Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I find ES manager hours are often a zoo, with "food" pretty much related to chips and salsa. If you contact the HS ahead of time, I'm sure they'll tell you what the evening reception offering will be for the days you'd be there. Even if it's something you guys might not like, you can always down there for drinks (and sodas). The couple of times I've experienced their receptions the wine and beer were decent quality, not Bud Lite or a thimble of plonk. One place they came around with bottles refilling glasses like an aircraft FC cabin, and at the other the hostess seemed genuinely disappointed that I wasn't going have a third glass of wine, as I was putting my dishes in the bon near her station.
That's good to hear... better planning. And I'd definitely take advantage of the booze. With three kids, you need to! Mitigating the potential for crowds at the ES manager hour, however, is the fact that we're staying off-peak when the property should be well below capacity.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I participated in a fun bicycle ride in November, started at UCR Palm Desert, stayed at the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert. While a bit of a ride from town, the property is new, modern, one of the nicest Hampton's I have ever seen - great for a budget stay. There is also a new Homewood Suites nearby, did not check it out.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Thought I'd chime in with an update. We just stayed at the Embassy Suites La Quinta. Parking was free and plentiful. Short walk to Ralph's for groceries, and many stores and restaurants in the same center, just a walk (or very short drive) away. The room was, well, roomy... the bedroom was walled off by a door, which was great for keeping the kids' noise out! The breakfast, per the reviews, was awesome, daily, and free for all five of us. The manager's reception was great too... unlimited wine and beer every night, which we took advantage of. No real food to speak of, but the drinks were great. The property was well-kept, the staff was okay, and we lucked out with weather low 70s to low 80s every day. The pool was sufficient, but certainly not impressive... would have preferred a nicer/bigger one with more room on the deck in particular, but we knew going in that it would be limited. Overall, for 120K points, extremely pleased.

I'm still interested in giving the HS La Quinta a try, based upon the earlier suggestions. The nicer pool and full dinner would make a difference. Would miss the easy access to the nearby shopping/restaurants, but with a car, a short drive isn't a big deal. Maybe will burn points in another account there in 2014.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Glad it all worked out! Yes temps are very inviting still--we are mulling over this area and Tucson for coming week. Thanks for the update.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:36 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Mystery Guest Picks Up All the Tabs at Hilton Hotel Location in California

About 50 guests at a Hilton in Northern California woke up to find their night's stay paid for.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/t...-1226793107944
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Brilliant but he'll only earn credit for two rooms on one folio
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
While it is nice for the people staying in the hotel, I can't help wondering how much good the same financial gesture could have done for the right charity.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
(And of course for the donor, who could have claimed that back off the top line of his or her taxes).

Seriously, it's a fair point but was probably a moment of madness by a lucky gambler, rather than a calculated gesture, so it's most likely not an either/or scenario.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Hope none of the guests were staying just to qualify for Gold or Diamond!

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
While it is nice for the people staying in the hotel, I can't help wondering how much good the same financial gesture could have done for the right charity.
One of the guests was quoted as saying they will donate what they would've spent to charity, and I bet others will pay it forward.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
With all due respect, we have no information as to how much the giver donates to charity in a given year.

This kind of second-guessing is really beside the point, isn't it? I mean one could easily say the same thing about, oh I don't know, all the money gambled away in Las Vegas. "It should all have been given to charity!"

The fact is that in a capitalist society we have the freedom to do what we want, for the most part, with our capital.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:31 pm

These kind of replies disgust me. Why can't a nice gesture stand by itself?

Did you give Christmas presents (or birthday presents) to any of your family members? Maybe it would have been better to donate the money to charity.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
I say

It's a lovely gesture and expression of the holidays
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:48 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Probably paid with a Target Business Credit Card
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Talking

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Probably paid with a Target Business Credit Card
Thats funny
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by Cymro
Brilliant but he'll only earn credit for two rooms on one folio

That's a good one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.