Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Budapest (near Castle) {HUN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Budapest (near Castle) {HUN}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I had a wonderful stay as a Diamond (on points) four years ago in June.
Great upgrade to exe room danube view, very good executive lounge with superb offerings at evening happy hour (enough for dinner) and nice quiet location on the hill.
I don't know if something changed recently after reading other reviews....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Great upgrade to exe room danube view, very good executive lounge with superb offerings at evening happy hour (enough for dinner) and nice quiet location on the hill.
I don't know if something changed recently after reading other reviews....
Based on your description of "a nice quiet location on the hill" I'd say Budapest has changed quite a bit, since it's been "discovered" by the masses over the past four years. The area around the Hilton Castle is now absolutely full with tourists and tour buses.

My last visit (last fall) I thought the city had been changed by all the tourists (not for the better) and that many locals were just sick of it.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Originally Posted by Kacee
My last visit (last fall) I thought the city had been changed by all the tourists (not for the better) and that many locals were just sick of it.
Four years ago is like night and day when it comes to tourism worldwide. So many countries/regions/cities have exploded into the mainstream and are now on the front pages for the masses. And so many more people are traveling. This is definitely the case for Budapest and all of the Danube cities for that matter.

That being said, most of these tourists travel in herds and do not stray far from their known territories, and in Budapest it is still fairly easy to avoid most of them. This is one of the cities where I strongly advocate an apartment rental or AirBnb over staying at a chain hotel - very easy to live like a local in a neighborhood with lots of character (not to mention the price differential - huge supply of renovated flats versus a modest number of chain hotels). Did this last spring and loved the city even more than when first visiting years ago.
:D! and Kacee like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Deleted by author

Last edited by Points Scrounger; May 16, 2019 at 12:35 pm
Old May 27, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s more than ten years since I stayed here; I remember I was given the loft suite. How are Suite upgrades these days?

I noticed in the inventory that the King Exec with River View is €10 more than the Loft Suite, which is... interesting. I guess the view is worth a lot more, but the suite is at least twice as big, if not more.

Would like a River Suite, but would settle for Loft one night and Exec View another. Only River Suite is mentioned as having a Nespresso.
MoodyB likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by hugolover
It’s more than ten years since I stayed here; I remember I was given the loft suite. How are Suite upgrades these days?

I noticed in the inventory that the King Exec with River View is €10 more than the Loft Suite, which is... interesting. I guess the view is worth a lot more, but the suite is at least twice as big, if not more.

Would like a River Suite, but would settle for Loft one night and Exec View another. Only River Suite is mentioned as having a Nespresso.
I have never been upgraded to a suite in this property but in my last 3/4 stays I got an Exec with River View(in 10/12 previous stays as HHD never received the River view.

Good luck!
Old May 31, 2019, 6:52 am

Does my man Tibor Kovacs still work in the executive lounge? I selfishly hope he has not retired!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Does my man Tibor Kovacs still work in the executive lounge? I selfishly hope he has not retired!
Yes he is still there, I saw him pushing a trolley delivering the welcome gift's. Before I'd see him, they told me he's having some surgery on his back issues but otherwise seems fine.
iluvdoco and MoodyB like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes he is still there, I saw him pushing a trolley delivering the welcome gift's. Before I'd see him, they told me he's having some surgery on his back issues but otherwise seems fine.
Although, in my experience, he is the greatest lounge attendant of all time (although Ken, now a manager, at the HK Conrad is close), he surely deserves to retire at some point!

Once when my wife and I were there, we had commented on how much we really enjoyed a wine they were serving, but we had to leave for dinner due to reservations. He basically asked for our room number, and we had a bottle waiting for us upon our return from town. I mean wow!
Grog, iluvdoco and MoodyB like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Although, in my experience, he is the greatest lounge attendant of all time (although Ken, now a manager, at the HK Conrad is close), he surely deserves to retire at some point!

Once when my wife and I were there, we had commented on how much we really enjoyed a wine they were serving, but we had to leave for dinner due to reservations. He basically asked for our room number, and we had a bottle waiting for us upon our return from town. I mean wow!
I think many of us FTers will wholeheartedly agree that he is the best executive lounge attendant in the world.

I have a similar story to share...my family and I offhandedly remarked that we loved marzipan. He came back the next day and gifted us with several marzipan candies from a local shop. So thoughtful! Treated us more like old friends than lounge guests.
teemuflyer and MoodyB like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Looking at booking a stay here in October. Thanks forvvall the good information
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Looking at booking a stay here in October. Thanks forvvall the good information
Do we have any recent experiences and expected construction noise that is listed on the hotel webpage?

We are planning a 3 night stay in May and are a bit concerned about it.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by Herkenrath
Do we have any recent experiences and expected construction noise that is listed on the hotel webpage?

We are planning a 3 night stay in May and are a bit concerned about it.
Headed there this coming Saturday, can report back in a couple of weeks if no one else has
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA - Bronze , IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Just returned from a 5 night stay. Had a good start being upgraded from a Superior Room with River view to a King Danube Suite! The view was great, espically at night with all the lights. No sign of Tibor in the lounge but the food in the evening was nice and enough for dinner after a big Hungarian lunch.

In terms of the construction work, we were woken by drilling once and during of the the afternoons that we had come back to the hotel there was a fair amount of banging going on. There was a crane parked under our window which was extended on the last two days and formed part of our view, I suspect that played a part in us getting the upgrade as someone who paid for it might have not been so happy at having their view obstructed.

All in all the constucrtion was not too disruptive unless you like sleeping in past 9 as that is when they seem to start.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres
I was there at the end of February. Tibor has retired (and is enjoying it) and the staff in the Executive Lounge are doing their best to fill the void. Construction is underway for a rooftop bar, which is very exciting,and we didn't experience any disruptions or excessive noise.

During a previous stay, they were still remodeling the guest rooms and all are complete now. As a Diamond (paying with points) I was upgraded to a Danube side room, but not on the Executive floor. Our room was lovely; it was clean, quiet and comfortable.
We enjoyed breakfast in the EL each day. While not as expansive as the buffet in the restaurant, it was perfect for us, offering breads, meats, cheeses, and hot items. HHonors Diamonds can choose the EL or the restaurant each day at no charge. There are many wonderful restaurants in Budapest, but it is worth it to spend one evening meal at LANG Bistro (the mangelica pork is incredible).

Staff are helpful and courteous. I've stayed here several times over the past 7 years and service, while always good, continues to improve. As stated by others earlier, it is no longer a quiet hill in Buda. Castle Hill is packed with tourists during all times of the year now. The hotel, however, is peaceful and quiet.
After a stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in October, which was fine, it was good to be back at the Hilton Budapest on Castle Hill. The service is the absolute best and the views can't be beat.
teemuflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.