Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Austin Airport {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I didn't have the opportunity to ask when Chad got rude with me.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:50 am

25000 points seems way out of line to me. You missed two hours of sleep, and although that is incredibly annoying, you should have asked to be moved to a different room. Perhaps as a previous poster said, a partial discount on your room. Sometimes on travel stuff just happens. It's part of travel.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Why do people wait until after they've left the property to initiate a complaint (or resolve) an issue?? I don't understand that.

What hotel was this? Give us complete information. This might be a property that FT'ers have reported has bad customer service.

My opinion is you don't deserve compensation, since you stayed in the room - even after the agent hung up on you. You could have called again and spoke with a different person or gone downstairs and requested a move.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:26 am

Moving to a different room after having been asleep for 1 1/2 hours could also have taken two hours of time. If the hotel had been one to offer the satisfaction guarantee OP would have been given a refund. The 25000 points seems to me to be equal to that amount of compensation.

With the explanation that the sound was reverberating through the building, this can not be the first time that the hotel has had guests disturbed by the music of a private party. The hotel should soundproof their ballroom space or require lower levels of music.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum
If you stay the entire night in the same room, fail to request a room change, and send a fax four days after the stay, the hotel is unlikely to comply with your compensation request.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
I agree with the poster this time..Dont we go to hotels so we can get some sleep?..I would just to not pay for the room..
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I agree with earlier posters, I have been at this hotel when a party was playing. I requested a higher room, which was honored, and it reduced but did not take away the noise problem. I called one more time, spoke to the MOD and he volunteered a smaller amount (10K) as compensation. I took it and ran, as it by this point had become white noise.

25K may be a tad aggressive, but the bigger question is... who in the world would have a wedding reception at a airport hotel! Tacky!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Why do people wait until after they've left the property to initiate a complaint (or resolve) an issue?? I don't understand that.

What hotel was this? Give us complete information. This might be a property that FT'ers have reported has bad customer service.

My opinion is you don't deserve compensation, since you stayed in the room - even after the agent hung up on you. You could have called again and spoke with a different person or gone downstairs and requested a move.
Appreciate the input, but did you read the post? Hotel is identified clearly.

FWIW, at midnight, I believe I spoke with the one and only ranking staff member at the hotel.

After all responses, here are my thoughts:
1. I didn't miss out on two hours, but three hours of sleep...three out of seven.

2. I was paying for, of all odd things, the ability to sleep in a hotel room. Not be part of a party or listen to someone's music.

3. Arguing with Chad at midnight when he'd already hung up on me didn't seem all that productive.

4. Those of you that woudl go for a % discount when, again, you pay for a room to sleep in but cannot sleep in...what logic do you follow? Not sleeping gets 50% off...how bad does it have to be to get 100% off?

5. Yes indeed...airport hotel reception = tacky!

6. Moving rooms at 11:00 p.m. or 1:00 a.m. should not be necessary and even if so, is not something I would consider to be an adequate solution.

My last resort will be to call the GM and ask in person, then perhaps take it up with my credit card company. I'm pretty much thinking of this in a 'what's right' way vs. lining my pockets.

Btw, I wish some of you folks were my customers...I could sell you some stuff that doesn't work, then replace it with some stuff that doesn't work and say 'screw you' if you fail to tell me it doesn't work in a reasonable time period!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:54 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dingo
I sent the GM a fax asking for 25,000 HHonors points. That is how many are needed to get a free night at the hotel and since my company paid for the stay a comped rooom does me little good personally.

Is this asking too much? I sent the fax on Tuesday and haven't heard a thing. If it is not unreasonable, what should my next step be?
Your request sounds most reasonable, given all the circumstances.

If you do not hear back from the property directly, call Hilton Guest Assistance department, which will likely provide you with a certificate valid for a 1-night stay at virtually any Hilton in the US. After you use such a certificate, the resulting room charge will be billed-back to the original hotel.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
When I stayed at the ES Fallsview in Niagara Falls I was kept awake by a band playing next door at the Copa Cabana restaurant. It was so loud that it bothered me on the 30th floor. I can't imagine what the poor folks on the lower floors did.

In my case, there was really nothing the hotel could have done aside from moving me to the falls side (ha!) where the noise of the falls might have drowned it out. In any event, the noise stopped at 11pm so I did manage to get a good night's sleep.

In this case, I would have asked for a room change to a higher floor. Then, since I couldn't sleep, I would have drafter a letter to Hilton management suggesting that since people expect to sleep in hotel rooms that they should prohibit bands/deejays after midnight.

Sorry about your missed sleep. In the future, you might pack a pair of earplugs. They come in handy on airplanes, too.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Recreation
Sorry about your missed sleep. In the future, you might pack a pair of earplugs. They come in handy on airplanes, too.
The OP said he tried his Bose headphones, but they did not solve the problem. I assume they were the noise cancelling model.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm with KVS on this one - and definitely in spades if this was a business stay as well. Not quite good enough for a "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel" PowerPoint, but a hotel one chooses for a good sleep where one can not sleep?
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:09 am

They were in fact noise cancelling...just not this type of noise cancelling!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 3:22 am

Programs: AS Gold, United, Southwest RR, AA, Starwood, Hilton
Dingo: Having stayed at this hotel in the past and knowing the layout of the hotel, I sympathize with you totally. Perhaps you can let us know if your complaint is ever resolved. Although I have a feeling they will do something to compensate you.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dingo
They were in fact noise cancelling...just not this type of noise cancelling!
I have both noise cancelling headphones and earplugs. The latter blocks out noise to the extent that they'd be kind of dangerous in the event of a hotel fire....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.