Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Vienna, Austria {AUT}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: QR Gold, LH FTL, AB Silver, BA Silver, OK+Blue,PC Plat, SPG Plat, HH DIA, TK Gold (working on black)
Thumbs up Hilton DANUBE is Award Categorie 1

Originally Posted by marcydarcy
Hi all,

staying in Vienna with my wife for a weekend in about 3 weeks. Never been there and i wonder which of the 3 Hilton Hotels i should choose ?

Any suggestions ?

thanks, marcydarcy
As was said before, the others may be a bit nicer but especially when using points the Danube is excellent value.

I was there on an AWARD stay last month and received Upgrade, Full Breakfast for two, a bottle of bubbly and some fruits and chocolates.
All for 10,000 points a night. Great value!!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I have used all three. Some days, the Danube can be as expensive as the Plaza, so I usually check the rates for all three, and I have sometimes been uograded to nicer rooms at the Plaza than at the Stadtpark.
Indeed the Danube Hilton is more price elastic, partly because of the close proximity to the fair grounds.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I just booked the Vienna Hilton Stadtpark & was surprised to learn it was a Category 3. I figured it would be higher post-renovation.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 11:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Stayed at the Vienna Plaza in May. Overall it was a positive experience--got a decent sized room on non-executive level, but full access to lounge and IIRC some fruit or wine. The food in the lounge was good (not great). The lounge itself is nice, but a bit small.

While not in the center of town, we easily walked almost everywhere from the hotel.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just booked the Vienna Hilton Stadtpark & was surprised to learn it was a Category 3. I figured it would be higher post-renovation.
I doubt it will stay Cat 3 for long, especially as Vienna Plaza is Cat 4. It's a real bargain at 25.000 points/night. Had 4 award stays there already this year. Unbeatable location regarding airport transportation and city access. Only downside: The gym is a disgrace, even worse than the other two Vienna Hiltons. But there are very few hotels in Vienna with decent gyms. The Bristol (Starwood) is one of them.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:59 am

Smallish rooms at Vienna Danube?

Originally Posted by Notenut
Although the Danube is a little removed from downtown, they have a shuttle that drops you off in front of the Stadtpark Hilton. You can also hop on a tram, the nearest stop is about 3 blocks away (that particular line goes right by Prater park) and you can buy metro passes at the hotel's gift shop. The rooms are smallish , but the breakfast buffet at the restaurant (there is no executive lounge) is quite diverse. During our 4 night stay there last year we saw several bus tour groups come through. A nice feature for diamonds is that you can pick up or drop off a Sixt rental there at no additional charge. (We picked ours up at the Vienna airport, used it for a trip through Hungary, and dropped it off when we arrived at the Danbue Hilton when we began our stay).
The Stadtpark is much more elegant, but also much more $$$.

I am surprised to hear the rooms at the Vienna Danube described as "smallish" since its web page states that its rooms are the largest hotel rooms in Vienna. I am booked to stay there at the end of November, so I'll have a chance to see for myself. Of course, after some of the rooms I've stayed in in London, my idea of "smallish" may be different from yours!
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, they are far larger than the Executive rooms at the Hilton Stadtpark , and yes, they are quite large by European standards, IMHO.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Well, they are far larger than the Executive rooms at the Hilton Stadtpark , and yes, they are quite large by European standards, IMHO.
Stayed multiple times at both locations and agree a 100 % with Jouy31 !
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
All my events are in the Ring area & some will go quite late at night, so I'll stick w/ the Stadtpark as it's the most convenient (and the park is there for running if the health club sucks). Hmm, should probably cash in the points if we think it's going to change categories. Normally I don't do that until just before the trip. Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:04 am
Suspended

AFAIR HHonors has certain rules that prohibit new hotels or hotels that were closed for a certain time to have any award category they want to have, I think it was the same with Hilton Athens as well, which was also closed for renovation and started awfully cheap points wise.

The Stadtpark one is the biggest property in Austria and IMO the Danube one is already filling its rooms smartly by letting people burn their points , so I agree that the Stadtpark Hilton will become more expensive, but since it is comparable with the Plaza when it comes to the average room rate, I doubt that it will be higher than a Cat 4
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: Everyone!
I just stayed at the Hilton Vienna (Stadtpark) this last weekend as a Diamond member on a 165 EUR "Highlights of Vienna" package booked on the Hilton site.......

GOOD:

1) LOCATION - walking distance to most major attractions, and being accross the street means you can take the subway to anywhere else you don't want to walk. In addition, the direct 16 minute CAT train (you can check-in with your bags and get your ticket at the train!!) directly to the station from the airport is VERY convenient. You can save 1 EUR by booking and printing your ticket on-line in advance.
2) RENNOVATION - this is a new, stylish hotel. It looks and feels like a new property.

BAD:

1) NO STATUS RECOGNITION - only mention of my status was that I couldn't receive an upgrade because there were no rooms available (I did hear it was sold-out). No offer to access the lounge, no welcome gift like other properties in Europe, and no real recognition. It was a busy place there this weekend though, to be fair - in fact, the computers were down for 30 minutes when I arrived and they couldn't even check anyone in.
2) MISLEADING PACKAGES - I bought a package that they advertise (see Hotel Specials on the hotel's page) as "Discover the beauty of Vienna with Hilton With "Hop on Hop off" tour you have freedom to create your own experience of the famous sites of Vienna." Now, I imagine exploring the famous sites at my freedom to take place over the course of my stay. So, imagine my surprise when I found that my "Hop On Hop Off" tour would last 60 minutes total on the day of my choosing. Not doing much "hopping on" or "hopping off" in 60 minutes!!!
3) SMALL BATHROOMS - this has been mentioned by others and is true. They are very nice and modern, but also very small - I could almost reach the sink from the bathtub.
4) DECEPTIVE INTERNET PACKAGES - call me naive, but I have usually had to give a credit card number or agree to accept charges when using the Internet at any other hotel in the world. Not here. I plugged in for a few minutes to see if the connection was active (no "propaganda" on the desk), and was pleasantly surprised to find the connection was already on and I was already surfing. Upon check-out, I was notified that they charge either by the half-hour or for a full 24 hours, and there is no notification or warning - it starts the minute you plug in, and that is it.

So, that's my feedback. I wouldn't necessarily avoid this place, but I sure wish I had known some of the drawbacks ahead of time too.

Last edited by PGHflyer; Sep 28, 2005 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: hilton-Diamond, ba, Cunard-Platinum
Which hotel?

Originally Posted by jkzahn
I just stayed there this last weekend as a Diamond member on a 165 EUR "Highlights of Vienna" package booked on the Hilton site.......

GOOD:

1) LOCATION - walking distance to most major attractions, and being accross the street means you can take the subway to anywhere else you don't want to walk. In addition, the direct 16 minute CAT train (you can check-in with your bags and get your ticket at the train!!) directly to the station from the airport is VERY convenient. You can save 1 EUR by booking and printing your ticket on-line in advance.
2) RENNOVATION - this is a new, stylish hotel. It looks and feels like a new property.

BAD:

1) NO STATUS RECOGNITION - only mention of my status was that I couldn't receive an upgrade because there were no rooms available (I did hear it was sold-out). No offer to access the lounge, no welcome gift like other properties in Europe, and no real recognition. It was a busy place there this weekend though, to be fair - in fact, the computers were down for 30 minutes when I arrived and they couldn't even check anyone in.
2) MISLEADING PACKAGES - I bought a package that they advertise (see Hotel Specials on the hotel's page) as "Discover the beauty of Vienna with Hilton With "Hop on Hop off" tour you have freedom to create your own experience of the famous sites of Vienna." Now, I imagine exploring the famous sites at my freedom to take place over the course of my stay. So, imagine my surprise when I found that my "Hop On Hop Off" tour would last 60 minutes total on the day of my choosing. Not doing much "hopping on" or "hopping off" in 60 minutes!!!
3) SMALL BATHROOMS - this has been mentioned by others and is true. They are very nice and modern, but also very small - I could almost reach the sink from the bathtub.
4) DECEPTIVE INTERNET PACKAGES - call me naive, but I have usually had to give a credit card number or agree to accept charges when using the Internet at any other hotel in the world. Not here. I plugged in for a few minutes to see if the connection was active (no "propaganda" on the desk), and was pleasantly surprised to find the connection was already on and I was already surfing. Upon check-out, I was notified that they charge either by the half-hour or for a full 24 hours, and there is no notification or warning - it starts the minute you plug in, and that is it.

So, that's my feedback. I wouldn't necessarily avoid this place, but I sure wish I had known some of the drawbacks ahead of time too.

To clear things up, which Vienna Hilton was this?
Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:53 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Stadtpark.

Unless I am mistaken, check-in at the railway station is possible only for * Alliance flights.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:32 am
Suspended

Stadtpark.

Unless I am mistaken, check-in at the railway station is possible only for * Alliance flights.
That is not correct.

Possible for most airlines, except nonstop flights to the US, which are only on OS anyway...
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Threy
That is not correct.

Possible for most airlines, except nonstop flights to the US, which are only on OS anyway...
I stand corrected. According to the CAT web site , in addition to Star Alliance carriers, you can check-in with
- Adria
- Air Berlin
- Blue 1
- China Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Niki

As I usually fly with AF and BA to/from VIE, I am out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.