Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hiltons That Offer PCs in the Rooms.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2003, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold

I realize that many people value the abillity to get online while travelling. On the other hand, I also value travelling as light as possible. How many Hilton's offer PCs in the room with internet access and where are they? Wouldn't it be nice to leave that laptop behind. I'll start.

Grand Hilton Seoul on Executive Floor
for 6 Nights

Free Internet PC
LCD Monitor
Printer/Fax/Copier
Ream of paper
Jack for another PC

Anywhere Else?
Old May 15, 2003, 4:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Never heard of this one before.

Sounds like a good idea at first, however, I can't say that I would like to use a "public" computer for either business or personal use. Plus, I am sure it would never have exactly the right software that I need...
Old May 15, 2003, 6:46 pm

Many of the Hilton properties have a sort of "Web TV" setup with a wireless keyboard (placed on top of the TV) that hooks up through your TV in the room. Probably best to check with each individual property you are thinking of staying at to see if they offer that. From what I've seen, it's $9.95 a day from checkin until checkout.

I haven't used this service (as I carry a laptop aka ball and chain everywhere I travel) but I understand it's somewhat clunky and uninspiring to use; however, it beats nothing if you really need to get online.

If access is really important without carrying a laptop, you might also want to try to focus on staying at Hilton Garden Inns, many of those have "business centers" (often right behind the front desk) with a free use PC in them that has hi speed access along with a printer (beware squatters that can lurk in these rooms and spend hours on FT!). I've used this on occasion to print boarding passes when SOME airlines used to give bonuses for checking in online (are ya hearin' me, AS?. Again, I'd check with each individual property to verify this before booking.
Old May 16, 2003, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Platinum
The Hilton London Metropole had these in executive rooms. The front desk claimed they were 10p/minute, but I think they were confused as no charges ended up on my bill.
Old May 16, 2003, 7:29 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
The Hilton in Istanbul has a computer with reasonable web connectivity in the lounge. As does the Hyatt Regency a couple of blocks away.
Old May 16, 2003, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
Many of the Hilton properties have a sort of "Web TV" setup with a wireless keyboard (placed on top of the TV) that hooks up through your TV in the room. Probably best to check with each individual property you are thinking of staying at to see if they offer that. From what I've seen, it's $9.95 a day from checkin until checkout.
</font>

That is the MOST useless application of modern technology that I've ever seen. Little piece of advice - Pass Go/ Do Not Stop!!! Couple times I've tried it, it ended up with a call to the front desk, to make sure I was not charged. I'm surprised these people are still in business.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Anywhere Else?</font>
This seems to be more of a Seoul-related phenomenon than a chain-wide move.

The 'Guest Office' rooms at the Westin Chosun, and IIRC the business floor rooms at the Seoul Hilton have the exact same setup, along with a rental cellphone.

Great when available, but some of the PC's I've run into were in less than top condition (due to previous users and MSFT rather than the machine itself).
Old May 16, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:

That is the MOST useless application of modern technology that I've ever seen. Little piece of advice - Pass Go/ Do Not Stop!!! Couple times I've tried it, it ended up with a call to the front desk, to make sure I was not charged. I'm surprised these people are still in business.
</font>
I agree 1000 %. Now to something more interesting - when will all Hilton hotels have wireless Internet access in all rooms and next to the pool (which should then be free as a benefit for their elite members ).

Old May 16, 2003, 11:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Was at the HGI [Addison, IL] last year for NASCAR race. Pleased to find free access to web on PC which was in business center. Nobody hassled me and there were no other guests attempting to do same. I clicked my little fingers off before finally retiring to the hot tub!
Old May 17, 2003, 1:52 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
For the UK not aware of any rooms with PC's but the webTV solution is available in many althought at 10p a minute they are having a good laugh because the service is pretty unusable.

Also watch out because although the Hilton web site is free some hotels have the system configured so you get charged for accessing the reservations page!

The good news is BT are rolling out WiFi hotspots in nearly all English Hiltons .. the bad news is BT feel the service is likely to be used by business people so have priced the offering at 6GBP for 60 mins during one day for adhoc usage! Of course you still need PC/PDA.
Old May 17, 2003, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I agree, too. The Webtv things I've used in both Vienna and the London Metropole are so slow it took me well over ten minutes to send one email (with only a few sentences in the email). Worthless!
Old May 17, 2003, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Definitely not talking about the WEBTV option available in the rooms. Completely agree WEBTV IS ABSOLUTE crap. It may be an overall Asian thing because alot of big hotels in Korea and Japan offer PCs in the guest rooms. The PC in my room was not the greatest and latest but more than sufficient for web browsing and printing. I believe it would be a nice touch for executive floors in the US.
Old May 17, 2003, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
Definitely not talking about the WEBTV option available in the rooms. Completely agree WEBTV IS ABSOLUTE crap. It may be an overall Asian thing because alot of big hotels in Korea and Japan offer PCs in the guest rooms. The PC in my room was not the greatest and latest but more than sufficient for web browsing and printing. I believe it would be a nice touch for executive floors in the US.</font>
We were not talking about your type setup. Fredmartens brought up WebTV. Anyway, some hotels are doing the same thing around the country. I don't know if any Hiltons are, but I know for a fact that Alladin in Las Vegas has a computer setup in every room. I believe some W Hotels have them on executive floors. I agree with you, that should become standard at hotels with executive floors.

Old May 18, 2003, 4:18 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
I agree with you, that should become standard at hotels with executive floors.

</font>
Funny last time I was trying to watch TV in a Hilton room I was thinking the UK TV's are getting old and very out of date, with replacement by modern LCD flat screen units equiped with decent on demand PPV and DVD players well over due. With a decent networked system it's pretty easy to add PC services (Word,Excel,www) to such a platform and I'm surprised Microsoft have not looked at the XBox platform for this market.

I presume at the current time economics are against it although I'd always thought the TV service was outsourced.
Old May 23, 2003, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
How many Hilton's offer PCs in the room with internet access and where are they? Wouldn't it be nice to leave that laptop behind.</font>
What kind of things exactly do you want to do on the internet while using such a PC? Hopefully not shop or pay bills or check your accounts!

Unless you completely trust the hotel staff (the cleaning staff who change your towels, or is there someone else?) to check after each person's stay for spyware not having been installed on the computer (knowningly or unwittingly) by the guest previous to you.

You may know "safe computing" practices and follow them on your laptop (to whatever degree you feel is right for you), but do you really trust the previous guest to know/care not to open any old attachment when they're using "someone else's computer"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.