Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DIAMOND Upgrade Problems - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I was lurking on the Starwood board and saw they had multiple categories to express issues. I am a Hilton Diamond and would like to see how sucessful other diamonds are in getting upgraded accomendations.

Here is my list

Hilton Durham - NoUpgrade
Hilton Time Square - No Upgrade but given a nice view of the city

Reed

[This message has been edited by 777RJ (edited 03-22-2003).]
Old Mar 22, 2003, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you think you should be upgraded to a suite? The benefit only says to executive or towers room. If you get a suite you are lucky but it is not part of the upgrade benefit.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 5:01 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Baze is correct. SPG is the only program which regularly extends suite upgrades. Hyatt is a bit behind, but still comes through often times. Hilton rarely extends such upgrades, but one shouldn't expect them to begin with.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I edited the topic to post general upgrade problems at Hilton hotels. I have been to hotels over the past few months were I don't believe I was given the best available non-suite room. In fact at a recent stay, they didn't even have my guarenteed king bed.

RJ
Old Mar 22, 2003, 10:25 am

Hubby seems to get upgrades while on business, but we are not as lucky on vacation.
HHV upgraded, but very bad location
Paris Las Vegas upgraded to very nice suite
AMS didnt even get what we paid for!
HWV worse upgrade on a paid stay then another diamond staying same nights on free stay! (we had ocean view room, but on 1st floor, they got suite w/view)
Only time we ever had a suite was in Vegas
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:44 am

Upgraded on all stays, both paid and award, except once at Lake Buena Vista where Executive floor was closed for renovation.

marc
Old Mar 22, 2003, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
And don't forget that the Starwood threads on this were started by a Starwood representative.

As far as myself, I don't recall a stay in the past year where I didn't receive the gold or diamond benefit. Suites? 1. Lounge access and/or breakfast coupons, water, and so on, always.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
adgtravel, just FYI if the Diamond who got a good upgrade on a "free" stay was on a reward stay, then the upgrade was appropriate. Diamonds should receive benefits on a reward stay just like on a paid stay. It's unfortunate that your upgrade was not as good, but there's nothing inappropriate about the hotel treating a Diamond well if they're on a reward stay. It's part of the reason we hungrily gather up all those points.

(Edited because I remembered that we're talking about whether we got upgraded.) Under my definition of upgrade, which does not include expecting a suite, I have had generally good results getting a room I like if I am specific about what I want. At properties I visit a lot, I know which rooms have more room or a better view and I don't hesitate to ask for them. Often if I put specific room numbers in the comment section of my reservation I arrive to find that they have preassigned me one of the rooms I asked for.

If I don't ask for an upgrade in my reservation and at checkin (if needed) I'm less likely to get one.

[This message has been edited by Westcoaster (edited 03-22-2003).]
Old Mar 22, 2003, 8:59 pm

Westcoaster, I don't have a problem with Diamonds getting all benefits on an award stay, I think they should, and I love to get them myself! But it does bother me when we get treated worse on a paid stay than someone on an award stay. As I recall they were given two suites for their reward stay, we were put on 1st floor view of golf course. But we still had a great time! I think alot depends on the person who checks you in.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by adgtravel:
Westcoaster, I don't have a problem with Diamonds getting all benefits on an award stay, I think they should, and I love to get them myself! But it does bother me when we get treated worse on a paid stay than someone on an award stay. As I recall they were given two suites for their reward stay, we were put on 1st floor view of golf course. But we still had a great time! I think alot depends on the person who checks you in.</font>
Understood. It can indeed depend on who checks you in or on other factors -- what time you check in, any requests made before arrival or at checkin, whether you have a history of staying at that property (a DT I stay at a lot recently put me in a penthouse suite on a low rate), etc. The best upgrade I ever got was due to a chat I had when I called a (non-Hilton) hotel directly to make a reservation. The friendly lady I chatted with ended the call by saying she had assigned me to a room she thought I would like. Upgrades can come from all directions.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I like my upgrades just as much as the next HH member but I don't ever demand or expect them like I believe some people do. That doesn't mean I completely leave it up to chance either. I usually contact the hotel before my arrival and start a conversation. Always be polite and I think you will like the results. Received many a "presidential suite" this way.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 5:16 pm

i am diamond and you bet i expect to be upgraded....that should come with my loyalty...am believe me i am loyal...

this weekend was the best though...$53 in a washington suburb...plus concierge level...plus 2 full breakfast buffet plus a whole tin of cookies...plus it is part of the double, triple etc...

the dinner there was pretty poor though,...but the people were nice and courteous
Old Mar 23, 2003, 7:03 pm

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
As a Diamond I don't really care about upgrades on stays of a day or two. I do care for longer stays and those when I am traveling with spouse/family. As long as I get my "perks" as outlined in the HHonors guidelines I am not one to complain.

I am going to Cabo in a couple of weeks on a combo GLON/revenue stay and I will use every bit of salesmanship I have to receive a nice upgrade. We all deserve those on vacations!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 8:39 pm
SST

Can I suggest that we return to what the original poster's intention was here: that seemed to be to identify Hilton hotels where you aren't given an upgrade as Diamond.

I for one would like to know if there's some hotels that don't provide anything, often, to many people, because I will steer my stays away from them........

(Personally, the Hilton record is pretty good: I can't think of a single Hilton where I have repeatedly not been upgraded to the exec floor, or a nicer room. Sure, no upgrade when it appeared the hotel was full, but otherwise, normally, they're pretty good. And I don't seem to have problem getting lounge access when I'm not on the Exec Floor.)
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:48 pm

Programs: Gold on Continental; Diamond at Hilton & Hyatt
I guess I must be lucky or I've booked at a property when there is low occupancy. Or could it be I'm just a cute??

Personally I feel that the Hilton Brands are very good about upgrades, and its truely appreciated, although I DO NOT expect them, since I do not pay for them.

Below is my success rate, going back to (approx.)Mar. '02.

Edited to ADD: I probably have done so well thanks to my AMAZING ASSISTANT!! I just do as he instructs. So since it's aint broke....I won't complain!

Washington DC
Hilton Towers - Upgraded to Suite (5/5 Stays)
Capitol Hilton - Upgraded to Suite
Doubletree CC - Upgraded to Suite

Atlanta
Hilton Towers - Upgraded to Suite (6/6)
Doubletree BH - Upgraded to Suite
Embassy Suites CP - Upgraded to larger Exec.

Chicago
Palmer House - Upgraded to Suite
Hilton Chi - Upgraded to Suite (3/3)

Houston
Doubletree Allen - Upgraded to Suite (3/4)

Philly
Doubletree - Upgraded to Suite (2/3)

Los Angeles
Hilton Airport - Upgraded to Suite

Miami
Doubletree BB - Upgrade to Condo (??)
Hilton Airport - Upgraded to Suite

New Orleans
Hilton - Upgraded to Suite (3/3)
Doubletree - Upgraded to suite

Memphis
Hampton Inn - Upgraded to Suite(I think)

Dallas
Doubletree LC - Upgraded to Suite

San Francisco
Hilton Tower - Upgraded to Suite (2/2)

[This message has been edited by kcctravel (edited 03-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by kcctravel (edited 03-26-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.