Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Grand Vacations Club- experiences, questions, worth it?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Grand Vacations Club- experiences, questions, worth it?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: AA-Plt/Lifetime Gold;Marriott-Plt Prem;Hilton-Dia;Hertz-Pres Cir
Hilton Grand Vacations Club points Stay Has Not Posted to Hilton Honors Account

Has anyone else seen a delay in your stay posting to your HH account?? It's been 2 weeks since checkout and still stay hasn't posted to account.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: NWA, Spirit, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by shanj33
Has anyone else seen a delay in your stay posting to your HH account?? It's been 2 weeks since checkout and still stay hasn't posted to account.
Presuming you rented at the HGVC as a hotel room you should get your credit, eventually. They can take a while from past experience. On the plus side I got credited with a 20+ night stay after one 4 night stay in Vegas. It took about a month to post, apparently they were waiting for the next guy(s) to check out.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:12 am

Hilton Grand Vacations Club® Newbie question

Iam looking to buy a 7000 point 2/2 platinum package from hilton in the las vegas area.The price is the same for the resort in flamingo and the newer hilton resort on the strip.Which one is better to buy.Any advise is really aprreciated
Old Jul 30, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
I haven't stayed at the one in the Flamingo but I have new one on the strip. The new has nice rooms but unless they added restaurants when they built the new tower there is only a deli/grocery store in the basement. The location is also not that great right now, it is at the end of the strip and to get to the monorail you have to walk to the Sahara or the LV Hilton. The walk isn't that far but the areas you walk through are mostly construction right now and not lit very well at night.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by oosillyoo
I haven't stayed at the one in the Flamingo but I have new one on the strip. The new has nice rooms but unless they added restaurants when they built the new tower there is only a deli/grocery store in the basement. The location is also not that great right now, it is at the end of the strip and to get to the monorail you have to walk to the Sahara or the LV Hilton. The walk isn't that far but the areas you walk through are mostly construction right now and not lit very well at night.
Thanks for the reply.Do you currently own any hilton timeshare.Do you have any advise for me if i want to buy something on the resale market.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rajesh79
Thanks for the reply.Do you currently own any hilton timeshare.Do you have any advise for me if i want to buy something on the resale market.
You should be able to get a better price on a Flamingo week. Hilton has ROFR (Right of First Refusal) on private sales at the two newer Vegas locations so they can nix a sale to you and buy the unit themselves if they think the sales price is too low. There is no ROFR at Flamingo so most likely you can get a better buy there from a motivated seller...

Since you can use your HGVC points at any location, it doesn't matter which location you buy at. You can stay at eithetr of the other two if you want.

HGVC Flamingo had a $200+ Special Assessment which will be used for granite countertops & cherry cabinets, so it will look similar to the Strip HGVC when they're done with the renovation..
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Like GeorgeJ said, it doesn't matter where you buy; the points can be used in any location. Go over to tug2.net, the FlyerTalk for timeshare owners. You'll find all kinds of help, including the overwhelming advice to buy resale. One advantage of buying resale with Hilton is that there is no distinction made between resale and buying from the developer unless you want elite status, which isn't worth the extra cost. There's a classified ad area, where you'll find better bargains than buying from Hilton.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion

I don't own a Hilton timeshare but have listened to the program information and would consider it when I don't travel anymore for work. I have trouble using all my Hilton points as it is.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 2:23 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by linsj
Like GeorgeJ said, it doesn't matter where you buy; the points can be used in any location. Go over to tug2.net, the FlyerTalk for timeshare owners. You'll find all kinds of help, including the overwhelming advice to buy resale. One advantage of buying resale with Hilton is that there is no distinction made between resale and buying from the developer unless you want elite status, which isn't worth the extra cost. There's a classified ad area, where you'll find better bargains than buying from Hilton.

I disagree with this point, Elite Status gives you lifetime Gold Hhonors as well as access to Elite only resorts. It's 14,000 HGVC points.

I own at Hawaii and Las Vegas although where you own is almost irrelevent (unless you plan to return to the same place year after year - some do!). You should go for the cheapest in terms of purchase price, taxes and on-going maintenance charges. Any HGVC points you don't use, just transfer to Hhonors which with the given Gold status is a great benefit.

Last edited by Travel The World; Aug 2, 2007 at 3:43 am
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:31 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by Travel The World
I disagree with this point, Elite Status gives you lifetime Gold Hhonors as well as access to Elite only resorts. It's 14,000 HGVC points.

I own at Hawaii and Las Vegas although where you own is almost irrelevent (unless you plan to return to the same place year after year - some do!). You should go for the cheapest in terms of purchase price, taxes and on-going maintenance charges. Any HGVC points you don't use, just transfer to Hhonors which with the given Gold status is a great benefit.
I agree; I like my HGVC Elite too.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:28 pm

is it easy to trade?

I just got a week in Carlsbad, CA at Grand Pacific Palisades HGVC 6200 pts. The sales pitch was that I can trade my week in Carlsbad for a week in Hawaii, since I have no desire to stay in Carlsbad at all, ever. I don't have kids so I have no desire to go to Legoland and I live next door to Disneyland. But the sales ppl said I should buy in Carlsbad because it's cheaper, and that I could trade it for Hawaii every year if I wanted to.

Anyways, how easy is it to get a week in Hawaii with my points? It seems it would be difficult since I would think many people would want to vacation in Hawaii. The sales person said that I only think that cuz I live in socal and that just as many ppl want to vacation in Carlsbad and elsewhere. Also, how easy is it to book something in RCI? All this seems too good to be true and I still have time to cancel. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:03 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by doug7as
I just got a week in Carlsbad, CA at Grand Pacific Palisades HGVC 6200 pts. The sales pitch was that I can trade my week in Carlsbad for a week in Hawaii, since I have no desire to stay in Carlsbad at all, ever. I don't have kids so I have no desire to go to Legoland and I live next door to Disneyland. But the sales ppl said I should buy in Carlsbad because it's cheaper, and that I could trade it for Hawaii every year if I wanted to.

Anyways, how easy is it to get a week in Hawaii with my points? It seems it would be difficult since I would think many people would want to vacation in Hawaii. The sales person said that I only think that cuz I live in socal and that just as many ppl want to vacation in Carlsbad and elsewhere. Also, how easy is it to book something in RCI? All this seems too good to be true and I still have time to cancel. Thanks!
The way that HGVC is set up, this is totally true. It makes no difference where you own, what you're buying are really the points. The only exception is if you only want to go to one place, at the same time, every year... and that one week is an exceptional use period (like Las Vegas on New Year's eve, Breckenridge, CO during Xmas, etc.). Ownership at that resort allows you access to book earlier than the rest of the general membership (12 months in advance instead of 9 months).

I own in Las Vegas (low maintenance), and almost never go there. I've enjoyed the HGVC properties in Hawaii (Oahu & Hawaii), Breckenridge, South Beach Miami, Las Vegas & Orlando (and I've been a member less than a year!). It's not hard at all to book times, I find the website is easiest. The Hawaii properties show unavailability many times, but that changes on a constant basis. I was able to book 2 units at the Waikoloa Village property last month for my family, one with points and one with cash on the "open season" rates. It just took some work checking the website for availability daily until the time I needed opened up.

This also needs to be noted, the "open season" discounted cash rate is one of the best perks to being an HGVC member. I've only used points for two stays in the past year, all the rest have been open season. Great rates, great accommodations. Come on.. where else can you get a two bedroom ocean view suite over Waikiki in Honolulu for $120.00/night? (We stopped in Honolulu also last month )

I haven't tried RCI yet, I've been enjoying the HGVC properties too much. I think I might try to book RCI in Europe next summer. The rates (3400 pts/week for 1BR/high season) are actually a little better than the HGVC properties also.

Welcome to HGVC! I know that right after a purchase, it gets anxious because of the sleazy negative reputation that timeshare ownership has had over the years. Also, you'll keep hearing over and over that you should have never purchased from HGVC directly. Eh, don't give it a second thought... I just upgraded to Elite with them myself. The important thing is: you WILL enjoy your membership, that I'm sure of! I absolutely love mine and I have no regrets at all.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Iam looking to buy a 7000 point 2/2 platinum package from hilton in the las vegas area.The price is the same for the resort in flamingo and the newer hilton resort on the strip.Which one is better to buy.Any advise is really aprreciated
I own at International Drive in Orlando, bought from HGVC and at the Strip (bought resale). Paid about 1/3 less for the resale...so do the math. Like someone said, the only difference is the elite benies and personally they are not worth it. I suggest you buy where the maintenance is lowest. I think this might be the Flamingo but definitely in Vegas. I believe that some of the elite only properties are now opened up for regular booking but not sure of the details. If I had to do it over again, I would do the resales. I spend 20K + a year so get gold from the Amex Hilton card. I'm always Diamond so right now its not a big deal for me.

If you want to spend maybe $30k +, I suggest go resale and buy more points than the 7000. For that money you should be able to get anywhere from 17-19,000 points.

HGVC does have RFR (right of first refusal) but I think they usually let it slide if you are paying about $7,000 or higher for a 5000 block. This is just based on my research so your IMMV. Not sure what a 7000 block goes for at resale.

Good luck. Oh yeah, it you can't use all the points in one year, you can "rescue" them to the next year, roll over to RCI or transfer to Hilton. I think that's the order of preference to at least for me. RCI extends them for two years but the booking fees are higher and the conversion rate to HH at 23:1 really stinks. That's a last resort for me. You can't even get a VIP Cat 5 6 night booking with a 5000 pts transfer.

Anyway, needless to say, we love our HGVC. I plan on buying more resale. Only wish I knew a way to combine the maintenance with buying direct from HGVC.

Good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:03 am

Hilton Grand Vacation Club timeshares anyone?

Have you considered buying in on this timeshare deal? If you did, what was it that swayed you. If you didn't, what turned you off?

I collect more than enough points to earn great holidays, but the Hilton plan allows me to get significant discounts on a limited number properties which I sometimes visit for work. I'd like to hear your opinion before I delve further into the feasibility of this program.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Two things make this a great program, particularly if your traveling days are being reduced, point conversion and status. You can convert your HGVC points to Hilton points at 25 to 1. If you purchase at least 14K HGVC points, you get Gold status for as long as you are in the program. You can also get Diamond, but I don't know the required point status. You should look at resale as well as retail purchases as the benefits are about the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.