Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Victoria {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Victoria {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
I completed my stay in early May 2013 at the DT Victoria using points (I also posted the same basic review on TripAdvisor). The hotel's website states that their fitness facility is under construction. It is in fact the whole hotel but depending where your room is located, it isn’t an issue. The lobby/common areas are already refurbished and I was out of the hotel all day, though a letter provided upon check-in stated work started after 9 am. You can't beat the location right across from the Victoria Station taxi rank (exit near Platform 1).

I HH Gold and booked a "Family Guest Room" (accommodates 3 adults, rare for London). No upgrade (not expected as a Gold of course), the usual included wifi (reliable and fast), and I was offered free breakfast from the daily buffet for all 3 guests which was surprisingly good (I am admittedly a foodie). A full buffet of European style (sliced meats, boiled eggs, fruit) as well as full English (hot eggs, bacon, sausages) and lighter fare too, such as yogurt, cereal, porridge, granola, etc.

All of the “Family Guest Rooms” had not yet been renovated. I was on the 1st floor (which is really 2 floors above ground level). It was very quiet, no noise from Victoria, even when sleeping with the window open. Our AC never worked. I reported it to the front desk after our first night but nothing was done about it. It ran all night making noises (not too loud where it was bothersome, but loud enough). Luckily the warm spell in London only lasted a day so it wasn't a huge issue but enough where I should not have to sweat in my room due to no one bothering to send a maintenance worker to check it out.

The "family room" was two beds pushed together to make a poor man's King, then a rollaway cot on the side. The unrenovated room was perfectly fine. It had a mini fridge, flat screen TV, the hairdryer in the bathroom was from 1972 but a modern one was located in a desk drawer. My biggest complaint is that stepping into the shower/bath combo required a giant step up. It was odd and I would imagine impossible for the elderly or those who are less mobile.

All in all, a good stay and I hope this property gets better as it gets fully renovated and the staff gets better trained since it only somewhat recently changed from a Hisperia to a DT. If you are staying on Hilton points, this place is a London BARGAIN. I am assuming after renovations are complete that the property category will go up.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
DoubleTree London Victoria Pictorial Trip Report / Review: (part 1 of 2)

Exec Room Queen Bed:

DT Vic Bed by BA_pics, on Flickr

I stayed here recently as it was close to a location I was meeting some friends for the evening. I had booked quite late (only about a week from the time of the stay) and used cash and points. The rate was 20k points and £ 56 which I found very reasonable personally and excellent value.

Floor Plan 9th Floor:

DT Vic floor plan 9th floor by BA_pics, on Flickr

I would highly recommend it for a one night stay or a weekend if you have status or when points or money are tight.

View back towards the entrance:

DT Vic view to entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

View into the room from entrance:

DT Vic view to room from entrance by BA_pics, on Flickr

I had booked the family room with three beds (all singles) as this was the lowest point award that could be booked on the site and then put in the comments section that I would be there on my own and any type of bed would do and that any upgrade would be greatly appreciated. When I checked in (at around 20:00) I was greeted by excellent front desk staff and soon on my way. I had been upgraded to an exec floor room on the 9th floor (and was informed of this during check in). I think they must try to upgrade all Diamonds to exec floor rooms as the welcome letter stated this that I received. Of course the usual DT cookie was offered along with a drinks voucher and the info that I could have breakfast for free in the restaurant in the morning. Internet code was already stapled to the room card booklet they gave me.

There are 3 elevators just off to the left when you walk in the hotel and the front desk is straight ahead when you enter. The bar and restaurant are to the right as you enter the hotel and the bar can be accessed from separate glass doors further down the front of the building if so desired. The lower floor of the hotel is mostly glass and looks out to the street and is indeed opposite Victoria rail station.

The elevators are a bit small but there was never any queue or wait really so this was not a problem, however, if you were more than 2 people with any luggage, you would have to take more than one elevator to get everyone up to the room!

I believe the hotel renovations are now complete, as I didn’t hear or see anything still ongoing. The look is quite modern and I found it very nice.

I do have to say that I found the area between Victoria station and the hotel to be a bit dark and less welcoming late at night and I am not sure I would enjoy walking around the immediate area alone at night as a single person. Its not something that was really bad, more of an impression. Other London Hiltons are better for such individual travellers or those very concerned about safety. As a pair I think there would be no problems here.

Anyway, the hotel was lovely once you were inside and the rooms were also well done. The room I had was quite small and I would not want to spend more than a weekend in such a room with another person as it was a bit tight in my opinion. Again, I received this room as an upgrade and it was lovely, especially if you were out most of the time visiting the sights or would be alone, but for two and for extended periods I think it was a bit small and there are other hotels that have bigger rooms for more points or money.

The room has a visual welcome near the door and this is the way staff know if you have the do not disturb button pressed or wish to have the room made up. ^ I like these visual messages rather than the older hanging cards, in case they fall down or are taken off as a prank (or simply in case I forget to put it out!)

Modern notification system on room number plates:

DT Vic Room plates by BA_pics, on Flickr

The room was decorated in darker wood tones which felt quite welcoming and warm. The electronics and lights are controlled by keycard slot in the entrance area.

The room I had was likely a queen bed which was very comfortable and there is indeed no exterior noise so the windows seal excellent and keep the noise away even though the rail station is right next door! ^ I did hear the odd person when they were talking and walking down the corridor but that was quite rare.

9th floor hallway:

DT Vic hallway by BA_pics, on Flickr

The HVAC system was easy to use and had a large display and worked well, it made some noise but not so much that I found it bothersome. The room I was in had an opening patio door so you could get fresh air if desired/needed.

Room HVAC controls:

DT Vic Thermostat by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bathroom had excellent water pressure and temperatures and there was the option to use the rain shower head or the standard shower wand. The room was spotless and in excellent condition.

Bathroom:

DT Vic Bathroom by BA_pics, on Flickr

Sink Area:

DT VIc Bathroom sink Mirror by BA_pics, on Flickr

Shower:

DT Vic Shower by BA_pics, on Flickr

Large space in shower and shower controls:

DT Vic Shower 2 by BA_pics, on Flickr

I received two bottles of water, a small box of chocolates and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries as the diamond welcome gift which was very nice and very much appreciated.

Diamond welcome:

DT Vic Diamond Welcome gift by BA_pics, on Flickr

The mini bar was stocked but I did not look to see if it was free or would be charged if I used anything.

Minibar:

DT Vic minibar contents by BA_pics, on Flickr

Coffee/Tea and Minibar area:

DT Vic minibar, coffee area by BA_pics, on Flickr

There was an ironing board and iron in the room along with two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers (black! Never seen black ones before!) The small chest of drawers in the wardrobe also contained the built in room safe.

Wardrobe:

DT Vic Wardrobe by BA_pics, on Flickr

Personal safe:

DT Vic Safe by BA_pics, on Flickr

All of the drawers in the room were soft close drawers and even the loo had a soft close lid, nice touches and guaranteed to keep the noise down.

TV and Desk work area:

DT Vic desk and TV by BA_pics, on Flickr

cont'd...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:00 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

DoubleTree London Victoria review part -2-

There was a night light that you could turn on via bedside switch that lit the way to the bathroom without using any brighter lights.

There were plenty of power points in the room and even two on each night table ^^ Excellent concept to be able to power devices by the bed, glad someone has thought about these things ^

The internet worked fine for my needs during the next day over wifi.

Breakfast was good and the food fresh and always stocked up, however, I did have three smaller issues with the restaurant during my visit. 1) they would only provide the standard tea or coffee and not a cappuccino or latte (even when I asked if I could use the drinks voucher, which they said was only for beer or wine) 2) Even though I showed up at 09:30, so just before closing and when the place was nearly empty…the table I was given was right beside the one entrance to the buffet area, so everyone had to walk around me…the tables are quite close together in the restaurant and they could do with less tables to make it look friendlier. 3) they closed the buffet at exactly 10:00, which is fair but many other London hotels allow a bit of leeway on this for those showing up late. They at least did come around and mention that the buffet would close in 10 minutes to give people time to get items before they started cleaning up but again, I felt I was being rushed a bit.

I did use the drinks voucher for a coke mid morning in the bar which was a nice seating area and relaxed in tone.

Bar Area with view to Lobby:

DT Vic Bar view to Lobby by BA_pics, on Flickr

Drink Voucher:

Drink Voucher by BA_pics, on Flickr

View towards Victoria station out balcony window:

DT Vic view out window to Victoria station by BA_pics, on Flickr

View towards right from window:

DT Vic view right out window by BA_pics, on Flickr

All in all, a lovely hotel, mostly great service and excellent value for money/points for a short stay. Highly recommended if the area suits your needs.

I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking and hope this helps others decide if this fairly new DT is worth considering for their needs.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Hi BotB,
Another fantastic report with exceptional photos.
I had previously ruled out this place, having thought it might be a bit mediocre, even though the location suits well. However, your photos have persuaded me otherwise!
Many thanks ^
DCf
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
i take my hat off to botb..... always gives informative and relevent reviews.......legend!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:00 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the kind words, glad the pics and thoughts are of use and interest!

Definitely worth trying this place out.

I thought I should add the letter that was handed to me at check in as it clearly states that Diamonds get upgrades to Exec rooms which I also benefitted from...previous posters mentioning they didn't get upgraded may have just been unlucky that the place was full those evenings?

In any case, since stayed at another London DT property and was also upgraded there (review to follow on that thread) but the DT Victoria was nicer in my opinion.

DT Lon Victoria Letter1 by BA_pics, on Flickr
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
After reading all the reviews it makes me wonder if they only upgraded the 9th floor. The last one was done in Dec and they OP mentioned staying on the 9th floor. I have not seen any decent reviews that did not mention being on the 9th floor.

Can anyone give insight on the area around the hotel? I am thinking about staying here in March with my wife and daughter. I do not want to feel uncomfortable walking around at night.

TT
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, HH Diamond, A-Club Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Techtravler
After reading all the reviews it makes me wonder if they only upgraded the 9th floor. The last one was done in Dec and they OP mentioned staying on the 9th floor. I have not seen any decent reviews that did not mention being on the 9th floor.

Can anyone give insight on the area around the hotel? I am thinking about staying here in March with my wife and daughter. I do not want to feel uncomfortable walking around at night.

TT
It's alongside Victoria Station, and as such you can often see the colourful characters that a major train station attracts!

However it's also mere moments away from some of the premium London residential postcodes ...

I am personally comfortable walking around here at night, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious at all times in a big city!

Chris

Chris
Old May 25, 2014, 10:40 am
mmo

Does anyone know if HH Gold can get upgrades to 9th floor as well? Thanks!
Old May 25, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
I had a week in London planned to coincide with the end of my status as a Diamond member this past March.

My first Hilton-brand choice was the Trafalgar in the square of the same name. Unfortunately my depleted points balance just wouldn't cover it. Luckily, London seems to have more Hiltons than any other city in the world so I would not be at a loss for choices. And since my last stay (at the Trafalgar about 5 years ago) they'd added even more. Note to Hilton: why not add a few more properties in Paris; heck, add one more and you could DOUBLE your presence in the central city. But I digress.

I wanted a good central location where my points would go further. Hilton had recently rebranded some other chain's offerings as Double Trees and there was now a DT Victoria, DT West End, DT Tower and DT Paddington. Of that lot, the Victoria made the most sense to me. Being next to Victoria station meant easy tube and bus connections and the Gatwick Express. But wait, my airline, USAirways, no longer flies into Gatwick as they had for decades. They now go to that big, bloated, overcrowded monstrosity called Heathrow. Maybe the DT Paddington would make more sense since it was at the end of the Heathrow Express line. Unfortunately, the Paddington area is not my favorite part of London. It was where I stayed on my first visits many years ago when cheap tourist hotels were all I could afford.

So, I chose the DT Victoria and booked four nights with points (AXON) and two nights with pounds.

To cut to the chase and give you the verdict first, the place is okay (IMHO of course). It's a fairly new building (not an old historic pile of bricks and plaster). Renovations were done after Hilton took over the property about two years ago and it all looks relatively up to date.

Check in was fast, but I wasn't acknowledged as a Diamond and offered an upgrade. I even asked about an upgrade but got nowhere further than 'we'll look into it'. Since I was early, the room was not ready (no surprise) and I had them take my suitcase and hold it incommunicado (or in the baggage room as the case may be).

I got my DoubleTree cookie and a free drink voucher right away though. Now without a room and at 09:00 in the morning what was I going to do with a cookie? "Can I get a coffee in the restaurant?" I asked. "Oh yes, you can use your free drink voucher" was the answer. "I think I'll wait and get a beer later" I said. So, I retreated across the street to a StarBucks in Victoria station and got a coffee to go with my second strange breakfast of the day (the Banana Nut Muffin Top on USAirways was #1).

The room — when I returned later — was clean and looked recently renovated. There was a plate with three multi-colored macarons and a small box with a chocolate truffle on the table. "From Us for You" said the accompanying card dripping with British understatement. My room was on the third floor in the back. No view other than the scaffolding that was still attached to the building. No chance for the ninth floor.

It was a king room with a king bed that seemed to take up 85% of the space available. The room size was fine; about average for Europe I'd say. I've certainly had smaller rooms on the other side of the pond. There was a small desk, and a taller piece of furniture with a safe and minibar. There were two bottles of water on top. The TV was flat screen and about 35 inches (sorry, I didn't pack a tape measure). I also don't usually watch the "Telly" when I travel. The safe was plenty big and took a four number combination, but because of how deep set it was it was almost impossible to see the numbers and read the instructions. Pack a flashlight. A small side chair was comfortable enough, but nothing special.

The bathroom turned out to be my Water-loo (oh, real bad pun). All was fine at first but after one flush the water in the toilet started flowing again after about a minute. I flushed and flushed hoping I could 'get it right' and stop the flow as I have in other european hotels before. But no luck. So, when I went down to use my free drink voucher in the bar I made a complaint at the front desk and they said they'd take care of it.

Well, all the valves and stuff for the water supply are behind a panel in the corridor and when I returned to the room the water had stopped. A good night sleep followed. The bed was very comfortable. But the next morning after flushing the toilet again, the water started up less than a minute later. I actually took a video of the water leaking with my phone just in case no one believed me!!! (And yes, I know how strange that sounds, but this was obviously an intermittent problem and I wanted to be able to prove that I wasn't making it up). Now, I would have used the local shut off valve at the toilet and kept my mouth shut as well if there was a local shut off valve at the toilet. But since there wasn't, I made a second complaint when I went down to breakfast.

After a day of sightseeing I returned to find the water still running. When I left for supper I made a third complaint. When I returned after 10PM, the problem had yet to be fixed. At that point I complained again rather strongly. The clerk checked in the back office and then offered me another room. It was a suite on the second floor. In fact it was the only room on the second (mezzanine) floor which is full of meeting rooms. And the toilet worked fine (first thing I checked when I moved in).

So, in the end, I suppose, they solved the problem and treated me right.

I got the WiFi password (free for Diamonds) along with my key card and had no trouble getting it to work. I was on holiday and didn't care if it was fast or slow; all I know is that it worked fine for my limited uses.

The bar/restaurant downstairs is called 2 Bridge Place after the hotel's address. No extra points for imagination. It's all modern decor with a lot of flat wood surfaces and metal accents and holes. Round holes here and there seem to be a theme. The place was neat and clean and the staff at breakfast was pleasant and efficient. The breakfast on offer for Diamonds was the "Full Monty" English Breakfast buffet. English sausages, scrambled eggs potato cakes, fried mushrooms, toast, juice and coffee for me, please. Bacon, fried tomatoes and vegetarian sausages (in separate chaffing dishes), and cereals, fruit, cold cuts cheese, rolls and pastries were provided for those with other tastes.

I checked out the bar in the evening and it was fairly packed. Lot of business types staying there I suppose. The bar is unlikely to ever be mistaken for a traditional London pub however, especially since there were no 'real ales' on tap. That's not a complaint; just an observation. With so many interesting pubs in London I'd rather go pub hopping anyway.

Victoria Station is directly across the street from the hotel and there's a small passageway from the station out to Bridge Place. If you arrive by tube or train, just keep walking through the station and to your right past McDonalds and Starbucks and you'll find it next to tracks 1 & 2. The station taxi rank is right across the street from the hotel as well and there always seemed to be plenty of cabs available.

Three tube lines (District, Circle and Victoria) are accessible from Victoria station making it (on paper) a very convenient base for getting around. However, the station was a zoo when I was there; especially in the morning when it seemed like entry to the Underground station was always backed up right back into the station. "Signaling problems at South Kensington" was mentioned on the PA system more than once.

A number of bus lines stop at Victoria as well and there is a separate coach station across the street where buses that serve outer London have a terminus. And then of course there are the trains. So, it's a major transport hub and a good location. I found myself using the buses more than ever before in London. The No. 38 would get me to Hyde Park Corner, up Piccadilly, through Piccadilly Circus, up Shaftesbury Avenue and on to Tottenham Court Road. The No. 24 bus went up Victoria, past Westminster Abbey, up Whitehall and to Trafalgar Square. But the buses were far slower than the Underground (if it was working).

There's a OysterCard terminal right next to the tourist information booth on the station level where I was always able to top up my card without the lines that you find down the stairs inside the tube station.

There is no local roast beef restaurant called Victoria Station anywhere nearby however There is a Burger King, McDonalds, Starbucks, and even a Krispy Kreme donut stand in the station concourse. And a number of local food stands too (Cornish pasties, French pastries, English sandwiches). Even a Sainsbury food shop if you need to get a sandwich/salad/drink. I did not try the Iron Duke pub in the station (hard to believe, but true).

There are a few interesting local pubs of note; depending on how far you want to wander on foot from the hotel. The Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Rd. (about a 7-10 minute walk) is an interesting former bank branch now a pub with a good selection of pies (like Steak & Kidney, not apple and cherry) and real ales on tap. The Albert pub on Victoria Rd. is a classic Victorian pub with a restaurant upstairs.

The plaza in front of Victoria station was all ripped up when I was there (and based on the size of the hole they dug up, it will be for a while). Across the street a huge new development is slowly emerging from an even bigger hole in the ground. In other words, the whole area is a mess as traffic diversions and road closings funnel too much traffic into too little space.

The nearest nearby tourist attraction is Westminster Abbey about a mile up Victoria Rd. (easy 20 minute walk or take the No. 38 bus). Admission is a whopping £16 and it includes an AudioGuide. I opted for the Verger Tour for another £3 but while it was more personal and lasted a full 90 minutes, I'd wouldn't recommend it. Parliament Square is a bit further on (take the District line tube to Westminster). Westminster station is right on the Thames Embankment and provides access to the London Eye across Westminster Bridge.

Anyone coming from Gatwick airport will find the Gatwick Express very convenient (departures about every 30 minutes) for getting to Victoria Station. Those of you (like me) who have connections from Heathrow are in for a less convenient connection. You can catch a cab across town to Paddington station and the Heathrow Express to the airport. That's Plan A. Or, take the District line from Victoria to Hammersmith and change for the Piccadilly line direct (but with a lot of stops along the way) to Heathrow. That's plan B. Plan B takes about an hour from the hotel and is about £5 on your Oyster Card. Plan A takes about 30 minutes from the hotel early in the morning, but costs much more. I was forced to take Plan B on a quiet Sunday morning because the tube line was ripped up and under construction at the time (what you get for playing with a train system that was built in the 1800's).

So, would I recommend the DT Victoria? Yes if you're on business. Yes, if your transport needs center around Victoria station. Yes, if you're on points (but not enough points for the Trafalgar). And yes if you like to get a free cookie for breakfast!! Of all the newly-branded DoubleTrees in London, I think this one makes the most sense location-wise.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:53 pm
mmo

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Lots of good information on there! I am still in between 8 nights here (2 AXON) =320K points, or 8 nights at DW West End (2 AXON) =380K points we arrive July 13th so I better hurry up and make up my mind
Old May 26, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by mmo
In February, I stayed two nights on points. I am gold and was put on the 9th floor.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC50K, HHonors Gold
Oct / Nov Booking - no rooms available

I stayed at this property a few weeks ago and loved how convenient it was to the Station. I'm trying to book a room in late Oct 2015 (Sat night) at the DT Victoria Station and the reservation engines says No Rooms Available.

Is that odd? Is something going on with the Hotel?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by duckdollars
I stayed at this property a few weeks ago and loved how convenient it was to the Station. I'm trying to book a room in late Oct 2015 (Sat night) at the DT Victoria Station and the reservation engines says No Rooms Available.

Is that odd? Is something going on with the Hotel?
Last week October is school half term week and last weekends before clock changes 1hour for winter time and it gets dark 1hour earlier

Always a busy week for the hotels and flights and rooms&flights all charged at a premium

Also used for those flying out of LGW. As a 20-30 minute train from Victoria Station.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by mmo
i just got one today

usual issue of checking in online meaning that i had to ask to be upgraded though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.