Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland {US-OR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland {US-OR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2001, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland {US-OR}

OK, Here is a report from a recent 4 night stay with the wife at the referenced hotel.

I am a Hilton Honors Gold and upon checking into the hotel at 11pm the first night, we were kindly greeted, given our cookies and told there was no upgrade available. Too tired to question further, we retired to the room. Oh yes, they also gave us our breakfast certs (2) for the next morning. Almost forgot, they also gave us our $15 per night dashboard parking card for the car. I did complain about that because the previous stay I was given complimentary parking. The clerk gave me 50% off @ $7.5 per night. Then, we retired to the room.

The next morning, after enjoying a great steak and eggs breakfast on the house, I went to the front desk and questioned them about the $7.5 parking charge, telling them the last time I was there I had complimentary parking, I am a HHonors Gold, etc, etc, etc. The kind lady checked a couple things and reached over to the complimentary stack of dashboard parking cards (which was right beside the $15 per night stack) and gave me one, thus, free parking. She also credited the $7.5 charge while she had a look of wondering how that charge ever came about.

Upon leaving she gave me the 3 remaining days breakfast certs for me (only three), when I inquired about the breakfast certs for my wife, she said they were only for the HHonors member, not the spouse or room guest. I kindly dissented and told her the night before we were given 2, 1 for each of us, she came back with some line saying "That was wrong and they really only are suppose to give them to "Silver" members". I said "What!!". There was no winning, so I took my 3 certs, smiling face, and left for the time being.

After a shift change I proceeded to hit the front desk for yet another contact, I told them I did not received my breakfast certs (because I gave the others to my wife, although I didn't tell them that), she checked my Gold status and kindly gave them to me. I kindly thanked her and left; by the way, after the first night, they upgraded us to a very nice room on the 15th floor overlooking the city.

So, we stayed 4 nights at about $77 per night, got 2 free steak 'n eggs breakfast every morning, (or our choice). Free, otherwise $15 per night parking for 4 nights, an upgrade to a very nice top floor room, two bottles of Dasani water, and last but not least 2 warm yummy cookies the night of our arrival.

Sometimes, it just takes persistence, hitting different shifts at the hotel, and as always, kindness works best, as Grandma used to say, "You can catch a lot more flies with honey that you can with vinegar."

Overall grade: A

--coolbreeze
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:32 am

Doubletree Hotel & Executive Meeting Center Portland-Lloyd Center

I am thinking of booking an award stay there later this year. Does anyone have any thoughts about the DT in Portland, ME?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold, , IHG Gold
It's been awhile since I was there, but it was nothing to write home about. I would not waste pts om it. Instead, try the Portland Regency in the Old Port or Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Was there in August; as a Diamond, i got a basic room thats it and my two cookies of course... I'm not impressed at all.. would I go back? only if it was significantly cheaper than my other Portland options
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
You might also consider the Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inn at the aiport. While the two hotels are not really convenient to anything other than the airport, they are both nicer properties than the Doubletree.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:27 pm

Thanks for your help!

It appears I'll have to reconsider.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:34 pm
Original Member

The DT is a renovated Ramada property if that says anything. I have been very happy with the Garden Inn and the ES. There is also a very nice Hampton Inn in Freeport, about 20 miles north. If you are thinking about an award stay for the summer or fall months, I suggest you try to get them now, as award availability becomes scarce during the prime vacation periods.

[This message has been edited by general45 (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old May 28, 2003, 2:52 pm

This hotel is on a Point Saver award for the beginning of June (1st-8th, I believe). Under the new award plan, six nights would be only 24K points.

Anyone successfully use their high speed Internet service?
Old May 28, 2003, 3:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
I was at the Embassy Suites last week. Decent, but nothing spectacular.

I was also at the HGI near the airport for New Years. One of the best hotels I visited lasy year. And after my visit to ES last week, I was sure wishing I'd made reservations earlier and booked here instead. As a Diamond, my SO and I both received breakfast coupons for the hot buffet, and had munchies waiting for us in a deluxe room. Not at all bad for the $89/night we spent!

GMF
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:37 pm

Doubletree Downtown Portland, OR

I did a search but couldn't find any recent info regarding this hotel. Any comments on this hotel would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Do you mean the Doubletree Lloyd Center? I think it's the only Doubletree in Portland, and it's not really "downtown," it's across the river. It is on the MAX (light rail) and is very easy to get downtown. I've stayed there a few times. It's an okay hotel, nothing spectacular. It is near the Convention Center, the Rose Garden Arena, and Memorial Coliseum, but you'll be disappointed if you think you're staying downtown.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
AS the other person said, its an OK hotel. Probably the best thing is that it is right on the light rail (MAX) and walking distance to the Lloyd Center shopping center. So it is very easy to get downtown and/or do shopping and/or get to/from the airport. We have family on that side of the river, so it is more convenient than staying downtown, and the parking is a bit cheaper.

There's also a Marriott Residence Inn and Courtyard in the same area. Haven't stayed at either one, but its an option.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:34 am

Thanks for the replies!

I'm attending wedding at the Adrianna Ballroom which someone told me was downtown and I thought this hotel would be close. I don't have a preference as to whether it's downtown or not, just close to the Ballroom. Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
If you are looking for the best Hilton property in Portland, I would recommend the Embassy Suites downtown.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:54 am
alm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I just stayed there a couple of weeks ago using an award certificate. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready. I asked if there was anything available as i wasn't feeling well and wanted to rest. The clerk was so apologetic that the room he was about to give me was not as nice as the one they had reserved for me. I told him anything would be fine. It was a small room, but other than size, was quite adequate. He wanted to comp. me breakfast or do something for my inconvenience. I said just getting me a room early would be sufficient. Although not downtown, it was convenient to get there and is in the 'free' zone for the light rail. I'd stay there again. Also, can't beat the 1.95 it cost to get from airport to hotel on the light rail. Station is right across the street.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.