Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
As I predicted 9 months ago, the Caley will become a franchised Curio. Hilton really can’t do luxury…as we all know so it’s getting downgraded.

What a flop.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/famous-120...050000721.html
lovely. I have a stay in July booked. Hopefully I don't have to wake up to the sound of a jackhammer every day.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
My reservation for late April has now disappeared from my list of Stays in the app. No email or anything alerting me to a cancellation. Hotel now shows at “Not Bookable” when you look up future dates.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by rcmiller
My reservation for late April has now disappeared from my list of Stays in the app. No email or anything alerting me to a cancellation. Hotel now shows at “Not Bookable” when you look up future dates.
mine was for July.

It's gone now. No points back in the account. Yikes
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by rcmiller
If you still intend staying in Edinburgh, I would get something else booked on a cancellable rate, as a proverbial “towel on a deckchair”.

Then either see what happens/ what Hilton offer, if anything between now and the date of your stay.

Or contact helpdesk, or property direct, to see what they get intend to do about your existing booking.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
If you still intend staying in Edinburgh, I would get something else booked on a cancellable rate, as a proverbial “towel on a deckchair”.

Then either see what happens/ what Hilton offer, if anything between now and the date of your stay.

Or contact helpdesk, or property direct, to see what they get intend to do about your existing booking.
for me, there's not much they can offer. Doubletree is sold out for my dates. They would need to be offering me a room at the Carlton and some of my points refunded.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by jbandy10
for me, there's not much they can offer. Doubletree is sold out for my dates. They would need to be offering me a room at the Carlton and some of my points refunded.
I booked a non-Hilton as a backup plan. I’m doubting we get anything from hotel/Hilton in the way of another option. I had a similar situation several years ago when the Conrad Midtown NYC closed down for a refurb. I had a reservation with a free night certificate. Stay disappeared about six weeks out but no notification from the hotel until 10 days ahead of my check in date. It just said they were canceling the reservation, no other options for a different hotel. Since it was a FNC I had to call multiple times to hotel and Diamond desk to get them to release the certificate back to my account. Quite the pain.

what’s funny with the WA, I had an email direct from the hotel staff maybe 3 weeks ago asking if I needed anything for my upcoming stay, etc… I told them we need a rollaway bed for the kid and they assured me one would be in my room upon arrival….

Also an interesting decision to have both Hilton Carlton and Caley undergo a refurb at the same time.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
I’d maybe look at booking the Carlton, before all of the other people who have been bumped beat you to it!
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
I’d maybe look at booking the Carlton, before all of the other people who have been bumped beat you to it!
Unfortunately this was a points booking and all of the standard rooms at the Carlton are long gone.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 7:06 am

Unfortunately this was a points booking and all of the standard rooms at the Carlton are long gone.
Since you have points locked up, I would suggest reaching out to Diamond Desk/Help Desk to see if they have any insight. I think the existing bookings have gone to some form of purgatory where they no longer exist for practical purposes, but they haven’t been cancelled yet. Your points won’t be released back to you until it’s actually cancelled and that could be just before your stay. Even then, you may have to get some assistance to make sure you get them back.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:48 pm

Wow. My reservation just reappeared on the app.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:08 pm

Wow. My reservation just reappeared on the app.
Mine too. Perhaps someone pulled the plug too early on the website. I’m hoping the reservation is honored but I also don’t want a stay that results in “surprise - you get an under construction Curio at WA prices”. I plan to reach out to the hotel directly to see if I can get any information.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hugolover
As I predicted 9 months ago, the Caley will become a franchised Curio. Hilton really can’t do luxury…as we all know so it’s getting downgraded.

What a flop.
Aren't the new owners to blame for this decision? And the prior owner for lack of investment? I'm sure Hilton would have preferred to continue collecting the higher fees that WA branding commands.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:36 am

I reached out to the hotel directly and was told they migrated servers last week, which lead to the website going down and some reservations disappearing briefly. They assured me my booking is still confirmed and all hotel facilities will be fully operational for my stay in late April.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:34 am

Having read the recent posts on this hotel, I know how some of you are down on the Queen Deluxe room.

However, I just want you to all know that the hotel has seemingly just released standard award availability thru September 2024 at the very least, including every day during the Fringe Festival as well as every day in July, so it is even showing lower rates than any hotel in the area on many days, and for single days too, rather than a weekend requirement. I, myself was able to secure a 1 night Saturday arrival!

So, I thought you all would like to know in order to be able to BOOK AWAY!!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by COLINDAD
Having read the recent posts on this hotel, I know how some of you are down on the Queen Deluxe room.

However, I just want you to all know that the hotel has seemingly just released standard award availability thru September 2024 at the very least, including every day during the Fringe Festival as well as every day in July, so it is even showing lower rates than any hotel in the area on many days, and for single days too, rather than a weekend requirement. I, myself was able to secure a 1 night Saturday arrival!

So, I thought you all would like to know in order to be able to BOOK AWAY!!
My reservation for July still comes up at "blank" when I pull it up in app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.