Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Galveston Island Resort {US-TX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Galveston Island Resort {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2002, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Galveston Island Resort {US-TX}

We are taking a cruise from Galveston in a few weeks, and I am trying to decide between a free stay at the Hilton or paying for a room at the Tremont or the Galvez. Has anyone stayed at the Hilton lately? How was it? By the way I am Gold. I notice that you can book an Executive floor room, is it worth the additional cost? Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL, US
I stayed here in August. The place is ok. As a gold, I received an upgrade to the 6th Executive Floor and drink coupons. There is no lounge. Breakfast is a table set up by the elevators. The employees kept taking food and drinks from the table so come early if you want anything. Service is adequate.
There are two elevators but one was out of service causing long waits.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 4:30 pm

Have stayed (somewhat) at the Hilton. Got called out about 2 hr after check-in. Hotel is okay, treated us well. Recived drink tickets at check-in for wine as I recall. Nice place, but not a "resort" in my opinion. Beachfront.

The Tremont is pretty nice also. Stayed there ona priceline stay for about $45. A historic hotel with hard wood floors, 14' ceilings and towel warmers in the bathroom. Nice big robes too. No pool at this hotel but you have use of the Galvez facilities. Not near the beach.

The Galvez is a sister hotel to the Tremont. Have only been in the lobby and pool area there. Beachfront.

Enjoy the stay.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Question Hilton Galveston Island Resort

The search function only finds this hotel in a couple of "lists of Hilton properties" so I'll request some info here.

Has anyone any comments about this Hilton?

If I'm flying to Houston, is there a better option for someone working out on the tip of the island?

Much thanks,

Commander Bob
Old Feb 20, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I stayed here about two years ago, thought I can't provide many comments because I didn't arrive until around 2AM and left around 10AM the next morning. The hotel does provide complimentary parking if you are going on a cruise out of Galveston and they will drop you off at the port and pick you up which is nice.

Otherwise everything seemed nice for the most part. I had breakfast the next morning and was given coupons as diamond.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Did a one night stay at this property Christmas week. The hotel consists of two buildings: an older mid-rise "motor inn" style building perpindicular to the beach and main street (Seawall Blvd.) and a newer high-rise hotel style building parallel to the beach and Seawall.

I first took the wrong elevator and went down a corridor in the old building by accident (signage is pretty bad in terms of which rooms are in which building) and it seemed dingy and smoky. The room I was actually assigned to though was in the new building. Room was very comfortable. Had the new Hilton beds, sort of a beachy decor, relatively large bathroom, felt very newly renovated. If you get a room high enough up in the new building you will have a decent Gulf view but remember that the hotel's front parking lot and Seawall Blvd. are between you and the beach. View down the beach to the southwest is mostly blocked by the hotel's old building. None of the new tower rooms have balconies and I don't think the window opened.

I needed a room with 2 beds so I couldn't see if they upgrade Diamonds to suites. I was very happy with my room though. Was provided vouchers for a continental breakfast (very basic, sit-down, not buffet style) in the coffee shop on the ground level; could have upgraded to a regular breakfast for the difference in price.

Parking is free and plentiful (uncovered, but I think you can use the convention center garage next door).

For a restaurant suggestion, I recommend Gaido's about 1 mile back towards downtown Galveston on Seawall. Gaido's is a total throwback (in a good way) to a beachy seafood house of the 1950s; simple but excellent seafood in large portions.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:07 pm

I like it

I've stayed there every few years and have seen it improve along the way. The same group owns the Hilton and really nice San Luis next door. You can work out at San Luis and charge to your room. Our breakfast coupons were good for breakfast menu at sitdown restaurant. Note - Galveston water is kind of funky and we never got Diamond water..
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:40 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I stayed here w/ my family summer, 2004, and enjoyed the place. Pool complex was a little small for the crowd those days, but still adequate (small circular "lazy river" style w/ swim-up bar).

One of the previous posters is correct...this property is an "L" shape...the older part rooms are actually nice and very comfortable (not extravagent), but the deeper into the lot your room is the poorer the angle to see the ocean so the ocean is poor to non-existent. I'll try to diagram for kicks:

Best rooms are 5-8 rooms closest to the street in front (the seawall blvd) in the older section, or facing the ocean in the short, newer wing that's perpendicular to the ocean.

I was gold and did get breakfast coupons, and the breakfast was fine and arguably excellent.

All in all would I stay ? if using hh points was a goal, I would definitely stay here again. If I were spending money anyway, I would go upscale and stay next door at the San Luis without question. A classic example of if the Hilton had upgraded my family into a room more than "basic" I would probably stay there again, but lacking a confirmed upgrade, I would opt to pay out of pocket and stay next door.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Feb 20, 2006 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Been there off and on a few times in recent years. It's not a bad place at all. The rooms are nice in the "tower" section, as mentioned, and the service has always been good. Charging to the rooms at the whole San Luis complex is a great convenience. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I like the area..

The Hotel was integrated into the Convention Center which opened a couple of years ago and on the other side there is a recreation area for kids/teenagers with some rides and a Rain Forest cafe, also a Landry's seafood. You can also walk accross the street to the seawall and beach.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platnum, Avis Prefered Select, AMEX PLAT, National Exec Emerald
Thumbs down Hilton Galveston Island Resort

Just spent two nights at this so called "Full Service" Hilton. As a diamond I expected treatment and all I got was grief. They put me in a room with no balcony, when I booked a room with a balcony. The staff was not happy when I asked for a change. The pool area was nice but the rooms were old and out of date. No diamond gift in the room when I arrived nor a call asking how my stay was. The elevators need work and it is easier to take the stairs. The bartenders are horrible and the whole experince reminded me of the Grizwalds vacation. To top off my experience the shower rod fell off the wall as I was showering this morning. Will NEVER be going back to this Hilton, and if this is what Hilton thinks is how you treat a diamond maybe it is time for me to strictly use marriot.
Old May 1, 2006, 12:43 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I think that it is owned by Landry's Restaurants, which owns the worst chain food establishments in the history of the world. The owner, Tillman Fertitta, just bought the Golden Nuggett in Las Vegas, so that property is going down hill as well.
Old May 1, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The rooms with no balcony are in the new tower. They actually consider it an upgrade to be in those rooms. I was at this hotel last week and had a room on one of the top floors in the new tower. The views are decent. They gave me the free continental breakfast coupon for two people. It doesn't have the Hilton feel though. The free shuttle service is nice. I paid $119 a night ,so for that price I was satisfied.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt, HH, IHG, SPG, AA, WN
After June 1 this hotel goes from Category 3 to 5. Does not sound like it is worth it.
Old May 2, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Unhappy

Yikes!

I was intending to stay there during some upcoming work in Galveston -now I'm bummed by the bad reviews.

Can anyone suggest an alternative Hilton family property on the island?

Commander Bob
Infrequent visitor to Texas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.