza Espana--a very fine property.

JP
Old Dec 6, 2002, 2:26 am

Location: Orange County, CA ; AA Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold
tw0i,

You did better than I. Tried to get a reward for 12/24-12/26 - none available! I am only a Gold, but will keep trying.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:00 pm

Hilton Barcelona Question

Hi Fellow FTers,

I am new to FT and need some advice. Although I lurk quite a bit, this is one of my first posts. I am in the process of planning a trip to Spain, more specifically Barcelona. The Hilton looks great and I am a Gold member. I have read many threads praising this property; however my question is as follows: I am planning to go with 2 others for a total of 3; how does the bedding situation work? I have not been to Spain and need some advice. Would the Hilton be able to accomodate this? Are there any other hotels in Barcelona that might? Please let me know your thoughts. I am planning to go in March. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:27 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I tried three adults in one room at the Paris Hilton and was told no. I ended up having to get another room. Your best bet would be to call the hotel and ask. FWIW, my wife and I stayed at the Barcelona Hilton July 2001. Nice hotel in the business district, but close to a subway. I recommend a day trip to Montserrat while you are there. Enjoy!

Outoftown
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:25 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
This hotel is not in the centre of the city at all, OK for business but not to really enjoy those late nights in Barcelona.

I spent a fortnight here last Feb, when it was a moderate lacklustre decor tired kind of place. Might have changed, so hope for some more reviews online. Frankly, it could have been anywhere in the world, nothing particulalry special about this property - no local flavour at all. In case you are wondering, I stayed here because i was working in the building next door.

Check the travel guides (such as Time Out City Guide) for other funkier recommendations.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:37 am

Hotelie.

Welcome to FT...

I too am traveling to Barcelona and have asked many question re the Hilton...It does appear to be on the outskirts of the city.....I'm not sure of the bedding situation but maybe you could add a cot....Though Europe hotel rooms are pretty small....I have had 3 in a room before with Hilton, but not at this location.

I have added a link of a hotel that was recommended to me and the one we have choosen to stay at.

www.hotellaietanapalace.com
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:28 pm

We stayed in Hilton Barcelona last summer and enjoyed the stay very much. As Gold, we were upgraded to a junior suite which could accommodate three adults (two single beds in the bedroom and one sofa bed in the living room). The breakfast buffet was super. As for the location, it is not in the center of night life. But then it was SAFE and that was very important to us. It is close to a subway station and the city center is also a cheap taxi's ride away. We were warned about safety in Barcelona and we knew at least four to five people got robbed while there attending the same conference. Once you take necessary precautions, Barcelona is fantastic.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:59 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I really like Barcelona and there is an interesting aspect to the nightlife.

I live in the Midwest, where there is a 7 hour time difference between home and Barcelona. I thought it must be an evil joke that the subways and buses stop running at 11 pm but it turns out that everything works just fine.

The people in Barcelona seem to live on a different schedule. If you go to a restaurant at 11 pm it will probably be deserted, but if you go back at midnight then you'll see business. I found that when I took the subway to a neighborhood before 11 pm (remember it feels like 4 pm to my body), then spent the night doing the "Tapas crawl" (together with a zillion other people) then I could take the subway back to the hotel at 5 am (to my body it felt like 10 pm), sleep for 6 or 7 hours, then go sightseeing right after noon.

I think it's the only place in Europe that I don't have to deal with jet lag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.