Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2003, 2:57 pm

Amsterdam Hilton

Has anyone stayed at this hotel and had 3 people staying in same room? Also, has anyone been to Amsterdam in Feb? If so, what was the wheather like? What are the must sees for a 3 day trip? Thanks a lot.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Just so you know, the A'dam Hilton is quite far away from the center of town. It's about a ten minute taxi ride if my memory serves me correctly. I would never stay there.

The weather will likely be cold and rainy. As for "must see" attractions, don't miss the Anne Frank house. If art is your cup of tea, be sure to go to the Rembrandt house.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 4:38 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Just stayed there over New Years...I am Diamond and was upgraded to concierge level....I have to warn you though...the room was smaaallll...I had a friend of mine with me and we were pretty tight in there. Nice hotel but as the poster above said....a little out of the way.....it's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest tram stop....there are 2 to choose from..I forget the numbers. If you're going to be out late...the tram stops running at an early hour...so you'll need to cab it back.
You should do a search on attractions in AMS.....it's very heavily discussed.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 6:02 pm

Yes, it probably will be rainy and anywhere from the low 30's to the mid 40's here in Feb. The Hilton is on Apollolaan (Apollo Lane) and is 5 min walk west of the nearest tram stop(5 and 24). Avoid the taxis if at all possible. Upon arrival at Schiphol Airport you would catch a train to Station Zuid WTC(World Trade Center)...about $5.00. From there you are 10 min walk or short taxi ride to Hilton. The Hilton is in an upscale neighborhood away from the riff raff of the Centrum. BE AWARE OF PICKPOCKETS. The Hilton is a 15 min walk to Museumplein(Museum Plane)where you will find the Rijksmuseum(currently undergoing some renovations), the VanGogh Museum, and the Stedelijk Museum. Make sure to take a canal tour by boat, but avoid the dinner cruises. A good place to catch one of these tours is across from the Rijksmuseum. The Heineken Brewery has tours. I personally like the Ships Museum(Scheepvaartmuseum). Do walk along the canals and through the flower market. All the 20-somethings party each evening at Leidseplein. It is a 20-25 min walk from Hilton. There are some good restaurants on Beethovenstraat, a 5-10 min walk. There are 1/2 day tours to see the windmills in Zaanse Schans. The 3 things you do not go to Amsterdam for are the weather, shopping or food. At the flower market pick up a bouquet of flowers and a cheap vase. Put them in your room, wherever you stay. It will help make your visit even more memorable. Blokker and Xenos have the cheap vases. Also there is a wonderful cookie here called a stroopwaffel. They make excellent souvenirs. You can get them in any grocery such as Albert Heijn.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:36 pm

The Amsterdam Hilton is one of my favorite hotels. Nice, efficient staff, and nice breakfast in the lounge on the top floor. As the above poster stated, it's near the museums and away from the "riff-raff." The neighborhood is quite fashionable and beautiful for walking. The Vondelpark is also beautiful for walks. Remember that Amsterdam is a small city and very easy to get around.

No comments on the weather for this time of year.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 8:52 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sea-md:
The Amsterdam Hilton is one of my favorite hotels. Nice, efficient staff, and nice breakfast in the lounge on the top floor.</font>
Agree. Always treated well as gold (as most non-US Hiltons do)

I don't think it is too far out at all from the city center.

Was just in AMS at the end of Jan. Rainy, cool (40-46 F), will be about the same when you are there.

There are some good restaurant suggestions in the Flyertalk Dining Forum for AMS.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 10:31 pm

The only good part about staying at that hotel is its proximity to the fantastic restaurant Kersentuin at the Bildenberg Garden Hotel across the road from the Hotel. One of the best restaurants in Amsterdam for Continental food.

If you are not looking for stay credit and need to be in that area, I would even recommend picking the Bildenberg garden hotel over the Hilton. Cheaper, better and a free course at dinner at the Kersentuin for staying there!
Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:34 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

Just checked in to the Hilton here in Amsterdam. Even though I arrived at 8 in the morning I was upgraded to executive room overlooking the canal without no problems.

The advice above is very timely. My flight over on NW was very uneventful and the service was terrific.

Cheers,

------------------
doglover
Old Feb 2, 2003, 10:00 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
The Hilton Amsterdam is nicer than many hotels in the city because it is so quiet. That is the advantage of being two blocks off the tram lines. I regularly stay there. The rooms are small compared to many Hiltons, unless you have status and get upgraded to a junior suite, great canal side view of the city, or a larger corner suite on the south side looking over the business area.

If you are going to Amsterdam primarily to see the lovely side of the city, and you don't mind the cost of the Hilton, then it is a good choice. If you are going to Amsterdam to enjoy the night-life and and the loving side of the city, plan to be out and about all hours, and just want a good room at a quality hotel, then go to Priceline and bid around $65-75, and you can get a room at the Marriott (right next to the Leidseplein action, the main party square)or a room at the Renaissance, close to train station and close to Red Light areas of the city.

The trams near the Hilton run every 8 to 15 minutes all day until midnight.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
The Bildenberg Garden has come up on Priceline.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I stayed at the Amsterdam Hilton a few years ago. I actually liked the location; quiet & not really that far from things. What I didn't like was rotary phone, no voice mail & no email access. Also, fee for health club & you had to make an "appointment" w/ a trainer to use it. For those who have stayed there recently, has any of the above changed? I've been staying at the Marriott Leidesplain ever since, which I like because of location, real king size beds, bathrooms, dual phone-lines, work area, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 3:06 pm

Must sees - I'm an art lover (love the Dutch Masters of course!) and both Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh Museum are incredible...especially after a visit to a hash bar.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 10:47 am

Email address: Amsterdam H?

Do you know their email address? Is there a site where these are listed?
Old Mar 26, 2003, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Can anyone help me save on the Amsterdam Hilton?

Hi,

I plan tto stay at the Hilton Amsterdam July 1-4. Can nyone tell me how to pay less. It's so ****ed expensive.

Jacob
Old Mar 26, 2003, 6:01 pm

Other than not staying exclusively on weekdays (where rooms are usually more expensive), I'm not sure how you can.

Perhaps a consolidator that deals in European hotel rooms will work.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.