FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   The Honeymoon Thread: 2001-2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/124737-honeymoon-thread-2001-2010-a.html)

cordelli Jan 2, 2002 1:08 pm

I love Saint Lucia. If you do end up there, they make a fresh cocoa log on the island and sell them for something like $1.00 each. If you bake, they put any processed powder cocoa you buy in the store to shame, make sure to pick up some.

mountain flyer Jan 2, 2002 4:33 pm

I agree St. Lucia is your top bet. I went there last year and to Hawaii this year, and St. Lucia is an exclusive and reclusive paradise. You'll get your own villa, which will most likely be a suite. There is a plunge pool in each villa. There is a nice beach on the property, as well as a spa, tennis courts, several restaurants. The whole resort has the atmosphere is an exclusive club.

A couple of suggestions:
-If you want some booze, make a stop in town on your way over and stock up. The villas have a refrigerator which they will gladly stock for you. However is will be about 20% of the cost if you buy in town.
-Same as above for breakfast stuff. They have a very nice breakfast buffet, but it is expensive. Chances are you might want to eat on your patio at least a couple of mornings.
-The rum bar next store is fun and the food is basic but good. They have a dinner show which is fun on Wednesday or Thursday. Its a must see.
-You can get to the resort by helicopter, boat or taxi. Taxi is the cheapest, but by boat is only a little more. The boat guide will also probably give you a little tour. The boats tend to be small though. If you can splurge, take the helicopter at least one way (and during the day). I think it takes like 10 minutes, whereas the boat and taxi take at least an hour. I think the helicopter is $70/person, boat about $50, and taxi about $40.
-They will take $$'s just about anywhere, so don't feel the need to change alot of money.
-Check out the hot tub by the spa, it has a great view of the ocean.
-The towns are pretty destitute, so I would recommend a guided tour. Defintiely get out of the resort for a day or two.
-St. Lucia has some of the best diving in the world, so don't miss out. We took the resort course and the fish on the area by the resort were great.

Hope you have a great honeymoon! Congrats!
Chris

Karen2 Jan 2, 2002 5:49 pm

One thing to keep in mind - August is hot and humid in St Lucia. We stayed at the Hyatt - other end of the island. It has the advantage of having a Regency lounge whereas your Diamond status at Hilton will only buy you an upgraded room - no lounge available. Rental cars are quite expensive. Check with the hotel - I think there is a free shuttle into town - a really dinky town. Two days of touring will pretty much do it for St. Lucia. The Hilton setting is really lovely and private. Nice beach, cove, mountains behind. We visited a woman we met at the Hyatt who was dividing her time.

Have you considered Tobago?

I recommend Waikoloa Village on the big island of Hawaii which does have a lounge, gorgeous gardens, very romantic. Evening boat rides by torch light, hammocks for two in various parts of the property. Water slides. Diamond has free access to fitness center. Swim with the dolphins. Great dinner opportunity at Roy's in the nearby shopping plaza. Volcano, waterfalls, Hilo flower gardens, ruins. Really a lot to offer on that island and August is almost off season. Free shuttle to hotel next door for beach. This island has one sugar sand beach after another. Rental cars are cheap by comparison to the Caribbean. Our whole family is going for a week in July - it is everyone's favorite hotel. Three couples in the family are in their early thirties and leaving kids at home! 2nd honeymoon. Aloha!

drtravels Jan 2, 2002 6:12 pm

Another tip at St Lucia is to order the picnic basket for lunch. It is fairly reasonable for the price and 1 lunch will feed 3-4 people. We ordered 2 lunches and it filled a large cooler.

I agree with the bring your own alcohol. Wine selections aren't very good and very expensive. The tap water was fine for me.

Super Larry Jan 2, 2002 8:25 pm

I'm getting maried as well on June 30th and off to Rhodes Resort and Hotel in Greece. It's an executive property at 100 000 points. What I've been told so far is that the Resort is great with a private beach.

Congratulations for the wedding!
Jean - YUL

LK126 Mar 19, 2002 5:56 pm

Congrats! I found myself in the same situation...getting married that is...and looking to spend Hilton points. I am only a Gold Member. I looked into Italy but everything is already booked or they do not take points during the time of my honeymoon. Wedding date is October 12th, 2002. I will keep you posted if I find anything. I am also open to suggestions.

keywestbars Mar 20, 2002 1:15 pm

I just booked a room 150,000 six nights at the new resort in los cabos mexico. All ocean front rooms and they have a whirlpool tub on the balcony. The hotel is a ten minute cab ride to the nightlife of cabo. I'm going during Sammy Hagar's birthday bash at cabo wabo. The hotel is next door to 2 great golf courses.

Sweet Willie Mar 20, 2002 5:20 pm

Just my PO, but my wife and I would not like to be as isolated like the Hilton St. Lucia seems to be (even on our honeymoon http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif.

Other tropical Hiltons to consider would be:
Guam, Maldives, Mauritius, Tobago,

keywestbars Mar 25, 2002 11:32 am

Hilton cabo honeymoon help ?

I am planning a honeymoon trip for cabo in Oct. I would love to hear info on the hotel and on Cabo. I am a diamond, what does that get me there ? Thanks ...

cactuspete Mar 25, 2002 12:19 pm

Sorry, no info here.

As a courtesy to others, you might just want to bump up one of your other threads on this property rather than starting a new one.

milesandpoints Aug 14, 2002 12:17 pm

A Hilton Honeymoon

Hello All,

I have read through a bunch of posts here regarding the Hilton in Malta, Maldives, etc. and we are looking for a place to spend our Honeymoon. We have both traveled for work quite a bit so we are both Gold VIP and have about 500k ponits combined. We were thinking about doing an Island destination for a week and the maybe go to Rome or Paris for a few days then come back. Any destinations (Hilton for now http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif) that you can definately recommend.

Thanks for your help!!

keywestbars Aug 14, 2002 12:25 pm

Honeymoon Info:
I booked my honeymoon at the Cancun Hilton. I have been here before and have been treated very well. Also a bargin at 100,000 for 6 nights. ---

White sand, blue water and ice cold Corona.

It seems that europe is getting alot of rain these days.

[This message has been edited by keywestbars (edited 08-14-2002).]

keywestbars Aug 14, 2002 12:31 pm

I had a very nice time at the Rhodes Hilton. I love the greek isles.

[This message has been edited by keywestbars (edited 08-14-2002).]

CharlotteConsultant Aug 14, 2002 3:16 pm

I am getting married next May and have planned my "Hilton Honeymoon." We are going to the Jalousie Hilton on St. Lucia for six nights and then to the Tobago Hilton for six nights.

I have been able to collect a lot of information about the Jalousie, but not about Tobago.

Sanguan Aug 19, 2002 12:02 am

You need to catch a small taxiplane from Male Airport to Hilton at Maldives. Does anyone have experienced that before. Does that included in the free redemption? or it is extra to pay for?