Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"The Embassy Touch"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:19 am

From reading the posts it seems like there is a large case of inconsistency at different locations.

I would guess there is “flexibility” on what the site managers feel is necessary to acknowledge HH members thus adding to his/her bottom line?

Inconsistency is the only reason I NEVER stay at Holiday Inns, Best Westerns and most Hampton Inns.

I do have to admit though that the bed I currently have is a very nice pillow top and I guess the cookies just would have made me feel guilty….
So maybe… they are cutting back in HH acknowledgement services and buying better mattresses?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
I am glad each(or majority) of you received the "Embassy Touch", as I never did when I stayed in BHM, but I did get upgraded to a 2bed room suite, so guess I can't complain.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I can't believe people are raving about ES. The last time I stayed at an ES was two years ago and that was only because it was convenient for a client meeting. They were nice at one time, but the room rates at most ES are thru the roof. In fact, in my view, ES has the most consistently over-priced properties within the Hilton chain (excepting Conrad which is in a different league), and that includes Hilton and Doubletree. Hampton Inn + purchase of breakfast at a local diner/restaurant is a far better value than ES.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
I can't believe people are raving about ES. The last time I stayed at an ES was two years ago and that was only because it was convenient for a client meeting. They were nice at one time, but the room rates at most ES are thru the roof. In fact, in my view, ES has the most consistently over-priced properties within the Hilton chain (excepting Conrad which is in a different league), and that includes Hilton and Doubletree. Hampton Inn + purchase of breakfast at a local diner/restaurant is a far better value than ES.</font>
I guess they're not all the same. I've spent 15 nights at ES in Beachwood, OH this year. There's never a line at breakfast. The building is in decent shape. The desk staff treat me with deference. And my corporate rate is $119 a night.

I do spend a fair amount of time in the room (I don't like cold weather) so I appreciate the additional space vs a Hampton. I wouldn't switch to a Hampton or the Hilton next door, although I'm going to try a Homewood Suites instead next month.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 4:54 pm

You will love the Homewood Suites!

For what ever reason they are more user friendly and the rooms are just as nice (in my experience) I stay a lot at the one in PHX and really like it.

Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:06 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites Lakefront in Chicago and somehow, the place has gotten worse in the two years since it was opened. They only had two people working at the front desk most of the time even though the hotel seemed to be pretty full, and sometimes, there were long lines at check-in. Also, one had to wait a long time for luggage. No upgrade was offered (Diamond). Embassy Touch was not provided, after calling and asking how I could get some water (since the fridge was empty and there was no mini-bar), they said, what, did you not get that Hilton Honors gift that includes the water? I said "no". About half an hour later someone dropped off some cookies and two warm small bottles of water. Breakfast was good, but very crowded, and yes, lots of kids (I like kids, but I realize for some this might have been too noisy).

One unrelated thing, the building in the Embassy Lakefront Chicago is constructed in an "open" fashion, so all rooms' doors can more or less be seen from the lobby on all levels (don't know exactly how to describe it). Especially on higher floors, I find it a little scary, because the balustrade is not very high, and if one was carrying someone to one's room and was to lose balance, I feel one could easily fall over it, especially if one had a drink or two or so, and/or if one is very tall.

When going back to Chicago, I would most probably choose Drake or Palmer House over the Embassy Suites.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
One unrelated thing, the building in the Embassy Lakefront Chicago is constructed in an "open" fashion, so all rooms' doors can more or less be seen from the lobby on all levels (don't know exactly how to describe it).</font>
Is this it? A Staggered Truss System? It utilizes an Open Atrium design.
http://www.aisc.org/Content/ContentG...assysuites.pdf
Old Mar 25, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amanuensis:
Is this it? A Staggered Truss System? It utilizes an Open Atrium design.
http://www.aisc.org/Content/ContentGroups/Modern_Steel_Constructi on3/September_2000/0009_01_embassysuites.pdf
</font>
I think so, it kind of looks like it.

Old Mar 25, 2004, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Columbus, Ohio, Dublin... 2 bottles of water and 1 pack of 2 Milano cookies
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:17 am

Last weekend, ES Downtown PDX, the same thing: two bottles room temperature H2O and bag of cookies. But we again got upgraded to a huge suite (100% success rate at upgrades BTW; in maybe 10 or 15 stays at this property), turndown with mints, and the drinks at the manager's cocktail reception were excellent.

In fact, the only problem was with a rather surly parking/valet attendant who seemed miffed that I would even consider parking my own car.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:45 am

---------------

Last edited by mkbSFO; Apr 2, 2004 at 12:52 am Reason: double post
Old Apr 2, 2004, 12:47 am

Gold VIP - I stayed two weeks ago, 3 nights at SFO Airport Burlingame ES, not a peep. Did not get Executive floor, did not get a welcome cookie, plus the water bottle in the room had a $3.00 price label attached. "Thanks! Nice perk!"

I was told under breath as checking in "Cocktails mmrm mrmm" I didn't hear exactly what he was trying to say, (my hearing is excellent BTW) though I already know about the usual time for cocktail hour.

Not that I cared so much because I stay so often at Hiltons that I know the usual drill. But I found it odd I was not introduced to what happens for breakfast and where, etc... Just hello, here's your key.

I also put in the notes "Politely request VIP upgrade, if available." That's all I ever do, because I get tired of begging for good service. Not a word to confirm nor deny the upgrade. Obviously, I discovered when I got in the elevator that I didnt need my key to get to my floor.

Oh well, I usually don't so much care about that stuff when it's just me travelling, but it still bothers me to know they aren't giving the service that they promise on paper.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 3:22 pm

Embassy Touch

I read that golds staying at Embassy Suites receive something called the "embassy touch" . I guess that's because they can't upgrade you to a suite if you already booked one, and they already give free breakfast. I have an upcoming Embassy stay (first as a gold) and was wondering what to expect.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It is similar to Hampton Touch (though perhaps a bit more generous): a box containing bottled water, cookies, snack mix, etc.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA/MP
less and less

On several of my most recent ES stays, the box was missing and so was the snack. All they brought was the cookies and couple bottles of water, not that I am not grateful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.