Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by hugolover
As Gold, it used to be you would get upgraded to the Exec Floor if space available, now it seems they don't have to do that and could give you a Guest Room Plus. If this is correct, its a massive devaluation of the programme.

The same applies to Diamonds except you get access to the lounge.

I'd imagine quite a few hotels will follow this cheaper method and upgrade to "preferred" rooms.
Believe it or not, gold is already devalued anyway through numerous and endless promotions...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
(such as when I am in Toronto and stay at the courtyard instead of the Hilton mainly because the CY gives a full hot breakfast buffet comped on a AAA rate).
Is that unique to the specific rate booked or something that property does for all Gold/Plat guests on all rates? The overall program rule is that CY doesn't have to provide breakfast to any status level at all.

My experience at HGI (since we're discussing a CY) as a Gold is that I've been given a voucher in the amount of the continental breakfast and could apply it to a hot breakfast. Price difference is usually something like $3. But it's been about 3 years since I've done an HGI so no idea if this is still commonplace.

If I was regularly doing suburban stays where these brands were my main choices, I'd probably go HGI. Either that or dump all of my preferred chains in favor of Hyatt Place...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
how is this a reduction in benefits????even before an upgrade to an executive room was not guaranteed....you could have gotten a one level upgrade before as well....all depends on availability....
The old way:

"You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked."

The new way:

"Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors**, or suites, as identified by each property."

So the old way guaranteed you an Executive Floor room if there is one available; if there isn't one available, then it is up to the hotel. The new way, it is up to the hotel to do whatever they want. The hotel would not be breaking any rule if there is an Executive Floor room open, but put you in an upgraded garden view room instead of parking lot view.

I would feel better if the words were changed to:

You will be upgraded to a suite (where/when available) at time of check-in. If a suite is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If WA offered breakfast to diamonds I would be more likely to consider their properties. Especially the soon to open one in Chicago. Hopefully that one will have an EL.

I still think if Hilton want to improve the program they should change the breakfast from a contential to full breakfast for diamonds. That chance alone would get Hilton more of my business (such as when I am in Toronto and stay at the courtyard instead of the Hilton mainly because the CY gives a full hot breakfast buffet comped on a AAA rate).
Well, although it could be better to have free breakfasts at W=A as diamond, I am very comfortable to get a suite upgrade as of right now. One may always book a breakfast room rate, which is not that expensive at all.

I just booked W=A Park City on a Daily Breakfast rate - $249, including $50 breakfast credits for two daily; just in case you wonder, the regular room rate is $239.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I know that. In this case Diamond is devalued again too, you MIGHT get a suite but I'd be inclined to say its far more likely to get the bare minimum which is now a single category upgrade and lounge access.

To take away Executive Rooms for Golds by giving the property complete discretion, in favour of a written single category upgrade (the worst example being the Guest Room Plus scam) makes the programme pretty worthless IMO.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
The old way:

"You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked."

The new way:

"Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability for the entire stay at the time of check-in. Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors**, or suites, as identified by each property."

So the old way guaranteed you an Executive Floor room if there is one available; if there isn't one available, then it is up to the hotel. The new way, it is up to the hotel to do whatever they want. The hotel would not be breaking any rule if there is an Executive Floor room open, but put you in an upgraded garden view room instead of parking lot view.
Exactly, this is a major devaluation. My parents are HHG and they value their card for their leisure stays. In this case it could be practically worthless as before they nearly always got upgraded to an Executive Room with lounge access.

As HHD its fair enough getting the lounge anyway, but that's hardly satisfactory when Executive Rooms are available and you are allocated a standard plus. Some hotel's may give suite's but they did that anyway without any wording and it's just 'may' anyway, it always was 'may'. This wording is much worse as it gives hotels that do the bare minimum a chance to sink even lower.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:23 am

Yes I know that. In this case Diamond is devalued again too, you MIGHT get a suite but I'd be inclined to say its far more likely to get the bare minimum which is now a single category upgrade and lounge access.

To take away Executive Rooms for Golds by giving the property complete discretion, in favour of a written single category upgrade (the worst example being the Guest Room Plus scam) makes the programme pretty worthless IMO.
Well, I am with you about devaluation of HHonors gold benefits, but if compared with SPG gold or Marriott gold, HHonors gold is still entitled to a lot of fringe benefits, such as free Internet and breakfasts. If this is worthless, I don't know what's the underlying value for SPG or Marriott program...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lewende
Well, although it could be better to have free breakfasts at W=A as diamond, I am very comfortable to get a suite upgrade as of right now. One may always book a breakfast room rate, which is not that expensive at all.

I just booked W=A Park City on a Daily Breakfast rate - $249, including $50 breakfast credits for two daily; just in case you wonder, the regular room rate is $239.
Which type of room did you book (King or Deluxe King)? It will be interesting to see what you end up getting. When are you going? That will have an impact on what the upgrade can be, being at a ski resort and all... Let us know!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewende
Well, I am with you about devaluation of HHonors gold benefits, but if compared with SPG gold or Marriott gold, HHonors gold is still entitled to a lot of fringe benefits, such as free Internet and breakfasts. If this is worthless, I don't know what's the underlying value for SPG or Marriott program...
It's getting to be the case that there is little point bothering with any programme if you have a low-medium status level. You'd be far better off staying with an independent hotel that is often better anyway. There can only be a handful of places where Hilton is the best option. I mean, who hasn't stayed in a crappy Hilton simply because you have a Gold/Diamond card when there was a better, perhaps even cheaper option from another chain or hotel company. This is often the situation in the UK where many properties are decrepit!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is that unique to the specific rate booked or something that property does for all Gold/Plat guests on all rates? The overall program rule is that CY doesn't have to provide breakfast to any status level at all.

My experience at HGI (since we're discussing a CY) as a Gold is that I've been given a voucher in the amount of the continental breakfast and could apply it to a hot breakfast. Price difference is usually something like $3. But it's been about 3 years since I've done an HGI so no idea if this is still commonplace.

If I was regularly doing suburban stays where these brands were my main choices, I'd probably go HGI. Either that or dump all of my preferred chains in favor of Hyatt Place...

At the CY on Yonge in Toronto they have a GREAT hot breakfast buffet (and with the exception of the LV Hilton buffet better than any Hilton breakfast I have had) that is free for up to two people on their AAA rate. THe location is a little more convenient for me (just by a few blocks) than the Toronto Hilton or the HGI and those factors, along with that CY having an "elite checkin line" (that silver and higher can use), is enough to make me chose to stay there. The AAA rate at that CY is usually reasonable and the buffet is based on that rate, not your MR status.

My experience with HGI's has been a hot buffet where the chef will make you a waffle or omlette or cooked to order eggs upon request. The HGI on 8th in NYC used to give you vouchers that you could use for a variety of hot breakfast entrees (and I loved their breakfast) but it's my understanding they have the hot buffet in the morning now.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:44 am

Exactly, this is a major devaluation. My parents are HHG and they value their card for their leisure stays. In this case it could be practically worthless as before they nearly always got upgraded to an Executive Room with lounge access.

As HHD its fair enough getting the lounge anyway, but that's hardly satisfactory when Executive Rooms are available and you are allocated a standard plus. Some hotel's may give suite's but they did that anyway without any wording and it's just 'may' anyway, it always was 'may'. This wording is much worse as it gives hotels that do the bare minimum a chance to sink even lower.
It does seem like HH is shifting the power of decision to the hotels. Let each hotel decides which are standard rooms and which are preferred rooms. Let each hotel decides how they want to hand out the room upgrades. Some day you get suite upgrade; some day you get a plus view room. At some hotels you will never see standard reward room again; at other hotels the premium reward rooms would be cheaper than standard reward rooms at certain time of the year..or day of week.. or time of the day...

Life as a HH diamond is like a box of chocolate.. you never know what you are going to get!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Need
The old way:

The new way:

I would feel better if the words were changed to:

You will be upgraded to a suite (where/when available) at time of check-in. If a suite is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked.
its just a polite way of saying you will get upgraded to a better room if one is available....no different from what it used to be earlier except now suites are included in the upgrade pool....
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
its just a polite way of saying you will get upgraded to a better room if one is available....no different from what it used to be earlier except now suites are included in the upgrade pool....
Yes, but it used to be "you will get upgraded to an executive room if one is available". Now your booking for a Guest Room can be upgraded to a Deluxe Room instead.

Just as long as diamonds keep our guaranteed lounge access...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's getting to be the case that there is little point bothering with any programme if you have a low-medium status level.
My view isn't quite as dire on the mid-tiers. If you're in an urban or resort setting where the primary choices are big hotels (as opposed to condos, upscale B&B's, or truly amazing boutique hotels), then I still think a mid-tier status is valuable to have. The viable mid-tiers I'm thinking of are HH Gold, MR Gold, and HY Plat. Those should ensure a desirable room, good treatment from the hotel, attention to your preferences, sometimes lounge access, etc. Occasionally, a meaningful upgrade. Often, a larger regular room, better view, etc.

I generally agree with you on the low-tiers - MR Silver, HH Silver, SPG Gold - those don't carry much weight. With those levels, just enjoy the few extra bonus points and the confidence that they'll usually get your bed/smoke right because they'll assign your room before the rooms sold to third-party travel agents.

I don't consider Starwood to have a mid-tier. With them, you gotta get to Platinum, and then I think most people enjoy that status.

Since all of the chains pretty much give away their low-tiers without any stays required, it isn't surprising to me.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But before you did anyway, as I said suites always was may, it didn't need to be written down unless its going to be will be. Will be which is pretty much a guarantee is now gone in favour of may which is just waffle and pretty meaningless.

Yes you will get an upgrade but it MAY be a view over the city instead of the car park and as Gold before while you will be upgraded to the Executive Floor (space avail) now you may get any sort of upgrade including the ones which would influence you not to bother any more with HHonors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.