Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend {US-IN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend {US-IN}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel South Bend {US-IN}

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. Apparently Hilton just took this over in August. I'll be staying there tomorrow night prior to the Air Force/ND game...anyone know anything about this property? There are only 5 reviews on Tripadvisor and they're pretty mixed.

Also, a little OT, but if anyone knows a good place to take the kids at night for dinner (think sports bar type of place) in walking distance, that would be appreciated!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:27 am

I actually stayed at this property last month for a ND game. The hotel is about to go under extensive renovations, so it's all still "Marriott" style. The rooms are outdated (but not as bad as I had expected). Golds/Diamonds get breakfast in the club lounge on the 3rd floor, even on weekends. All the staff was very friendly and I had an overall pleasant experience here. I wouldn't hesitate to return again; even if it is before they finish renovations.

And yes, they have the cookies at the front desk. Go Irish!!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by sletohdarnoc
I actually stayed at this property last month for a ND game. The hotel is about to go under extensive renovations, so it's all still "Marriott" style. The rooms are outdated (but not as bad as I had expected). Golds/Diamonds get breakfast in the club lounge on the 3rd floor, even on weekends. All the staff was very friendly and I had an overall pleasant experience here. I wouldn't hesitate to return again; even if it is before they finish renovations.

And yes, they have the cookies at the front desk. Go Irish!!
Great to hear! I was curious if they had a lounge or what we got for breakfast! We plan on having breakfast, parking the van for our tailgate at the old golf course and then walking campus.

My Dad got us the tix and he's an Air Force Season ticket holder, so we'll be cheering for the Falcons!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Also, a little OT, but if anyone knows a good place to take the kids at night for dinner (think sports bar type of place) in walking distance, that would be appreciated!
I've stayed at this property several times when it was the Marriott (ironically, as part of my Hilton avoidance plan). Definitely needing a very thorough scrubbing and renovation. Staff was always pleasant and a really solid gym. Glad to hear they're finally investing money into it.

My last stay there (June?) was fine. Rate was dirt cheap and reflected that it wasn't at all near a Marriott standard (Confucius sez: can old-age homes look old?).

In regards to a place to take your family for supper -- there's an Irish Pub called Fiddler's Hearth about a block east from the hotel. One of the better Irish Pubs in a town with no shortage of Irish pubs.

Last edited by belynch; Oct 6, 2011 at 12:24 pm
Old Oct 6, 2011, 12:34 pm

Hello BSDSTONE,

You are correct weconverted in August to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are only a 10 minute drive to ND campus and located right in the heart of downtown. If you driving off of the tollroad just take 933 south. If you are flying in please do not hesitate to contact us to pick you up! Sletohdarnoc is correct Fidler's Hearth is a great Irish Pub. You can also go to http://www.downtownsouthbend.com/dining.php to check out all of the downtown dining options. All within walking distance.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend with highs in the upper 70's! GO IRISH!

LeAnn Allen
Director of Sales

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. Apparently Hilton just took this over in August. I'll be staying there tomorrow night prior to the Air Force/ND game...anyone know anything about this property? There are only 5 reviews on Tripadvisor and they're pretty mixed.

Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by THG2011!
Hello BSDSTONE,

You are correct weconverted in August to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are only a 10 minute drive to ND campus and located right in the heart of downtown. If you driving off of the tollroad just take 933 south. If you are flying in please do not hesitate to contact us to pick you up! Sletohdarnoc is correct Fidler's Hearth is a great Irish Pub. You can also go to http://www.downtownsouthbend.com/dining.php to check out all of the downtown dining options. All within walking distance.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend with highs in the upper 70's! GO IRISH!

LeAnn Allen
Director of Sales
LeAnn,
Welcome to Flyertalk!
LOVE LOVE LOVE having local representation here. We're looking forward to our stay. Can you confirm as a Diamond on an award reservation that I will have access to the club lounge for breakfast on Saturday morning? Is the old golf course parking lot and ND campus walkable distance from your hotel?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
LeAnn,
Welcome to Flyertalk!
LOVE LOVE LOVE having local representation here. We're looking forward to our stay. Can you confirm as a Diamond on an award reservation that I will have access to the club lounge for breakfast on Saturday morning? Is the old golf course parking lot and ND campus walkable distance from your hotel?
You could walk to the old golf course (SW corner of campus) but it would be a bit of a hike. 1.5-2 miles.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

LeAnn Allen
Director of Sales
Welcome to FlyerTalk, LeAnn. We put my nephew in your hotel in June this year. It was a Marriott at that time. It was his wedding night. I posted about the exceptional treatment that your staff provided. They went above and beyond.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:56 pm

As a Diamond Member you will have access to the executive level lounge. This includes breakfast each morning and snacks each evening.

The campus is a bit of a walk but, we do have tons of taxis, shuttles, and public transpo!

Looking forward to seeing you!

LeAnn Allen
Director of Sales
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My observations:
Cons
The hotel is in need of refurbishing, which I understand is on the way. The rooms are fine, just a little worn down. One suggestion on the re-do is add more outlets...there are very few in the room and the ones that are present are difficult to get to.

Pros
-Service is warm, genuine and friendly at every turn. We were there for ND weekend (the ND football team stays here the night before a game), so you can imagine it was pretty hectic. You wouldn't have known it from the employees.
-Front desk check in was efficient and friendly. Recognized diamond status and explained the benefits.
-Room was clean and decent sized. Beds were comfortable with a ton of pillows.
-Executive lounge was crowded as you would imagine, but the staff was on top of it. Great fresh fruit offerings (pineapple, strawberries watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries). 4 different kinds of cereal, multiple juices, multiple milk choices, scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, bagels, english muffins and starbucks coffee.^
-our boys were wearing their Air Force gear and people were giving them a good natured ribbing...the lounge attendant (Laurie I believe her name was) came by with two HUGE ND chocolate bars (after asking permission) to try and buy their allegiance...very cute and a nice touch!
-As a side note, I heard two different employees interacting with guests who were discussing the move from Marriott to Hilton. Typically when I hear this, it's griping and complaining about this and that. Both employees noted positives about the change and said things were going well so far.
-Irish Pub restaurant was a nice respite from the crowds of the ND campus. Food was standard bar irish bar fare and was reasonably priced and tasty. Service was efficient and friendly.
-Outside the restaurant several ND players were hanging out, taking pictures and signing autographs...what a thrill for the young ND fans.

Overall the hotel was great, and when the refurb is done, it will be outstanding. Glad to see this hotel join the Hilton family!^^^
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:31 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Can you confirm as a Diamond on an award reservation that I will have access to the club lounge for breakfast on Saturday morning?
As a Diamond Member you will have access to the executive level lounge. This includes breakfast each morning and snacks each evening.
Hi LeAnn,

Looking at a stay here in January and see that the hotel's Web site says: "Note: Our Concierge Lounge is not available on weekends and/or holidays."

So no breakfast/evening snacks in lounge on weekends? Breakfast for Diamonds in the restaurant? How about evening snacks?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
bump - any weekend experiences out there?

Am looking at this property for Fall 2012. Anybody had experiences in past six months during weekends with the lounge/breakfast situation for Diamonds? Or any Diamond "love" in general?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sallyerd
Am looking at this property for Fall 2012. Anybody had experiences in past six months during weekends with the lounge/breakfast situation for Diamonds? Or any Diamond "love" in general?
Was HH Gold on my two stays at this property this summer so can't comment on Diamond perks, but breakfast in the restaurant is given even to Golds.

Be aware that overall this hotel is quite dated and rooms are very much in need of the upcoming renovations. I'm also hoping the renovations will address room noise problems from thin entry and connecting doors (it's so easy to hear guests in the hallway and in adjacent rooms talking that conversations are entirely intelligible). Also, currently many public spaces inside the hotel are being renovated, so there are noise issues with interior-facing rooms. I will probably try the HGI next time, despite the less "central" location, and hold off until the room renovations are done before considering giving this property a try again.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 8, 2012 at 12:15 am
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:32 am

Any recent stays here? I am Diamond and have an upcoming stay, would like to know what to expect. I do hope renovations are done?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:58 am

Had booked two nights just this past weekend. They sold completely over booked his property that even as a gold I was walked to the Residence Inn down the road. Not very pleased as I was there for a church conference and it made it a bit inconvenient. In the most disappointing part is I had called 3 times during the week leading up to the arrival looking to see if any upgrades will be available for a gold Elite. They assured me each time they would look into it. Never once mentioned anything about giving my room away. I even called the morning of and then made no mention. Even after I told him I would be arriving at 8:30 or 9

They did go above and beyond with comps though.

Although I didn't see any rooms the common areas all seemed fine. Lobby seemed nice. In small indoor pool was more than adequate. There is no outdoor pool. Still don't know how they overbooked so very many rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.