Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Tucson Airport {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Tucson Airport {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Just as a point of reference this is the landlord requirements to provide heat in NYC:

HEAT SHEET
Heating Requirements for New York City
In effect October 1 to May 31

Time of Day If Outside Temp. is less than: Inside Temp must be more than:

6:00 am - 10:00 pm 55° 68°
10:00 pm - 6:00 am 40° 55°

Setting aside the fact that the hotel in not a landlord, I doubt Arizona requires a landlord to produce heat when the nighttime outside temp is in the 60's.

With a daytime high in the 80's how cold could the room possibly have been at night? Who keeps the AC on during the day when it is in the 80's then turns on the heat at night when the temps drop into the 60's.

Last edited by BrlDsguise; Feb 20, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

They are required to provide heat. They provided heat upon request. What are you suggesting that they violated again?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
With all due respect to the OP, it has been unusually warm in Arizona for the past 2.5 weeks. Temps in the 80's are not typical for February in Arizona (more like early April). That said, the hotel provided him with heat as requested.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This isn't that uncommon in hotels abroad. I've been in large European properties during unseasonably warm spring days when the AC had not yet been turned on for the season, and had to cool the room by opening the window. And I've been in a number of Asian properties (including the old Mandarin Oriental in Macau) that simply were not built with central heating, even though they were in cities that can get into the 40-50s F during the winter. Their solution? Space heater.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:21 pm

OP is being way too dramatic here IMO. I checked with Elsa...she says to "let it go, let it go, let it go." Stuff happens, and this isn't the only property with a "heat or cold" system; ES in Santa Ana is the same.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Short-stay properties (typically less than 30 days) are always exempted from landlord-tenant regulation. (And for good reason, otherwise it would require an unlawful detainer proceeding to remove a non-paying hotel guest.)

And the need for heat with outside temps in the low-60s is frankly unfathomable. As my mother used to say, "if you're cold, put a sweater on."

People will complain about anything.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not related to the specific property at hand, but some properties don't have both options. Some properties in Hawaii come to mind that don't have heating. The Breckenridge Doubletree doesn't have cooling, despite the warm summers.

Not related to Hilton, but some might be shocked that the Mall of America in Minneapolis doesn't have any heating equipment for the majority of the mall. The heat generation from lights, people, etc is enough that heating isn't needed, even in the coldest of temps.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I used to live in Tucson as a tenant. I had a terrible landlord that did violate the landlord-tenant act with multiple violations. But it's not an easy hurdle. My landlord wanted to charge me for the last couple months' rent when we moved out early after giving him notice due to his failure to make property repairs. He hired a lawyer but finally dropped the matter. I was ready to fight him in court.

The property did not deny heat to your room; they supplied a space heater which should have been adequate considering the weather. They met the requirements of the landlord-tenant act which doesn't apply in this case. If you reference s33-1308, Exclusions from this Chapter, you'll find the following exclusion: 4. Transient occupancy in a hotel, motel, or recreational lodging. http://www.azhousing.gov/azcms/uploa...nant%20Act.pdf

I'm not a lawyer, but your case would very likely be viewed as a frivolous lawsuit. If the property's owner decided to fight you, you could find yourself on the receiving end of a countersuit and end up paying a bunch of legal bills. Either way, your lawsuit would be immediately thrown out because the Landlord and Tenant Act doesn't apply.
Let it go.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:31 am

Should have called the whambulance.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
I am very much a So Cal wimp when it comes to cold
Unfortunately, that is not a category recognized by the Americans with Disabilities Act. So the hotel is under no legal obligation to treat you differently just because you are So Cal wimp when it comes to cold.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I think they provided you a heater?

I stayed at this place. It is old, and creepy. Especially the gates between the rooms and the parking lot if you opt not to cut through the lobby. And the way the openings between the side street facing the airport and the parking lot are chained off yet you can just walk right into the lot. I liked my room well enough but let's face it, the property is old and creepy. I was there last summer and the A/C was great.

Isn't there a newer HGI nearby? I am guessing it has heat or AC at the same time at your discretion. Why not stay there? Maybe because it is $20 or $30 more per night than the Doubletree? That was my reason...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Isn't there a newer HGI nearby? I am guessing it has heat or AC at the same time at your discretion. Why not stay there? Maybe because it is $20 or $30 more per night than the Doubletree? That was my reason...
While also an older property, I often stay at the Reid Park Doubletree, where the rooms in the main building have been refurbished, breakfast buffet is decent, rates are typically slightly more than the subject property. Mostly a factor of convenience, proximity to morning meetings.

The rates at the new HGI can vary greatly, as much as $50 more than the subject property.

I will try to remember to stay away from this property in the winter.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by storewanderer

Also a Hampton--3 Hilton properties within 5min of airport. DT Reid Park only 15min away also, just checked out of there yesterday after an enjoyable stay.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP is being way too dramatic here IMO. I checked with Elsa...she says to "let it go, let it go, let it go." Stuff happens, and this isn't the only property with a "heat or cold" system; ES in Santa Ana is the same.
Yeah, but that's unfair. The OP is from SoCal and Elsa is from Arendale, so the cold never bothered her anyway.

Mike

Last edited by mikeef; Feb 23, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Smile

After this reviews I have decided to change my booking to the Hilton Tucson East.
Thanks for the updates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.