Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City {US-PA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City {US-PA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2001, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City {US-PA}

Any comments about this property? The location looks great, just a few blocks from where I need to be. Interested in any HHGold experiences, too. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2001, 1:13 am
DOC 2 BE

Stayed there over New Year's, All in all, I liked the hotel.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 03-11-2001).]

Old Feb 21, 2001, 11:24 am

Was there in January and got the drink/breakfast chits. Gold upgrade to a large corner room, but nothing really that special about the room. I wasn't impressed with the complimentary breakfast, but hey it was free.

The hotel is next to the Reading Terminal Market where there are lots of food vendors.

The airport train stops at the station a block away from the hotel. I used it to get back to the PHL airport. Very convenient and inexpensive.

I'd stay at this property again.

[This message has been edited by El Cochinito (edited 02-21-2001).]
Old Apr 20, 2001, 9:52 am

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia

Does any one have any comments on this Philadelphia Hilton? I am particularly interested in a junior suite. Do they have other suites? How would you compare it with the Doubletree? Gracias.

Esteban
Old Apr 20, 2001, 10:16 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Doubletee represents good value and location!
Old Apr 20, 2001, 10:41 am

Esteban -- You may want to read these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001498.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001261.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000906.html
Old Apr 23, 2001, 2:33 pm

Eugene,

Thanks very much for the referal to the threads.

ESteban
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: MP
Philly HGI downtown: what parking?

We are planning to spend couple of days in Philladelphia (doing mostly historic sites) and I booked a room at HGI in downtown. We are planning to drive to Philly. The website says self-parking is $20/night. What kind of parking is that? Hotel parking? I know that HGI is connected to the convention center, so my guess is that there should be plenty of parking available in the area. Is there a better/cheaper parking option when staying at this HGI?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:02 am

As I recall, the HGI parking is a garage connected to the hotel and shared with the convention center. I put my in-laws there (the hotel, not the garage) about a year or so ago, and I don't remember them having any problems with the garage.

If you're looking for other parking option in the area, there are a few Philadelphia Parking Authority lots nearby. Check out the PPA's Web site at Philapark.org. It's got a feature where you can put in an address and it will list the 10 or so closest lots, their size, distance from the address, and the estimated cost for a few different parking scenarios.

In particular, you may want to consider the Parkway lot under Love Park/JFK Plaza. It's got a $7 weekend special, and it's underground. Downsides are that it's a few blocks from your hotel (it's bounded by 15th, JFK, 16th, and Arch) and it doesn't see all that much traffic on weekends so it's a bit creepy (but safe).
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:37 pm

HGI Phil / Parking

Originally Posted by v1rok
We are planning to spend couple of days in Philladelphia (doing mostly historic sites) and I booked a room at HGI in downtown. We are planning to drive to Philly. The website says self-parking is $20/night. What kind of parking is that? Hotel parking? I know that HGI is connected to the convention center, so my guess is that there should be plenty of parking available in the area. Is there a better/cheaper parking option when staying at this HGI?
I did a post on this a few months ago that you could find with a search. But to repeat it. The parking is in the convention center lot. There is an elevator off the far end of the lobby that goes up to the lot. I didn't feel that it was particularly secure and certainly would not recommend that a female park there alone at night. On the other hand, I didn't actually have any problem. Personally, I liked the DT and ES better and the HGI in Philadelphia, and this is said despite a problem I had (and my first original post) at the ES.

BJFly
Old Aug 19, 2005, 10:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
As BJfly said, the parking lot is connected to the hotel -- yet you have to walk outside to get from one to the other and it's a typical downtown parking garage. I'd agree it's not particularly a "safe" place, but probably the most convenient thing if you are staying there.

Regarding a preference for the ES -- I would not generally agree since the HGI is newer/cleaner, and the parking at the ES is only valet. Plus, the HGI is closer to Independence Hall, The Reading Terminal Market (http://www.readingterminalmarket.org), etc.

Regardless, there are plenty of parking options around downtown, but I'd just pay the $20 and be happy that you are close to the hotel, unless you'd like to walk for blocks to save a few bucks.

Have fun, and enjoy a Philly cheesesteak.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:13 am

Right next to Reading Market?

It's very late - sorry! I think you're speaking about the Hilton property right next to Reading Market? If so, there's a height restriction on the parking garage. Our Jeep Liberty fit but a full size SUV might be a tight fit.

The area's urban but the hotel is fine.

Buy one of the Amish handmade pretzels at the Market and you'll be in heaven.

-techlady
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question HGI Philadelphia City Center - Restaurants/Clubs within walking distance?

Mods, feel free to move to Mid-Atlantic, if appropriate - wanted to post here because I'm staying at a particular hotel.

I'll be heading to PHL this coming weekend for a bachelor party and will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn City Center (1100 Arch St).

Is off-street parking free/safe there on a weekend? I know they have a parking garage, but it's pretty expensive & was hoping that PHL was similar to DC in the sense that you can just street park on the weekends for free.

Also, any suggestions for a decent restaurant (American cuisine & nothing too fancy or slummy) within walking distance?

Also, any suggestions for a club within walking/stumbline distance? We were planning on going to Roxxy (www.theroxxyphilly.com) on either Friday or Saturday night & were hoping for something in the neighborhood on one of the nights (likely Friday as people are coming in at various times at night).

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Mods, feel free to move to Mid-Atlantic, if appropriate - wanted to post here because I'm staying at a particular hotel.

I'll be heading to PHL this coming weekend for a bachelor party and will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn City Center (1100 Arch St).

Is off-street parking free/safe there on a weekend? I know they have a parking garage, but it's pretty expensive & was hoping that PHL was similar to DC in the sense that you can just street park on the weekends for free.

Also, any suggestions for a decent restaurant (American cuisine & nothing too fancy or slummy) within walking distance?

Also, any suggestions for a club within walking/stumbline distance? We were planning on going to Roxxy (www.theroxxyphilly.com) on either Friday or Saturday night & were hoping for something in the neighborhood on one of the nights (likely Friday as people are coming in at various times at night).

Thanks in advance!
You won't find any free parking in that area but you will find many restaurants in all price ranges within walking distance. Many of the restaurants, though, are of ethnic origin. You're on the border of Chinatown.

If you could veer away from American food there's a great mid-priced fusion restaurant called Ly Michael's on N. 11th St.(near Arch) where you can order steak as an American would prepare it. It's within a block of the HGI. It has a nice bar and there's happy hour. Maggiano's, 12th and Filbert, is nearby also but that's Italian.

The Marriott, which is almost across the street, has an American restaurant and it is decent.

Then there's the good old fashioned Down Home Diner in the Reading Terminal restaurant....big menu, cheap American food that is pretty darn good for the price.

You won't have any problem finding food within walking distance. There are loads of restaurants in the area.

Bobette
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A great program on the Phila Parking Authority has been on tv for the past year and maybe there are some reruns around or on youtube.com. There is nil safe free parking in that area.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.