Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I want to say it's GREAT to be back at The Hilton!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hello Hilton H Honors members and those who are about to become them. I recently took up Starwoods 50,000 ASIAPAC SPG points promo for 5 stays in Asia and OZ and although the service was good and the rooms were clean.....It's GREAT to be back at The Hilton!!

The reason is, of course, during my Bangkok stays, I received NO BREAKFAST. In other words, I sacrificed my usual way of living in BKK (staying at the Hilton properties and at the Windsor Suites) to gain those generous SPG points and getting "no morning chow". I even didn't have any guests! Can you believe that?? AMAZING!!

The SPG promo ends July 31st and the points come in August. But I'm staying at Conrad, Hilton, HGI and other Hilton properties as a GOLD member to get the benefits earned at a good hotel with double dipping points and airline miles + double points using a visa card promotion.

It was torture, I'll tell you! :-)

SHADO
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:32 am

It's great to see your enthusiasm and appreciation for the great extras we are given. Too often we only look at what they aren't doing. I'm sure you brighten the day of the Hilton staff with your positive attitude
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:16 pm

I did the same thing. Hilton has always been my favorite and now it is even more so!!!!!! Starwood is a distant second or third!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
SHADO,

You're getting 50,000 bonus points and you're complaining about the breakfast!

I wonder how many Hilton members never complain about upgrades? Oh...you didn't get the upgrade; not at SPG.

I wonder how many Honors members were told that, "Sorry, we don't have an award room available." *wood always has an award room for you.

Now I will say that I wish *wood offered breakfast; but in the scheme of things, IMHO, the other perks are more valuable.

Dan
Old Jul 2, 2003, 1:11 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

The point is how Hilton treats their Gold members compared to how Starwood treats their Gold members (both middle tier).

With Starwood, you get nothing other than the Elite 50% bonus points. Sure, you might get the occasional upgrade but majority of the time - they give you this dog and pony show about how it's not available and then they'll try to sell you the upgrade. [Sure, Platinum is another story but we're comparing middle tiers here]

With Hilton, you are given an upgrade majority of the time being a Gold member. You're given lounge access (which is excellent especially at international properties such as Conrads with food all day). You're given breakfast which could cost up to $30 USD at some international properties. All these are benefits, not just goodwill.

So comparing Gold vs. Gold - Hilton wins without a doubt. FYI - I've never had a problem redeeming points with Hilton. I even managed to get GLONP at the Hong Kong Conrad on my first try 3 weeks before my trip.

I've had so many stays with Starwood as a Gold the last few weeks - I get the BS on 95% of those stays about upgrades. With Hilton, I didn't even have to ask. At one hotel which they couldn't upgrade me to Executive floor, they voluntarily offer to give me the benefits associated with Executive floors.

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
SHADO, You're getting 50,000 bonus points and you're complaining about the breakfast!
Now I will say that I wish *wood offered breakfast; but in the scheme of things, IMHO, the other perks are more valuable.
Dan
</font>
Great post, Dan! I must say, I think the clicker that makes me to Hilton over Starwoods is that lovely Peach Conditioner provided in most Hilton chains that I put all over my body and sleep like a baby in their beds! :-)

Double points and miles (double dipping)!
Upgrades when available. Great International Service, and breakfast!

Yes, 50,000 points is generous from Starwoods, but I completed that (and I have to wait until August for it to *hopefully* appear so I can transfer it to AAdvantage). Now Starwoods promos is none. I really don't see how Starwoods is ever going to lure me back.

Hilton properties (and especially their HGI as opposed to 4 points) really makes me feel like I'm in a home from home. Starwoods makes me feel like....well...even with the 50,000 promo....hotel hopping.

SHADO

[This message has been edited by SHADO (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
SHADO - I second your sentiments as I just completed my 5 stays in the Asia-Pacific region and I must say that although the W hotel in Sydney is nice, the other hotels were not great value compared to Hiltons in the area. I too missed my "extra treatment as a Hilton Gold". It came home to me when I checked in at the Adelaide Hilton and was treated like "Gold".

Thanks for 50,000 points SPG but I am glad to be back with Hilton. I am sorry, but you did not win me over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.