Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn Rate Scam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2001, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Hampton Inn Rate Scam

In the past few weeks, I have called a couple of Hampton Inns after checking rates on the internet for that particular inn on my desired date. Each time I was not offered to lowest rate even afetr I asked for the "best rate" until after I was offered a couple of other rates that were much higher.

Then a day or so ago I called the 800 number and was offered a rate of over $100. I asked for the "best rate" and they moved down to under $85. I again asked if there was a better rate and they said no. I said there was a "Hit the Road" rate on the internet of under $60. I asked the very nice girl on the phone why she didn't give me the lowest rate when I asked. I said I did not like having to behave like I was buying a rug in Katmandu and to me, not giving the lowest rate upon request was like lying.

She said she agreed with me. She explained that the hotel owners (I took that to mean franchisees) wanted to get the highest rates and that she and the others had been told to not offer the "Hit the Road" rate unless someone asked for it. I told her she was an honest person and I was sorry her supervisors had made her do such disengenous things on the job.

Sadly, the people reading this are folks probably too sharp to fall for this game. Hilton should be ashamed of itself-if you ask for the low rate, they should quote it. I don't steal towels from Hampton Inns and I don't expect Hamton Inns to mislead me.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old Nov 4, 2001, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I agree with you, but suspect that most hotel chains do the same thing.

Kathy
Old Nov 5, 2001, 6:41 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
I agree with you, but suspect that most hotel chains do the same thing.
</font>
Agreed, I very much dislike having to ask for a rate that I have to name the promotion.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 1:32 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
That's why I always book online.

Marriott will quote you the lowest rate on the phone, but other chains don't work that way.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 4:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by das:
Marriott will quote you the lowest rate on the phone. </font>
That was not my experience. Unfortunately, this misleading is almost universal for the whole lodging industry.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i usually ask, "is there any other promotion or special offer i should know about?"

or

"that's more than i'm prepared to spend. is there anything you can recommend i do to make that rate lower... arrive on a different night, perhaps, or use a different promotional code?"

they often then volunteer the lowest rate.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 6:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The few times I've had to book on the phone they will give a rate, I will ask if there are any promotions or specials or discounts that can be applied for those dates, and they always offer the lowest rate I say online.

If you already know the lowest rate, then why bother the reservations people playing a game, just say you need the "so and so" rate for these dates, or any other promotions that are less expensive.

This isn't limited to Hilton, most hotels will always give you rack rates first, you have to ask for discounts.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 8:07 am
Original Poster

When I called, I knew the "Hit the Road" rate but I was calling to see what might be lower. I was shopping, not playing games. I asked twice for the cheapest rate- that's a pretty straightforward approach.

Playing games is when major corporations try to fool their customers into paying more than they have to for no added benefit. I don't think I should have to identify myself as a savvy customer to not be taken advantage of.

[This message has been edited by Mountain Trader (edited 11-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mountain Trader (edited 11-06-2001).]
Old Nov 6, 2001, 6:23 pm

Look at the web site. They have a rate named "best available rate", which is often not the lowest.

When you ask for the "best available rate" this is the rate you are quoted.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

So the "best" rate is not the lowest rate? I guess next time I call a Hilton hotel, I'll have to have my lawyer on the line and a copy of all the defined terms I am going to use with the $8 an hour phone rep who has been taught to goose the customers wallets.

Wait-How about this instead. I'll call a hotel chain that doesn't try to chisle me. Yeah-that's it. That feels a lot better.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
the phrase "best available rate" wasn't invented by hilton and, in fact, is used throughout the hospitality industry. you'll probably find the term used at many other hotel chains.

it often isn't the lowest rate available, but the "best" rate available to those who don't know about a promotion or otherwise "qualify" for a lower rate.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 9:39 pm

I don't understand---If you phoned a couple of times and got rates higher than the $60 Internet rate, why not just purchase it on-line and get the extra 1000 points for an on-line purchase + $60 rate?

Seems pretty straightforward, no haggling involved.

Old Nov 7, 2001, 10:16 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
The bigger con is at the front desk. It works like this...I ask "Is this the best possible rate?" The clerk is trained to say "You've got a great rate, sir!" Most would nod and leave but I ask again "But, is this the best rate I can get?" and the answer is again vague "You have one of the best rates for that room sir!" or something similar, forcing me to continue my inquiry. I hate those answers that keep trying to deflect my question. As someone who bills others for my room 99% of the time, I still can be quite a pest to get the lowest rate.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 1:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I hate this cat and mouse game (with all the lodging companies).

I have often seen an advertised rate in the newspaper, but when I call reservations they "offer" me a much higher rate. I have asked phone reps and they have told me that unless I specifically ask for a promotion by name or by the publication where I saw it, they are instructed to not offer it to me.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
I hate this cat and mouse game (with all the lodging companies).

I have often seen an advertised rate in the newspaper, but when I call reservations they "offer" me a much higher rate. I have asked phone reps and they have told me that unless I specifically ask for a promotion by name or by the publication where I saw it, they are instructed to not offer it to me.
</font>
There are all sorts of rates out there. Many have special requirements. For example, to get the AAA rate, you must be an AAA member and present your card at check-in. To get the AARP rate, you must belong to AARP. To get the senior rate, you must be a senior.

With some of the special rates advertized in the newspaper, for example, a requirement of the rate is that you must ask for it by name. If you don't ask for it by name, you don't qualify for the rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.