Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 2:51 pm
rjh
Original Poster

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area {US-CA}

One night weekend paid stay at Hilton Garden Inn Pasadena, California vicinity in neighboring city of Arcadia. Closest airport BUR-Burbank.

Very noisy air con. Bathroom clean. Comp continental breakfast with friendly staff (waiter wanted to shake hands, rare in my experience). Maybe a bit too much angling for a tip.

High speed complimentary wired Internet worked fine. No exec floors or lounge. Medium sized outdoor pool. Didn't observe fitness room. Staff ok. Comp two water bottles from lobby pantry. Free outdoor parking.

Embassy Suites across the street.
Rich
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Review - stay June 18 - 22, 2007

Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
199 North Second Avenue, Arcadia, California, USA 91006
Tel: +1-626-574-6900 Fax: +1-626-574-9910
Proprietary website www.arcadia.gardeninn.com

AAA Rating <> <> <>. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . HHonors Category 2 (20,000 points per night)

The hotel is fairly easy to get to - take the Huntington exit westbound, and take North 2nd Avenue north - it's easy to turn right prematurely. There is a number of hotels in the immediate vicinity, and a couple of shopping centers with a number of restaurants within walking and driving distance. I am staying at a rather high AAA rate of $151.05 Mon-Thu, $143.10 Thu-Fri, still cheaper than the government rate at he Westin Pasadena venue where I will be training (but wouldn't get breakfast nor free Internet, iirc.) (This pace doesn't seem very popular with FlyerTalkers, that's for sure!) Location is close to the Santa Anita raced track, and about 30 miles from Burbank (BUR) airport. It's looking pretty full, and the lot is full of vehicles.

3:00 PM check-in was unremarkable, not any greeting or the like, in fact fairly desultory (I'm not going to assume everyone is this way - several days to go.) I was looking for a fourth floor (upper floor) room, and I got it - less noise with nobody tramping about on your ceiling. The lobby, Pavilion Pantry (has Negra Modelo as well as "those other beers,") convenience shop and Great American Grill are pretty standard, nothing to shout home about - but the Great American Grill is only open for breakfast, 6:00 - 10:00 weekdays, 6:30 - 10:30 weekends, with American hot breakfast at $9.95 (free hot breakfast chits for Diamonds.)

The elevators seem a bit shabby, and the carpet throughout has seen better days in this hotel. It's probably more noticeable because the carpet looks poorly kept, with lots of wear and rubbish showing showing in the elevators - and after four days, you could grow potatoes in the elevators. There are a heated out door pool, a fitness center, 124 rooms, the usual coin laundry, 24-hour business center with remote PrinterOn printing from your computer that doesn't work, complimentary outdoor parking (rubbish and trash in the lot on arrival,) and staff are variable - most are friendly, they are willing to print from your e-mail attachments given PritnerOn is off.

Last night, the manager invited me to partake of a display of cold beers in the Great American Grill, which I declined telling her I would rather purchase a Negra Modelo from the pantry - she retrieved one for me and gave it to me free, and later offered me more. (Silly me - I though this was some kind of manager's reception as a result, and as I eased myself into the line for what looked like a nice line of crudites and hot hors d'oeuvres, she came over and whispered sotto voce into my ear it was a private event. as I shuffled off to drink my Negra Modelo...)

The room is the usual generous King bedded room in my case, and non-smoking (there is a printed warning on the front of the key envelope that states smoke will earn a $75 charge, and early check-out will incur a charge of $50.00. Colors are a cream stucco-textured wall with a decorative floral band where wall touches ceiling, warm oranges and browns predominating on spread and armchair with round Ottoman. The carpet is dark with toasty pink highlights in a chevron pattern, and the decor is harmoniously designed. Furniture is a light walnut, consisting of a shelf set with fridge (two courtesy bottles of water already chilled in the fridge,) coffee and tea set with two Lipton tea bags and one each packet of La Matina Arabica coffee and decaf, ice bucket and Sanyo microwave (low capacity.)

Another cabinet holds the usual 25 or 27" TV, depending on whose propaganda you believe, television, as well as two large and two small drawers. The desk has a swivel lamp, two-line telephone, twin 110V AC electric outlet, Ethernet cable (which was frayed, had a broken retaining tip and I had exchanged,) and usual ergonomic chair; I am eschewing Ethernet for the excellent WiFi, which is faster in any case and requires no password for access. The bed is flanked by two low chests / night tables, each with table lamps, a telephone and the Hilton (Timex) clock. The somewhat spare closet contains iron and board. The overall effect is cheery and warm.

The WiFi works, but the business facilities are hit or miss - I sent some important documents for use in training tomorrow (7:00 AM in a neighboring city) to the PrinterOn queue, and was informed it doesn't work. The copy machine is finicky and cranky, with missing trays - and it has to be set on paper drawer no. 1, because the other is broken. Fortunately, desk person Claudia P. is very helpful, so she allowed me to e-mail her my PDF docs and printed them out for me.

HVAC can be a bit misleading - the thermostat on the wall is adjustable, but actually doesn't seem to control anything. For temperature and air control, one must lift the small flap on the fixed below-window unit and operate the clear and easy controls (but temps are only displayed in Fahrenheit, for our non-American visitors.) I can hear muted traffic and freeway noise, some bathroom water movement in nearby rooms, and the toilet is somewhat leaky.

The bathroom seems a bit small, and the shower-tub combo still does not have the bowed shower curtain rod; the shower is a Möen single control type. A faux marble sink is flanked by towel rack and hair dryer, and displays a tissue box and full Neutrogena amenitii (bath and facial soap, shower cap, vanity kit with pads, cotton tips, mini emery board and arced plastic dental flosser, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, mouthwash and shoe polishing rag - no sewing kit.) New HH collection towels by Martex are in plentiful supply.

Given the Great American Grill is not open for lunch or dinner, one may eat at a wide choice of nearby restaurants, or order in from Á la Carte Delivery from (626)447.0700, also faxable at (626) 447.7199. The menu seems quite broad, calling from a number of restaurants and adding a delivery surcharge of $6.50 "and up, based on your zone," minimum $15 order (excluding tax etc.) plus gratuity (12% added to orders of $75 or more,) "discounted for cash," meaning they will add 3.75% for AMEX, Visa, MC, Diners or Discover. Delivery is advertised as "45 - 60 minutes, no guaranteed delivery times," and one may order 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM weekdays only and 5:00 - 9:30 PM seven days a week. They stipulate same as restaurant meal prices. I've not tried them - I'd rather take a walk and eat...

The nearest restaurant is "Capistrano's" across the street in the Embassy Suites, and I wish HHonors allowed one to rack up HH points for eating at a family property if one is not staying, as Starwood does. (And I am glad I am not staying at the ES - very loud, gruff group pf guys, shouting at each other across the atrium from the outdoor corridors, etc.) Nearby are a Hampton Inn, Marriott Residence Inn and Marriott Springhill Suites - Doubletree coming "soon" (was supposed to open January 2007, but...)

Executive summary: it's a HGI, and I like the consistency of the brand when I am on the road. The entry area and elevators / lifts seem a bit dirtier than they should be to make a good impression, staff seems a bit, er, untrained so far, and I am now hearing folks return form their work day, talking loudly and slamming doors - this hotel lacks some soundproofing - I am up at 5:00, and people are already slamming doors and talking in loud voice tones. And this property does not have the businessperson foremost in their mind, witnessed by shabby or inop equipment.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 21, 2007 at 4:37 pm Reason: add bits as the stay progresses
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by rjh
One night weekend paid stay at Hilton Garden Inn Pasadena, California vicinity in neighboring city of Arcadia. Closest airport BUR-Burbank.

Very noisy air con. Bathroom clean. Comp continental breakfast with friendly staff (waiter wanted to shake hands, rare in my experience). Maybe a bit too much angling for a tip.

High speed complimentary wired Internet worked fine. No exec floors or lounge. Medium sized outdoor pool. Didn't observe fitness room. Staff ok. Comp two water bottles from lobby pantry. Free outdoor parking.

Embassy Suites across the street.
Rich

It is just a typical HGI and like many other, you can pretty much know in advance what you can expect.

Executive Floors or Lounge at a HGI, don't ever recall any of them had one! Perhaps the DT opening just down the street in July will have one!

I am here at least once or twice a month. I find the staff to be great, then again they all know me by name!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:05 pm

I think this afternoon they had a trainee and one other person who was pretty blasé. We'll see how the week progresses. And BTW, it is pretty full!

Originally Posted by Motion122
It is just a typical HGI and like many other, you can pretty much know in advance what you can expect.

Executive Floors or Lounge at a HGI, don't ever recall any of them had one! Perhaps the DT opening just down the street in July will have one!

I am here at least once or twice a month. I find the staff to be great, then again they all know me by name!
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
There are "evolution" style beded rooms now at the HGI Arcadia, but only a few rooms have them, including the suites. Yes, if some of you didn't know, they do have suites at this property. As a Diamond with between 6-10 stays a year at this property for the last 3 years, only landed in the suite twice.

No more bottled water coupons for HH Gold and higher, instead two bottled waters are place in the room(front desk manager informed me about this as a new policy, property specific?), nice touch! During my last stay I even got a bag of chips! ^

This hotel is getting very full lately...Rates are driven up as well. No more AAA rates in the high $80's, only low $100's to be had over the weekends. The positive side is that it is still a cat 2 property, only 20K pts are needed for a reward. In my opinion, this property is worth the 20K! ^
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Just to add:

The property is located on Restaurant Row with about 15 chain restaurants all within walking distance in a safe area.

If you have a car (which you should have here), then bypass the chain fare and head to Old Town Monrovia (off N Myrtle Ave) about 7 minutes away for locally owned restaurants in an Old Town Pasadena "Light" area without the crowds/waits, etc.

Another recommendation: Excellent Mexican food is Paco's at Foothill and 2nd.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:23 am

Yup, I had one of the "evolution" bedded rooms - and the bottles of water is pretty standard at HGIs these days, in lieu of the chits for the pantry. A few HGIs are even good about replenishing the water bottle stock.

And, yes, this hotel has become quite popular, but with the new DoubleTree going in down the street, perhaps rates will drop a bit.

Originally Posted by Motion122
There are "evolution" style beded rooms now at the HGI Arcadia, but only a few rooms have them, including the suites. Yes, if some of you didn't know, they do have suites at this property. As a Diamond with between 6-10 stays a year at this property for the last 3 years, only landed in the suite twice.

No more bottled water coupons for HH Gold and higher, instead two bottled waters are place in the room(front desk manager informed me about this as a new policy, property specific?), nice touch! During my last stay I even got a bag of chips! ^

This hotel is getting very full lately...Rates are driven up as well. No more AAA rates in the high $80's, only low $100's to be had over the weekends. The positive side is that it is still a cat 2 property, only 20K pts are needed for a reward. In my opinion, this property is worth the 20K! ^
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
No Evoluation Beds or Bottled Water-Feb '09

Just finished 3 nights @ this property this past weekend. According to the Sales Mgr, who handled the checkout, while all the king bedded rooms have been upgraded to the Evolution beds, only 4 rooms w/the Queens have been done & they don't expect to have the rest done for another year. I can't remember the last time I slept in such an uncomfortable bed!! Interestingly, when I stopped @ the desk after my first unpleasant night's sleep, the girl there kept insisting I was in a new bed & that all the rooms in the hotel had them; told the Sales Mgr she needed to explain the real bed upgrade status to the rest of the staff!

Also, no complimentary bottled water @ check-in & actually no Hilton branded bottled water in the pantry at all! Anyone know whether HGI has eliminated this ammenity? I did get bottles @ my last HGI stay in CRP in December.

Message waiting lights on both phones blinking for the entire 3 days-front desk staff notified multiple times, but couldn't get them to shut off. Ended up throwing towels over both phones @ night to sleep. Ice machines on both the 2nd & 3rd floors not working, either.

I'm generally a big fan of HGI's in gen'l, but I'll have 2nd thoughts about this specific property in the future.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by txrus
Just finished 3 nights @ this property this past weekend. According to the Sales Mgr, who handled the checkout, while all the king bedded rooms have been upgraded to the Evolution beds, only 4 rooms w/the Queens have been done & they don't expect to have the rest done for another year. I can't remember the last time I slept in such an uncomfortable bed!! Interestingly, when I stopped @ the desk after my first unpleasant night's sleep, the girl there kept insisting I was in a new bed & that all the rooms in the hotel had them; told the Sales Mgr she needed to explain the real bed upgrade status to the rest of the staff!

Also, no complimentary bottled water @ check-in & actually no Hilton branded bottled water in the pantry at all! Anyone know whether HGI has eliminated this ammenity? I did get bottles @ my last HGI stay in CRP in December.

Message waiting lights on both phones blinking for the entire 3 days-front desk staff notified multiple times, but couldn't get them to shut off. Ended up throwing towels over both phones @ night to sleep. Ice machines on both the 2nd & 3rd floors not working, either.

I'm generally a big fan of HGI's in gen'l, but I'll have 2nd thoughts about this specific property in the future.
I asked for bottled water there last month and was told that no, even Diamonds don't get bottled water unless it is selected as your Myway amenity. Unfortunately, the Embassy across the street has the same policy. But, I've received bottled water in other HGI's in subsequent stays, so I don't think it is a corporate-wide policy.

The good thing IMO about Arcadia/Monrovia is the vast choice in good restaurants (at least compared to the wasteland where I live). Sesame Grill across the street is fantastic.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sesame Grill is a great "Asian fusion French restaruant", and their price is quite reseaonable.
Derby nearby is known for their steak.
If you go south a bit, there is a very popular Chinese restaurant known for the dumpling: Din Tai Fung. Do prepare to wait in line for because they are very popular. The food is reallly good.
Lots of good restaurants near this hotel.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:24 pm

This is one of my favorite properties in the Pasadena/Arcadia area. I used to visit at least 3-4 times each month, but have not returned in a while. Two bottled water used to wait right in the room for me upon my arrival. I used to get a little snack with the water as well.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Location is good

No doubt about it, both for dining options (even easily walkable should you be feeling energetic), including the soon to be opened new Pasadena Stonefire Grill, not to mention the easy freeway access, but the bed thing is a huge problem for me. If I'm traveling w/someone else, getting a King room isn't an option & w/only 4 of the Queen rooms upgraded, the odds of getting a room w/bad beds is pretty high.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:32 pm

All bedding have been upgraded now.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Any recent (2012) stays

Hi,

Anyone stayed here recently and have any updates on rooms or staff or cleanliness? Any suggestions on what floor to request when checking in?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by rxziebel
Hi,

Anyone stayed here recently and have any updates on rooms or staff or cleanliness? Any suggestions on what floor to request when checking in?

Thanks in advance.
I stay at the Pasadena/Arcadia HGI at least once a month. Still very clean and the staff is wonderful. Great area to be in, very safe, lots of restaurant options within 5 minutes walking distance. I like the top floor myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.