Sadly, Beta goes Live

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sadly, Beta goes Live

Unfortunately, Hilton's Beta for searching through HHonors properties on their web site is now the only option.

For those of us who need to view multiple hotel properties at the same time - especially by popping up separate windows to see what each property has available in terms of what types of rooms, amenities, parking, costs by room type in order to compare what a 2 bed vs. a suite vs. downtown vs. midtown, etc. - our right mouse button days are over.

I wasn't happy at all with the Beta. I still ain't at all happy with Beta as Live.

Also, trying to get into my HHonors account at near midnight on a Friday, the login process is even slower than before!

(And, even more unfortunate, I suspect that this mod to Hilton.com has driven Marriott to do something even more stupid - by messing with the content and format of the Marriott Rewards' individual member My Account pages. Talk about useless change. At least, so far, HHonors has kept the My Account page simple and single. If you have been a user of your MR My Account pages, you'll be horrified.)

David
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Unfortunately, Hilton's Beta for searching through HHonors properties on their web site is now the only option.

For those of us who need to view multiple hotel properties at the same time - especially by popping up separate windows to see what each property has available in terms of what types of rooms, amenities, parking, costs by room type in order to compare what a 2 bed vs. a suite vs. downtown vs. midtown, etc. - our right mouse button days are over.

I wasn't happy at all with the Beta. I still ain't at all happy with Beta as Live.

Also, trying to get into my HHonors account at near midnight on a Friday, the login process is even slower than before!

(And, even more unfortunate, I suspect that this mod to Hilton.com has driven Marriott to do something even more stupid - by messing with the content and format of the Marriott Rewards' individual member My Account pages. Talk about useless change. At least, so far, HHonors has kept the My Account page simple and single. If you have been a user of your MR My Account pages, you'll be horrified.)

David
UGH! I could not agree more. The first time I used Beta, it was horrendous. I immediately filled out the survey, but unfortunately they only let me do it once (I tried about a dozen more times). My gripes (which I'm sure many other share):

-You now have to switch back and forth from list view and map view. On the old site, I loved seeing the list combined with the map, as I'm often traveling to unknown cities and need to stay close to the airport, downtown, meeting location, etc.
-The site is preloaded with cities, and you can't search by one the site doesn't recognize! Quick example...I tried to book a stay at the Hampton in Norfolk, NE (the only Hilton property for miles around), and the site wouldn't pick up Norfolk, NE as a valid city! I instead needed to search by property, and lo and behold, there it was.
-Anyone else notice that the site now rounds the room prices down until the final page? If I book a room at the AAA rate of $94.80, the price shows as $94 until the final page.
-Finally, and most significantly, the map feature is HORRIFICALLY broken. Try searching by city or address, and the little star indicating your selection is never where it should be. Again, for someone booking hotels in unfamiliar cities or looking for properties closest to a specific address, the new system is awful.

All that being said, I just logged into my account and still see the old booking engine. Here's hoping they had a change of heart...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:12 am
Suspended

There are some severe bugs with this thing too. If I am checking a few properties in the same location, going back and forth, it eventually gives me an error page and I have to start the whole thing from scratch.

Not ready for prime time.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
The problems I have had are that the Map feature is broken and they say to try again and getting a "rates from $XX" on the list page and finding only higher rates when selecting the hotel.

BTW, if you are using Firefox and a scroll mouse, you can open multiple tabs of selected hotel for side by side comparison by pushing the scroll as a button instead of the left click.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Deemus7
UGH! I could not agree more. The first time I used Beta, it was horrendous. I immediately filled out the survey, but unfortunately they only let me do it once (I tried about a dozen more times). My gripes (which I'm sure many other share):

-You now have to switch back and forth from list view and map view. On the old site, I loved seeing the list combined with the map, as I'm often traveling to unknown cities and need to stay close to the airport, downtown, meeting location, etc.
-The site is preloaded with cities, and you can't search by one the site doesn't recognize! Quick example...I tried to book a stay at the Hampton in Norfolk, NE (the only Hilton property for miles around), and the site wouldn't pick up Norfolk, NE as a valid city! I instead needed to search by property, and lo and behold, there it was.
-Anyone else notice that the site now rounds the room prices down until the final page? If I book a room at the AAA rate of $94.80, the price shows as $94 until the final page.
-Finally, and most significantly, the map feature is HORRIFICALLY broken. Try searching by city or address, and the little star indicating your selection is never where it should be. Again, for someone booking hotels in unfamiliar cities or looking for properties closest to a specific address, the new system is awful.

All that being said, I just logged into my account and still see the old booking engine. Here's hoping they had a change of heart...
This is why I use Google Maps to find a Hilton hotel...it tends to be more granular and detailed than the Hilton "map"
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:53 pm

Looks like they realized how fubar the Beta site was. Booked a room today and it's back to the old version.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
There may be some technical flaws. There was an attempt for improvements over the old site though (e.g. family policy was stated more clearly), so I wish them luck in getting it together!

The current situation where you have to struggle with two different versions is not sustainable! (Actually three, as I have started to look at hilton.co.uk as an alternative).
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Looks like they realized how fubar the Beta site was. Booked a room today and it's back to the old version.
The Beta has been driving me crazy for months. I can't stand it. I once spent about an hour filling out the bug/debrief survey for them but I don't think it made any difference. It's definitely not ready for prime time.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:48 pm
hch

hilton.de is another completely different website architecture, and while it's not perfect I really prefer it over the English language variants.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:48 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I do not see any real benefit to the beta site. It shows the options of outrageously price reward rooms when standard rooms are not available. The flexible date calendar and the reward availability calendar are far superior on the current old site, so why does Hilton enhance them and make them far more inefficient and cumbersome with the new Beta site? The Beta site only allows and displays searches by up to two weeks at a time, but the old site shows a months worth of rates and rewards at a time. If it ain't broken, then don't fix it!

Last edited by chitownflyer; Sep 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I hate it for another reason. There is no longer the option to enter the 3 digit European AAA code and the 16 digit code is rejected by Hilton (not a problem with the Hyatt web site). Until they fix this no more business from me
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Most here won't care but in the new Beta a lot of the smoking rooms are not updated or info uploaded! Tells me no smoking room only option when I know there is, now I have to call!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Not a permanent Live situation, got the old site this morning.^
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PIJD
Not a permanent Live situation, got the old site this morning.^
Which website you get seems a bit random... I wanted to book a room this morning. The new website is giving 'There are no rooms available' for any date for any hotel (even though it is giving prices for the different hotels). I thereafter opened a different browser - got the old site and had not problem at all booking the same hotel. 30 minutes later (after closing the old site...) I decided that I had to book another hotel, and now I am busy opening and closing browser windows, hoping for the old site to appear, as the new one still is not working :-(
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by xandern
he new website is giving 'There are no rooms available' for any date for any hotel busy opening and closing browser windows, hoping for the old site to appear, as the new one still is not working :-(
Yes and even if you get the one old page, it's now diverting you back to that terrible beta-site for the last page to show "no rooms available".

Impossible to make a booking on the Hilton site. Does this qualify for the best rate guarantee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.