Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-VA} (was DTree)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-VA} (was DTree)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2001, 3:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Arrow The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-VA} (was DTree)

Has anyone stayed at this property?

I am wondering if it is a good property and what is available around it.

Thanks in advance.

William
Old Apr 3, 2001, 4:55 pm
DOC 2 BE

Wife stays there on business. Ask me what you want to know and I will ask her. She seems happy with it, but she gets in late and goes to court the next day and then is off home.

In fact, she will be there tonight!

Old Feb 5, 2002, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Any Hotel Roanoke experiences?

Has anyone been to the Doubletree in Roanoke, VA? What can I expect as a Gold for a stay later this month?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Old Feb 7, 2002, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I have stayed there twice in the past 6 months as Gold and both times I booked on-line. The first time I got a regular room, and access the the lounge on the first floor. It has fruit filled crepes and pastries, fruit, yogurt at breakfast, wine, cheese, snacks in the evening, and a computer with continual internet access. Not overly large but nice. The second time I put a note in the Comments section to offer an upgrade if available (thanks to FTer suggestions). I got in late, around midnight, and the desk clerk tried to give me an upgrade. However, she accidently gave me a key to a regular room which somebody else thought they had. Anyway it worked out, and I gave my suite to the other person since I was already settled. If I had paid more attention at check-in, I would have avoided the mix-up. I was not offered breakfast on either occasion, but I did not ask, since I had the lounge snacks and this is more than I eat normally anyway. Also bottled water was available upon request in the lounge.

The hotel is in a historic building, so it does not look like a typical Doubletree. They have the cookies though! The hotel is attached to the convention center and also has a walkway to downtown, which I usually take. Roanoke is a very nice town, and I hope to be able to stay the weekend sometime to enjoy the quaint shopping areas.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2002, 6:40 pm

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is one of my favorite hotels. I held a conference there in August and was treated wonderfully. Of course, since I was the planner I got a choice room. I stayed again on a reward stay over the Thanksgiving holiday. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite. My son loved having his own room to play Nintendo in. They generally don't offer breakfast, but they have a great dining room and it is worth laying out your own cash for it. In fact, the dining room is one of the best dining establishments in the valley. If you're threre at lunch time, try the peanut soup.

For food/entertainment outside of the hotel, you can walk through a covered walkway to Center in the Square which has a wide array of restaurants.

The building is a historic property and you will not believe it is a Doubletree.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 6:35 pm

Roanoke (VA) DT...Category 2 HHonors hotel?

Can anyone tell me how a HHonors hotel is actually rated by Hilton?
I just stayed at the DT Roanoke for a convention and it was a beautfully renovated hotel. It consisted of of friendly staff, a wonderful atmosphere, nice, clean rooms, a great lobby, and they performed very well for the actual convention, which consisted of over 300 people for 2 days. They could not have improved upon much all the way around.
I just looked on their site and they will be a category 2 come June. This from an Executive listing.
I also looked at another hotel I stayed in which I was NOT very pleased with, Hampton Inn Knoxville-I-75 North, and it is also listed at a category 2, from Opportunity. The same as the DT?, but with exterior corridors, mediocre rooms, and it was obviously renovated from another motel name.
Can I use their category listings as a reference for hotel quality or do I have to guess? These two hotels are deffinately not on the same level, but to Hilton they appear to be. What gives?
Old Mar 9, 2003, 6:52 am

There was a thread here a while back about the rating of hotels. I think it eas because the Hampton in Pearl, MS was a Cat 5.

I have stayed at both of the hotels in your post. The Hotel Roanoke is one of my favorite places. They really take care of the Diamonds there.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 7:00 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

DoubleTree Hotel Roanoke is awesome. Beautiful old building and a fantastic elegant restaurant too.

I was upgraded to some sort of junior suite when I was there. Not really a suite but a monsterously huge room. Excellent staff and I would go back without hesitation if the need arrises.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Mar 10, 2003, 4:04 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I have to add my $.02 about the Hotel Roanoke. I had a collegue on extended assignment in ROA and he choose to stay there for 5 months. Everyone knew him by name, of course, and everytime I am back they ask me about him. Fantastic staff!

On the last night he was there, they let him stay in the Presidential Suite for regular price. It has a bedroom, guestroom, two baths, fireplace, kitchenette, load of antiques and balcony access on the 6th floor. Very cool. He had a big party and was a little messy I'm afriad.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
cuzIcan-I think that the HH redemption rating is based on the average rates that they charge. If this is indeed the case I do not think that it is the best indicator of the quality of the hotel. Maybe the Hampton Inn has less competitors and can charge a higher price.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:12 am

I concur that this hotel is excellent. It is a truly grand old dame of a hotel that has been well maintained and is a joyous place to stay. I think it may be one of the best hotel properties in Roanoke. The Sunday brunch was top notch, killer bee. Would stay there again in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to anyone staying in the area. The service was top notch, felt like a 5 star resort rather than a double-tree. Most other double tree's I've stayed at have been ok, but nothing special, just a basic hotel. This hotel reminds me of the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec, or the Peabody Hotel in Memphis in that the hotel is well reknowned and it is somewhat of an attraction in its own right. If I recall correctly, the rate I paid last August was only $89 + tax, which was a steal considering how nice a property this is.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 2:15 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Just Had My Nicest Hilton Stay This Year -- DT Roanoke (VA)

What a magnificent hotel. The restaurant was fantastic. Friendly staff. Food and beverages in the HHonors lounge were free.

In addition there was a brand new Dell desktop in the lounge hooked up to a T-1 line.

All of this for $114/night.

Here's a link to an old thread re the same property:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/007005.html
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:29 pm

I concur that this hotel is very nice. By far the nicest DT I've seen. It is an old grand dame hotel that has been kept up in all its glory. The service is excellent and the Sunday brunch was quite good. The rooms tend to be a bit small because it is such an old hotel and that seems to have been the trend back then, but other than that minor fault, it is a wonderful hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 3:42 pm

People laugh when I tell them, but this is my FAVORITE Hotel in the Hilton chain. I know that Roanoke, VA is not the sexiest place in the world, but the service at this hotel is absolutely top drawer. I always get a free breakfast (and WHAT a breakfast!) as a Diamond. The Executive Level Rooms have free high speed Internet. The best time of year to be there is the holidays. The chill of the Blue Ridge nights and the Hotel Roanoke illuminated. I make a trip there each holiday with my bride.

A large portion of the Roanoke Valley proposed in the dining room of this grand hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.