Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Budapest (near Castle) {HUN}

Hilton Budapest (near Castle) {HUN}

Old May 15, 00, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Budapest (near Castle) {HUN}

going to stop in budapest during honeymoon. trying to decide between hotel gellert and hilton. does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks in advance.
Old May 15, 00, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Have not stayed at these. The Hyatt is very nice.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 05-15-2000).]
Old May 15, 00, 3:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
from the Hilton (on the Citadelle) you have a great look down to the Danube and you overlook Pest (and they integrated remains of a 13C Dominican church ... with a gamblers paradise/casion0!).

The most luxurious hotel (5*) in Budapest is, without doubt, the Kempinski Hotel Corvinus. Then, it is a fair even race (4*) between Hilton, Marriott, Atrium Hyatt and InterConti.

The Gellert (which I would rate as a very good 3* hotel) has a fascinating Art Noveou Decor and direct entrance to the world-famous Therapeutic baths.

There is a very trendy, nice, comfortable 2* hotel: K+K Hotel Opera, at Revay Utca 24 with stylish modern interior design and rates which will be 50% of the other hotels above.
Old Dec 19, 00, 9:10 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.992MM And holding - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Budapest Hilton

I did a search on this hotel and found a couple posts, but nothing recent.
I am considering doing an award stay for 3 people in March. How does this property do with regards to upgrades? Any other comments?
Old Dec 19, 00, 9:23 am

It's a cut above most Hilton's. Try the wine cellar...in the cellar.

------------------
speedbird001
Old Dec 19, 00, 2:57 pm
DOC 2 BE

Originally posted by Tomphot:
I did a search on this hotel and found a couple posts, but nothing recent.
I am considering doing an award stay for 3 people in March. How does this property do with regards to upgrades? Any other comments?
I stayed at the hotel in July, 1998. If you have any other questions, let me know.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-11-2001).]

Old Dec 19, 00, 5:39 pm

DOC 2 BE

Thank so much for your response. 2 more questions.
Did you get an upgrade?
How big were the rooms, I am traveling with my brother and sister and we really don't want to have to pay for 2 rooms or should I say I really don't want to have to pay for 2 rooms.
Thanks
Old Dec 19, 00, 10:55 pm
DOC 2 BE

Dear Tomphot,

I could not tell you how they are with regard to upgrades, as I was a lowly Silver back then. My room with my wife was nice-sized, but I don't think it was capable of supporting more than 2 people.

I do not know if they have suites that could support 3 or more.

Old Dec 20, 00, 7:16 am

Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:

If I may venture, although we liked Budapest, we really loved Prague, and I could gush about that Hilton hotel (which I think is owned by the same group that owns the Budapest Hilton).
I love Prague as well and have been twice in recent years. We found a local guy who rents out very large rooms in his place in the middle of old town. On our last trip, we paid $35 per night.
We haven't been to Budapest so we thought we needed go for this trip.
Thanks

Old Dec 20, 00, 8:16 am
DOC 2 BE

Dear Tomphot,

One other word. I just received my new Hilton worldwide directory and it lists another Budapest Hilton!!!

Old Jan 14, 01, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
If you like history, the original Hilton is the one. It was built as a compromise between the historic preservationists and the Hilton. When digging for the hotel, layers of history were uncovered. Rather than shut down the construction, artifacts were built into the hotel. You can see remains of an ancient chapel inside. The hotel is worth a trip even if you do not stay there. There are shops and restaurants with outdoor dining on this side of the river and a gorgeous view of the Parliament Building.
Old Jan 14, 01, 5:33 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally posted by DOC 2 BE:
One drawback that you won't encounter, is that the summers in Budapest were quite hot and the air conditioning is quite inadequate--typical European airconditioning. .
Yes, you've picked a good time to go. My wife and I were in Budapest in January 1997. It was so bitterly cold and windy (and we actually like cold weather!) that we regretfully did not do much walking or outdoor sightseeing.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old Jan 15, 01, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage Plat & 1mm, Admirals Club, United Club (life), Marriott/Hilton/Accor Gold
Oh, my. This hotel is awful! If I could implode any building in the world, this would be near the top of my list. This hotel never should have been built. Castle hill is a magnificient place and one of my favorite places in Europe. The architecture of this hotel is hideous. They built the Hilton by "saving" a historic facade and slapping on three ugly glass and copper walls. It is one of the most disgusting pieces of architechture this side of Moscow.It's like building a Wal-Mart in the Vatican... As you can see, I find this building quite upsetting!

Alternatives include the Radison SAS Hotel, the Gellert (they have a great Turkish bath), or even the Inter-Continental.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 01-15-2001).]
Old Apr 1, 01, 1:42 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
need email for budapest hilton

Does anyone have this? I really mean the Hilton (not the West End)
Thanks
Old Apr 1, 01, 5:26 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
If no one comes up with a better answer:
http://www.danubiusgroup.com/danubius/hilton.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: