Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis {US-TN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Memphis {US-TN}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:46 pm

Memphis Doubletree Review

I'm staying at the Memphis DT tonight and I'm not impressed. When I checked in I asked if they had any suites available for upgrades. They said they don't comp any suites and if I wanted one, I would have to pay the price for them. Not this guy. So I asked for my room on the Executive Floor. Well it seems this week they are upgrading the roof and this caused them to have "NO" Executive rooms available. I could still use the lounge upstairs but could not stay in one of the rooms. I said how can they sell rooms that could not be given out? They gave me a regular room and it's not that impressive at all.

I will be talking to the manager about this in the morning because they were already gone for the night. I will also be checking out and going to another property that will give me what I pay for.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hi all,

I completed my stay on Sunday and I enjoyed it and was upgraded to Exec. floor. You do not ask for a suite, but if you ask for an executive floor room, they most likely will give it to you.....btw the breakfast at Cal's was good and so was the dinner, but the dinner as usual was expensive. Corky's BBQ was very good, Thanks to a previous poster when I posted this before. Also, I can't believe that anyone would gripe at a rate that is $109, if booked on Hilton/Doubletree website or a $25-55 rate if lucky on priceline.

Last edited by jwhuffman; Apr 13, 2004 at 9:32 am
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by jwhuffman
Hi all,

I can't believe that anyone would gripe at a rate that is $109, if booked on Hilton/Doubletree website or a $25-55 rate if lucky on priceline.
I can get a $109 rate at both ES and HI suites just down the street. I would pay this rate for a suite over the regular room at this DT any time.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 3:50 pm
DAL

I'd like to hear about Hilton's Park Vista down the street...

Hilton bought the old round hotel right on the interstate back east of this Doubletree (this was a Hilton a few months ago) on Poplar. They were supposed to invest $15M in renovations, which was evidently sorely needed, hence the sell I'm sure. I stayed there about 20 yrs (dang) ago when it was some other chain, maybe Hyatt?, and it seemed nice then.

So NCRBill, if you move down to the Park Vista, let us know if it's any better in your opinion.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if this is the same property...

Originally Posted by DAL
Hilton bought the old round hotel right on the interstate back east of this Doubletree (this was a Hilton a few months ago) on Poplar. They were supposed to invest $15M in renovations, which was evidently sorely needed, hence the sell I'm sure. I stayed there about 20 yrs (dang) ago when it was some other chain, maybe Hyatt?, and it seemed nice then.

So NCRBill, if you move down to the Park Vista, let us know if it's any better in your opinion.
but the one your talking about has a red Hilton sign on it right off the freeway, about 22 floors tall. They are also doing a upgrade of the property as we speek. The top 8 floors are being upgraded and this is where all the suites and executive levels are. I called them first when I got here and they didn't have any rooms either that I could move to. It seems they are all doing the upgrades on the rooms at the same time. Not sure if this is the Park Vista. I thought the Park Vista was just purchased and is in downtown??
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:47 am

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum (Former EXP, CK) 6MM, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thumbs up Park Vista becomes Memphis Hilton

Originally Posted by NCRBILL
but the one your talking about has a red Hilton sign on it right off the freeway, about 22 floors tall. They are also doing a upgrade of the property as we speek. The top 8 floors are being upgraded and this is where all the suites and executive levels are. I called them first when I got here and they didn't have any rooms either that I could move to. It seems they are all doing the upgrades on the rooms at the same time. Not sure if this is the Park Vista. I thought the Park Vista was just purchased and is in downtown??
I have stayed at the Park Vista (Memphis Hilton) 3 times this year with the most recent stay on 3/31. The hotel was originally a Hyatt Regency (hence the roundness) and later became the "Adams Mark" hotel. It was purchased last year by a local group that was purported to spend $15M to renovate and refurbish. They have subsequently signed a franchise agreement with Hilton.

The Hilton sign is on the building however it was not lit whan I was there as the hotel did not officially become a hilton until 4/4. I have been in the renovated rooms and they are very nice. The parking is still a bit of a challenge due to the construction but not unbearable. As a Diamond member I was given a continental breakfast in the restaurant as the executive lounge was not yet open. I did receive HH points for all my stays this year, although I did need to contact CS to get the stays posted.

I travel to Memphis approx. 10 - 15 days per year and will be staying here as the location is well suited to my business needs not to mention a Ruths Chris, PF Changs, Macaroni Grill and a local spot "Folks Folly" all within an easy 2 - 5 minute drive.

Cheers!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:05 am

Memphis Doubletree - Sanderlin

Anyone stayed at Memphis Doubletree on Sanderlin Avenue? This by far THE WORST hotel.

To begin with

1) Dirty Towels
2) STained bedsheets
3) Dirty Bathrooms
4) Assignment of rooms while the room is occupied
5) Stench on Mold from Bathroom curtains...

We have hit a wall trying to get better service.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage (PLT :(, 2MM), HHonors (Silver), Hertz (5 Star), Marriott (Silver)
to provide another opinion - I had a nice comfortable room, great check-in staff and lounge staff. Didnt notice any smell or dirt. Maybe you just encountered a Cluster? or maybe in the 9 months since I last stayed there things went down-hill ...

Sorry to hear about your problems ... depending on your status maybe you should complain to the HH diamond desk or customer service ...
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by getmaxpoints
Anyone stayed at Memphis Doubletree on Sanderlin Avenue?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=sanderlin
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=sanderlin
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Memphis Doubletree - East

Hey folks... I'm staying at the Memphis Doubletree - East (5069 Sanderlin Ave) next weekend for the Liberty Bowl. I've done some research but most of the reviews and comments about this property are a few years old. Has anybody been to this property in the past few months? Looks like a rather average property. Specifically looking for information on:
1) Room Cleanliness
2) Noise levels
3) Airport shuttle - how long did it take for them to come get you?
4) Time it takes to get downtown to Beale Street, where the fun will be.
5) Any general comments that an informed traveler should know.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:16 pm
DAL

DH stayed at this hotel about 3 yrs ago when it was still the Memphis Hilton - have you read the comments on tripadvisor? If you won this on PL, great for you! If you're payin' and the city's not sold-out, I prefer the Hilton about .5 mile east.

Eat breakfast at the nearby Blueplate Cafe on Poplar - great food! Check it out on tripadvisor also.

My husband loves Texas DE Brazil for dinner and we both like Grisanti's also. We don't do Rendezvous, if you must do bbq, do something else! Corky's used to have a place in the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
I thought I would follow up to my original post seeking details of this, with my findings. Granted, I just checked in about 2 hours ago, but here are my initial thoughts:
1) Free shuttle service to the airport. They have 2 shuttles. At rush hour two days after Christmas, it took about 15 minutes to get from the airport to the hotel. I called at 4:40pm and they said the shuttle would be there in 20-25 mins. It was exactly 20 mins. ^

2) Checking in. No line, but they screwed up the reservation. We had confirmed a two-bed, non-smoking room. Instead all they could offer was a King bed, non-smoking with a potential for a rollaway. They said all the two-beds were gone already due to the Liberty Bowl, which is why I was there. I like my buddy, but don't care to sleep with him.

They also screwed up the rate. I confirmed $107.10 per night, but they had $160.10 per night.

3) Room Cleanliness: Seems fairly clean and modern. Sheets look clean, everything in the bathroom is in order and no real complaints. We'll see how things go overnight and how quiet the hotel actually is.

4) Wi-Fi: Easy to access and speed looks good. ^ You need a code from the front desk. Current code is "resolve".

5) Location: It took us about 20 minutes to drive downtown, straight down Poplar. Dinner at Rendezvous, though the people at the front desk didn't give very good directions, nor were they interested in trying to help us. There's a Kroger around the corner, so I stopped to get a bottle of water and some softer tissues (a little under the weather). There are refrigerators in the room, so I'll make use of that to keep things chilled.

That's it. Maybe I'll do a follow up posting once I've checked out.

Last edited by 206013671; Dec 27, 2007 at 10:33 pm Reason: Didn't finish the posting and had to go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.