Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Lyon {FRA} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Lyon {FRA} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks Flyertalk! I not only enjoyed this Hilton, I took Mr Swise's advise and tried Leon de Lyon. It was a pretty amazing dining experience. Best pigeon I ever had! Clinton, Chirac, Prodi, etc. eat there. My boss told me to take the GF out for a nice French meal on the company. Wait til he sees the bill!

At the Hilton, I was just driving by and I was tired and said "what the heck, use points and spend a night in Lyon". So I went to the front desk and asked if they had any rooms. They said it was quite busy, but yes they had rooms. Then I said I wanted to use points. So they put me on the phone with UK reservations and they said the hotel was full. I said I'm standing at the front desk and they say they have a room for me. The bureaucracy between Hilton reservations and the hotel took nearly an hour to clear up, but I finally got room 801 just outside the very fine Executive Club.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 5:51 pm
Community Director Emerita

Lyon has two train stations. Which is the closest one to the hotel?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Part-Dieu which is where most ( but not all) of TGVs stop at ( the distance from Gare de Peracche is at least double that or more)
It seems the taxi took no more than 10 mins to the hotel.

Enjoy Lyon, city also has one of the better subways in Europe but its a bit of a walk from the nearest subway station but its quite a nice one along the banks of the Rhone.

mike
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:22 pm

Thanks, Mike. That's very helpful.

OT: I wish that Hilton would understand that many guests arrive by train or subway at their hotels. Every hotel gives directions assuming you'll arrive by car - and I doubt very much that's the case in NYC, London, or many of the European properties.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 1:37 am

I know this hotel (having stayed there twice for an international convention) and I'll be staying there next week again.

If you get to Lyon by train, stop at Part-Dieu station and take a cab (5/10 mn drive).

Rooms are rather nice, buffet breakfast is excellent.
I know they have a great Thai restaurant but I never tried it.

Only drawback : a bit far away from the city center but next to the convention center "Palais des Congrès".

If someone requires some info about restaurants in Lyon, don't hesitate. I know this town!
Old Apr 18, 2005, 4:04 am

Just back from the Hilton Lyon.

Due to a large international forum on Life Sciences taking place in Lyon last week, the hotel capacity in Lyon was fully booked with 4,500 visitors…

Lucky ones who booked well in advance were able to stay at the Hilton Lyon next to the Congress Center.

Husband had checked in on the Sunday and got bumped to the Executive floor.
I sneaked in on the Wednesday evening and here is my report.

The hotel is rather modern and is located on the Rhone river, next to the city park “La Tête d’Or”. A short taxi ride (10 mn) is required to go downtown.

Room was of a decent size and with all required amenities (toiletries, bathrobe, slippers, etc..). Turndown service every evening around 6/7 PM.

I was a bit annoyed however to notice stains/scratches on paper wall and remains of a water leak certainly originating from the A/C. It looks like some room re-decoration will soon be needed…

One surprising point is that there is a little note on the bed upon arrival telling you that bed linens will only be changed every 3 days… for ecological reasons. Although I clearly understand the “ecology” point, it sounds a bit… exagerated for a 4 star hotel charging rack rates (360/440 Euros minimum) during a convention...

I will add my two cents by saying… they could warn in advance when making the booking and offer a minor discount or bonus/perk for those willing to help reducing pollution…

The same piece of information was also available for towels, but you had more the choice (leave them on the rack or put them in the bath).

Each room has a balcony, completely covered with glass windows. Unfortunately this (exterior) part of the room was not clean at all (floor and glasses). Looked like it had not been cleaned for the last three months…

Service was good and very professional (and friendly) throughout the hotel (Executive lounge, bar, reception, laundry service, restaurants, bell boys).

The Executive Lounge has a nice view over the Rhône river. Good breakfast choice with wonderful expresso coffee of various origins. For those who don’t like expresso coffee, don’t worry! There is regular (American style) coffee available !

Husband did try the evening drink service and found it OK. Nice canapés were also available.

We had dinner at the Blue Elephant restaurant (Royal Thai cuisine) and chose the Songkhran special menu (Thai New’s Year). It was excellent, and service as well.
Efficient, professional and smiling.

They also have a Brasserie serving French and Lyon’s specialities. We did not try it, but when having breakfast at the place, they were receiving many phone calls from local people booking for the evening. So this means the place is not bad at all, as the restaurant competition among Lyon’s restaurants is very tough.

To sum up : this is a good business hotel, maybe one of the best in the Lyon area.
Service is very good, which is not always the case in France….
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Joelle
One surprising point is that there is a little note on the bed upon arrival telling you that bed linens will only be changed every 3 days… for ecological reasons. Although I clearly understand the “ecology” point, it sounds a bit… exagerated for a 4 star hotel charging rack rates (360/440 Euros minimum) during a convention...

This is standard practice in every hilton hotel I have stayed in. I just stayed in the Millenium Hilton NYC and that was the case as well. However, according to the note, you could leave the note on the bed each morning if you prefered that the sheets be changed daily. Are you sure it didnt say that?

Thanks for the good review. Interesting to hear about one of the less frequented hotels.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:53 am

[QUOTE=MorganB]This is standard practice in every hilton hotel I have stayed in. I just stayed in the Millenium Hilton NYC and that was the case as well. However, according to the note, you could leave the note on the bed each morning if you prefered that the sheets be changed daily. Are you sure it didnt say that?[QUOTE]

I know this is a standard practice in many hotels, but we did not get this "three day basis" announcement for the bed sheets in other Hilton hotels we stayed at (recentaly - e.g. summer and fall 2004).

And my husband, leaving at 7 in the morning and coming back to the hotel around midnight, moaned about this but did not take the time to leave the note on the bed....
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Joelle

And my husband, leaving at 7 in the morning and coming back to the hotel around midnight, moaned about this but did not take the time to leave the note on the bed....
I guess he moaned for few seconds, then when he saw you, he stopped moaning...
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Super Larry
I guess he moaned for few seconds, then when he saw you, he stopped moaning...

Good guess my dear !!!! ^
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:45 am

Thanks, Joelle, for an excellent report. Now I know what to expect when I arrive this week.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:47 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Shame to hear that cleanliness standards have dropped. I was there a few years ago and the place was spotless.

It is possible to walk to the town, takes about an hour, but along the river so very pleasant. You need to cross the river to get to the old town, lovely church at the top of the hill. They are big on Joan of Arc in this church (probably one of the prettiest I've seen), and quite different inside - lots of tapestries dipicting her life.

Taxi from the airport was horrendous as I remember, but I couldn't see any obvious alternative.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:11 am

The place was "clean", but some refurbishing (decoration) would help...
This is true it used to be spotless a few years ago as it was brand new, but now the age is showing a bit...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
I get to go every two years for work and I like Lyon and I like the Hilton there.

I've eaten in the Brasserie several times and it is very good, but you'll find better for less in the Old Town section of Lyon.

Do they still have Bvlgari toiletries?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:43 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
My sister and I stayed here a total of 3 nights in 2001 as part of our grand France trip as a intermediary point between Paris and the Cote D'Azur. We stayed at the Cour des Loges on the way to Cannes but on the return we stayed at the Hilton Lyon for one night, then one night at the Chateau de Bagnols, and then again for 2 nights.

The hotel was clean and as a Silver Hhonors member they upgraded us to the Executive floor room (river view) the first night and then to an Executive Studio (Tete d'Or view) the last 2 nights. The Thai restaurant was excellent, perhaps moreso, after 3 weeks of eating western food, with several Michelin quality restaurants interspersed. For orientals such as us, oriental food was just SO welcome!!

That being said, the brasserie downstairs, an outpost of the Leon de Bruxelles (I think it was) was horrendous.

Rooms were spotless and service was good. The Executive Lounge Manager was extremely friendly and helpful and the Lounge offered a very good breakfast and all day snacks and drinks. The hotel also had a whirlpool overlooking the river in the health club, with sauna and hammam, which was great to use after long days tirelessly walking around Lyon.

Just strolling up and down Rue de la Republique and Rue President Herriot from the Place Bellecour was fascinating, as well as strolling the Old Part of the town, up to Fourviere with panoramic views of the city.....

Ah, the memories....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.