Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Grand Vacations Club- experiences, questions, worth it?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Grand Vacations Club- experiences, questions, worth it?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2002, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum

Hi,
I booked the special 3 night $99 promotional deal at Orlando Hilton Grand Vacations Club, where you have to take a 90 minute tour about timeshares. When I booked with Barbara at Hilton Grand Vacations, I was told that I would get HHonors points for the stay. When I checked in they said that no points are allowed for the timeshare promotional rate, but they said they would part my HHonors number in anyway. Has anyone received points for this $99 plus tax promo?
- Andrew
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:32 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Rates = HHonors Points?

Reserved to stay at Las Vegas Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Hilton is sold out July 28-30. Never stayed at a GVC before and wanted to make sure:
1. would receive HHonors points as I would at any Hilton
2. do not have to sit through a 90 minute presentation or anything

Still participating in the Hilton 50k promo so really need the points, especially since cancelling reservation at MGM Grand as they no longer give AA miles!

------------------
If it is such a small world, why have I been on this airplane for more than 12 hours?!?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:52 am

If you got one of their "packages" that state you will need to go to a presentation,do not expect stay credit or points.If you booked through HH,you will receive credits. Nice property. Much nicer than Hilton.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 7:20 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Thanks, booked online via www.hilton.com so relieved to get miles for stay. Didn't know they were all suites!

------------------
If it is such a small world, why have I been on this airplane for more than 12 hours?!?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 4:14 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:
Thanks, booked online via www.hilton.com so relieved to get miles for stay. Didn't know they were all suites!

</font>
If you have a "studio" unit booked, don't expect what you usually would with a suite...it's the 2nd bedroom lockoff of a 2-br unit..nicer than a room at the LV Hilton, but not what you'd normally expect as a "suite."
Old Jul 19, 2002, 5:28 am

If you have staus make sure they know. They've always upgraded me to a very nice suite.
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:21 am

I have stayed at the ones behind the Flamingo before and thought that they were very nice. The all have jacuzzi tubs, nice sized kitchen and there you also have access to the Flamingo's pool.

Old Oct 14, 2002, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Stayed at HGVC I thought incidentials earned Points

...but its been over three weeks and no points have posted. Has anyone else managed to get points from an HGVC stay. I know that the nights don't generate points but I thought that any purchases to your room do.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:30 am

You have to call HHonors Customer Service and have them adjust your account. I stayed at the HGVC in Orlando in May and my HHonors number didn't appear on my statement. I called customer service and gave them the details about my stay and it posted when I finished the call.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 2:54 pm

Hilton Grand Vacations Club®: Is It Worth Becoming a Member?

I am a Hilton HH Diamond and was interested in becoming a HGVC member. IS anyone here a member? Basically the deal is that you get 7000 HGVC points a year which you can use towards staying at a Hilton GVC - it comes up to a upto 5 weeks a year. OR you can convert those points to 161,000 HH points a year. And THIS IS FOR LIFE - actually it's more than for life - you get a deed which you can sell off to someone else (does anyone know where I can buy one cheaper) or pass on to your family.

The cost is about $21,000 - but the benefits are for life. Also, you get Lifetime Silver Elite Status. However since I am a Diamond, she says she will TRY and see if she can get me LifeTime Gold and 280,000 enrollment HH points. That alone is worth quite a bit.

But $21,000 is a lot of money... but I am 25 so I figure I should have some years to use it. what do you guys think? Has anyone ever done it? Is it worth it? I really would appreciate all the help possible.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by arawal (edited 10-28-2002).]
Old Oct 28, 2002, 3:35 pm

Here are some tips from a HGVC owner.

1. You alone would have to decide if HGVC membership is right for you.
2. If you do like the lifetime benefits, buy as much as you can afford. It keeps the yearly dues in check.
3. Buy from the resale market. HGVC is the only hotel vacation ownership program that lets you buy resale and still enjoy all the conversion(points) benefits.

The above mentioned ownership package can easily bought for $14-16K in the resale market from an established broker.

[This message has been edited by Bourne (edited 10-28-2002).]
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Since you are from NY, I wonder whether you are considering the HGVC at New York Hilton on 6th Ave? The sales pitch given to me a couple months back were that the ownership is only for 30 years, and not for life. They also are willing to give lifetime Diamond HHonors status.

I also stayed at the Orlando HGVC earlier this month. For $69 a night I got a studio unit. It seems that the have been running this special rate repeatedly.

Can you let me know what are the monthly fixed expenses, in additonal to the payment on the purchase price? I am interested to find out:

- Monthly maintenance/dues
- Annual membership fee (if any)
- Cost to actually exchange

I do not remember the specifics of the pitch in New York City, but vaguely recall that the various cost adds up to about $30-50 dollars a night of my timeshare. With the internet and the ability to easily price different hotel stays, it seems that there is not much financial reason to lock myself into a time share, and forgot the yearly 50K bonus HHonors promotion.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arawal:
I am a Hilton HH Diamond and was interested in becoming a HGVC member. IS anyone here a member? Basically the deal is that you get 7000 HGVC points a year which you can use towards staying at a Hilton GVC - it comes up to a upto 5 weeks a year. OR you can convert those points to 161,000 HH points a year. And THIS IS FOR LIFE - actually it's more than for life - you get a deed which you can sell off to someone else (does anyone know where I can buy one cheaper) or pass on to your family.

The cost is about $21,000 - but the benefits are for life. Also, you get Lifetime Silver Elite Status. However since I am a Diamond, she says she will TRY and see if she can get me LifeTime Gold and 280,000 enrollment HH points. That alone is worth quite a bit.

But $21,000 is a lot of money... but I am 25 so I figure I should have some years to use it. what do you guys think? Has anyone ever done it? Is it worth it? I really would appreciate all the help possible.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by arawal (edited 10-28-2002).]
</font>
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:43 pm

Jet2K, I think you are talking about the Hilton Club at NY. That is a bit different than the HGVC. With the NY Hilton club, you pay $24,000+ and get 6800 city points which would get you atleast two weeks during peak times and perhaps a bit more during off peak for a studio. You can convert the 6800 city points at a rate of 25 to 1.

The reason I was thinking of joining HGVC was:

1. You can convert HGVC points to HH points. I was told that for about $20,000 I would get 7000 points which is equivalent to 161,000 HH points. If I take a vacation every other year and use 362,000 (161 X2) HH points, I can use the GLON award - two R/T airline tickets to any Hilton Property in the World plus 6 nights. That seems interesting but is it worth it?

2. The fact that you can sell the deed to others and it's lifetime.

However the $20,000 invested wisely (real estate) would yield more than what you could get out of the HGVC. So I was not too sure.

HAS ANYONE TRIED SELLING THEIR HGVC OWNERSHIP. IF SO, WAS IT EASY AND WHAT %age WERE YOU ABLE TO RECOVER??
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There is some very good information and FAQs on the topic at the Time Share Users Group,
www.tug2.net
Old Oct 29, 2002, 1:22 am

The reason I was thinking of joining HGVC was:

1. You can convert HGVC points to HH points. I was told that for about $20,000 I would get 7000 points which is equivalent to 161,000 HH points. If I take a vacation every other year and use 362,000 (161 X2) HH points, I can use the GLON award - two R/T airline tickets to any Hilton Property in the World plus 6 nights. That seems interesting but is it worth it?

2. The fact that you can sell the deed to others and it's lifetime.

*****Why spend $20,000 for what you could get 6 nights for 100,000 points*GLON*? Don't understand this one....airfare not inclusive, the room you would get would be probably equivalent to $2300, plus airfare for two people...you do the math, lol...and you would not be locked into a lifetime arrangement....seems to me there needs to be a much better incentive to buy into a timeshare, or maybe i am just innocent as to all the benefits. Between all the maintenance fees, yearly fees, etc, etc, why not just book at a hotel? Just call me clueless, I would really like to know from all of you who are actual members if you think you are getting good value for the BIG bucks*at least for my little earnings* you are shelling out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.