Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Mount Juliet Conrad {IRL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

We are planning a short trip in Ireland in late August and were looking at staying for a couple of nights at the Conrad Mount Juliet hotel. There have been a couple of really good reviews posted here which suggest it would be perfect for a romantic get-away.

However, neither of us smoke and the on-line booking tool only seems to list smoking rooms. Are we just out of luck with our dates are there no non-smoking rooms??

-- Dambus
Old Mar 12, 2003, 8:07 am

My husband and I stayed there a few years ago (before it was part of Hilton) - lovely place with lots to do (a little hard to find - but that was part of the fun).

We has no issues getting a non-smokeing room - you may want to call the hotel directly.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 1:15 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
Mount Juliet Conrad

I tried to check availability for an award stay at the Conrad Mt. Joliet and didn't find squat for several dates, spread throughout the year.
Could this be because the blackout dates have not yet been posted or is it really this hard to get an award booking at that hotel ?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
I had no problem spending 100k point for the first 3 nights of my honeymoon there. This is by far the best Hilton property I've ever stayed in. Keep trying - it's definately worth the visit. The breakfasts there are awesome too!

A word of warning - if you're driving, the road system of the Irish is built assuming a lot about the luck of the Irish! You definately want to stick with a smaller car there as some of the roads there are insanely narrow.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 2:30 pm

I too had no problem getting an award reservation for 3 nights this past August. You should definitely keep trying, call HHonors and have them find dates for you.

If you are looking for a stay in September 2004 - you won't find ANY reservations available due to the American Express golf championship that's being played there in late September. I had wanted to stay on-site for the tourney but was told that the sponsor has booked the entire estate for the entire month prior to the event.

I second the accolades to the Mount Juliet. It is a rare gem in the Hilton/Conrad family!! Let me know if you have questions about the property (I posted a trip report back in August). I can't say enough great things about it.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:14 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
As a matter of fact, I do have a question. I was planning on playing golf at their course, but I'm not quite sure what their requirements are. In the USA, you just walk up, pay your green-fee and off you go.
In a lot of European places, a club membership or a green-card (certificate that you are good enough to play) is required. Only having played in the USA so far, I am neither a member of a golf club nor do I have a green card or a handicap. Will they let me play ?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I plan on being there next May on a 2 night award stay with Mrs. MileKing. For those who have stayed on awards, where was your room? I understand there are two or three buildings there, including Hunters Yard and the main house. I'm assuming the award is in Hunter's Yard which is supposedly less luxurious. I am Diamond...thoughts on upgrades? Any particular rooms to go for or avoid? Is breakfast included in the award stay or is it extra? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 7:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinMike:

A word of warning - if you're driving, the road system of the Irish is built assuming a lot about the luck of the Irish! You definately want to stick with a smaller car there as some of the roads there are insanely narrow.
</font>
There is nothing wrong with the width of the roads. Your perspective has been scewed by the Ford Excursions, Suburbans, full-size mini-vans and all the the other oversized vehicles that float around on the roads in the US
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:22 pm
Suspended

I stayed there for three nights in October 2002 . Obviously award availability depends on season,
however when I attempted to make an award reservations at first I was told that it was unavailable but I keep trying as the dates approached and it eventually opened up.
Besides the Amex golf tournament , the river which run through the property is used for some world class (wild) salmon fishing tournaments, so you might want to inquire as to those dates.

The property consists of 36 rooms in the main Mount Juliet house, the Hunters Yard has 16 “club rooms”, The Rose cottages which are two bedroom cottages and the Paddocks which are two and three bedroom houses. The two main restaurants are the upscale Lady Helen in the main house ( which requires you notify them in advance if you plan to have dinner) and features a fixe prix menu and the more relaxed Kendals which has an a la carte menu.

I stayed there as a Gold member and got upgraded to a wonderful corner room in the main house.
I got the impression at the time they had not seen many Hilton members since the receptionist
immediately took the charges off my folio which I told her breakfast was supposed to be free.

Huegli : A very nice color brochure fort the property which I still have on my desk shows an approximate 10 euro difference in the greens costs for residents and non-residents ( I assume of the property) and nothing is mentioned about club membership etc.
On thing of note though I did not see one single golf cart there, all the players seemed to by toting their own clubs.

Will agree about roads in Ireland and I would recommended not arriving after dark.
But little road signs all the roads within 20km of the property will point in the right direction.

And yes the best Hilton property in their entire chain IMHO.

Mike
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:25 am

Always happy to answer questions about the Mount Juliet!

As for the golf, no club membership or handicap is required to play. Either make tee times in advance by emailing the hotel or try to make a time once you get there. Mr. Wahoo and I certainly don't have handicaps or club memberships, but we enjoyed the course as it is a beautiful lay-out but quite long. You can get the emails of the hotel by checking out www.mountjuliet.ie.

As for the rooms, we stayed in the Hunter's Yard club rooms due to its proximity to the gym/spa & golf club. When go again I would definitely ask for a room in the main house as it appears that each room is different. It feels like you're staying in a friends large country house rather than a hotel. You can email Trish Condon, the reservations manager at the hotel and ask for a room in the main house, not sure how they are with upgrades, but it doesn't hurt to ask & Ms. Condon was very responsive to my emails.

The hunters yard rooms were fine (although slightly on the small side). We liked its location as it was right near the pub & Kendals restaurant, although the house is only a 5 minute walk away. We were there in August and breakfast was included in our award rate - not sure if it depends on what month you go. I was ready to break out the GOLD VIP card, but it wasn't necessary. Definitely eat at Kendals for dinner - great food for a good price, I was really impressed by their cuisine (but I had low expectations as Ireland isn't really known for its food). We didn't hit Lady Helen's for dinner but I'm sure it would be amazing as breakfast there was great. You can have breakfast at either Lady Helen's or Kendals.

One thing I noticed is that the estate NEVER seemed to be busy or crowded. We were there in early August which I assumed was peak season, but it felt as if we had the estate to ourselves most of the time.

Have great trips!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I plan on being there next May on a 2 night award stay with Mrs. MileKing. For those who have stayed on awards, where was your room? I understand there are two or three buildings there, including Hunters Yard and the main house. I'm assuming the award is in Hunter's Yard which is supposedly less luxurious. I am Diamond...thoughts on upgrades? Any particular rooms to go for or avoid? Is breakfast included in the award stay or is it extra? Thanks in advance for the advice. </font>
We got upgraded one of the corner rooms on the top floor overlooking the river. I can't remember the room number or name off hand, but it was the top floor of the main house on the opposite end where breakfast was served. The windows were really cool - they were kind of low, but they had sills about 2 feeet deep.

It was an excellent room. One minor issue is that the bed is actually two single size beds squished together. We often foud ourselves wking up "in the crack" in the middle of the night.

Yes, breakfast was included. These were hands down the best breakfasts of the entire trip. As for dinner, we only had room service the day we got there. It was good, but I can't speak for the resteraunts themselves. There is an excellent place to eat in Thomastown that charged us 23 Euro each for a 3 course meal. I'll try to dig up the name if you're interested.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">There is nothing wrong with the width of the roads. Your perspective has been scewed by the Ford Excursions, Suburbans, full-size mini-vans and all the the other oversized vehicles that float around on the roads in the US </font>
Well, the main roads are fine, but going to Cashel one afternoon, we ventured onto some back roads with our Corolla rental car. Passing other cars our size was not very easy, and the occasional large truck/tractor was a real experience. We'd have to get over so far, I ended up putting some "Irish pinstriping" on the side of the car with the roadside vegitation. That was the same day we got lost and got driving directions from a blind man - and they were correct!

And I agree - there are too many huge cars here - especially in AZ where people like to drive SUV's like they're Porches.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS & US GLD, Hyatt & Hilton DIA, Marriott PLT, *Wood & Priority GLD, Hertz Prez, Natl EmExec
This is a great thread. Thanks for the info. I am planning a trip next February (since Aerlingus is having insane flight rates, $99 each way from Chi or NE with a five night restriction OR $149 each way direct from LAX with no limit, er, up to 6 months, on your stay) I can get the $78 RT on HP/AWest to LAX, fly non-stop to Dublin and sleep while I fly.

I have a couple of questions for those who have been to Mount Juliet and greater Ireland:
Anyone pull this off with kids? How is Mount Juliet room size for the corner rooms or other possible upgrades. I would hate to double the GLON to 300k if an upgrade might suffice.
What day trips and excursions were the best?
Rental car agencies same as USA?
Anyone also stay at the Conrad or Hilton in Dublin? (I think I will stay 8 nights with GLON taking the six in the middle and thought about staying in the city the day of arrival as well as the day of departure.) OR anyone hit a B&B they like in Ireland. On the coast perhaps?

THANKS!!!

------------------
AA Gold, AWEST Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriot Silver, Hertz Prez Club
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:59 am

If you get upgraded to a bigger room, you'll be fine. The name of our room was the 'Thomas Kendall' room. It would have been plenty big enough to add a couple of rollaways if needed. They also have apartment-like room on another part of the property as well. That might suit your needs a little better.

As far as day trips go, there are several that would be worth doing:

- Waterford and the surrounding coastal area
- The rock of Cashel
- Blarney Castle (about a 3 hour drive)

If you can make it, the ring of Kerry on the west side of the island is definately worth seeing. You'd have to stay overnight there though - too long of a drive to do in a day trip from MJ or Dublin.

We got the Fommer's book "Ireleand's best driving tours". That is a great source of info.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:34 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I would echo much of what has been said here about Mount Juliet ...

I would suggest eating at Kendals as it has a great atmosphere, staff and is very reasonably priced. As it and the spa are v. close together, staying at Hunters Yard is probably a good idea (although the walk to the main house is not too far).

Would be a great location for a weekend break - my wife and I stayed with her brother and his girlfriend - they went to the spa while we golfed ... the perfect day for all concerned

Very happy with all at Hunters Yard and Kendals - was not totally impressed either with our room in the house or with the staff / service there (I am Diamond) - maybe I'm just becoming too hard to please or being too blase about old Irish country houses ...

Look into some great offers on the hotel website mentioned previously :-

"Winter Getaway

Enjoy two nights bed & breakfast with dinner on one evening of choice. This package also includes a round of golf or one treatment at the Spa.
€ 299 per person sharing or € 430 single occupancy in Mount Juliet House, with dinner available in the Lady Helen Dining room

€235 per person sharing or €375single occupancy in a Club bedroom in the Hunters Yard, with dinner available in Kendals restaurant.

€ 249 per person in a Rose Garden Lodge based on 4 people sharing (i.e. å996 per Lodge) with dinner available in Kendals restaurant.

The Winter Getaway package is available midweek only from November until the 31st March 2004 (Excluding Christmas & the New Year).

If you would like to make a booking, please contact Aine on +353 56 7773010 or e-mail [email protected] "

Have fun; I'm sure you will !!

By the way, some nice excursions from there include:-
Kilkenny City - Very Beautiful
Wicklow - for mountains / scenery
Cork - for Blarney and Kinsale etc.
Midelton - for the Rare Irish Whiskey

John P.

Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:48 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Also I noted no carts when we played there earlier this year - don't think they are allowed, as there are no cart tracks ...

The food & pub at Hunters Yard are great and draw a good crowd at the weekend ...

The main house also has a great night-porter who kept us well-fed with drink very late into the night ....

The house also has some great B&Bs close-by for anyone who would want friends to stay locally, but more economically - they are best when recommended by the hotel.

In Dublin, the Conrad is much better than the Hilton, which is a former Stakis, and has poor decor at best. The Conrad is normally suitably more expensive, however ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.