Wiki Posts
Search

Most efficient/enjoyable way

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Most efficient/enjoyable way

Hello all,

I'm currently a HHonors Diamond member with approximately 184,000 points total points. I've accumulated these points over the last year through extensive travel with the military. I am planning on a trip this August with the significant other and I was hoping to glean some tips and wisdom from the collective here.

I would like to know the most efficient and enjoyable locations to spend these points. Thank you for any and all help.

shanks
Old May 26, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by shanks.k
Hello all,

I'm currently a HHonors Diamond member with approximately 184,000 points total points. I've accumulated these points over the last year through extensive travel with the military. I am planning on a trip this August with the significant other and I was hoping to glean some tips and wisdom from the collective here.

I would like to know the most efficient and enjoyable locations to spend these points. Thank you for any and all help.

shanks
That's not a real easy question to answer.
How many nights would you like to have? What are your interests (beach, mountains, city, etc.)? You looking to stay in the US or visit other country(s)?
You driving or flying?
Old May 26, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

I just realized I did post a fairly unconstrained question.

I'll have approximately 3 weeks available for travel. I'm planning on staying in the US someplace on the beach. So in my view that would include California or the Florida coast. I'd most likely fly as to cut down on travel time.

So I guess to rephrase my original question. I'd like to know the best hotels in California or Florida. Obviously hotel expense is inversely related to length of stay at this point.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
August may be tough - tougher in CA than FL because of weather, possibly - but look and keep looking. Be sure to check the pointstretchers pages - these often offer very good value, and they change quarterly.

Look at the VIP and AXON awards (the later if you have an American Express card of any kind - if not, you may want to look at the HHonors-earning AMEX cards, one no-fee the other the Surpass card - both of which earn bonus points for signing up and for spending in grocery stores, drugstores, etc. etc.

Don't forget there are other places with nice beaches (but August can be disrupted by weather, and the USWS says there may be a greater number of tropical storms and hurricanes expected this season). Florida upstate, Alabama, Mississippi - all have nice beaches, and OR has some spectacular (but definitely not warm water) beaches and scenery, etc. (And Santa Monica today has posted warnings about high bacteria counts off of its beaches - YMMV!)

And check military properties if you are eligible - no HHonors points use or earning, military, retired and military-disability retired members, sometimes even those who served honorably, are entitled to some very decent discounts and offers. Please check this thread I started today.

Putting one of these (or more) together with HHonors points (or waiting to accumulate more of those to spend them later on a VIP stay) can stretch your holiday bucks.

Last edited by JDiver; May 26, 2011 at 1:29 pm Reason: add link to military resorts and lodging thread
Old May 26, 2011, 1:41 pm

My husband (Diamond) and I have used HHonors points for a week at the Hilton San Diego - Harbor Island and a week at the Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines. We loved them both, but then we both love San Diego anyway.
Old May 26, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Silver, National Exec Elite
Whatever you decide, make sure you call the Diamond Desk to book as opposed to doing it online. I do every time I book point and they save me at up to 50,000. Play around with a few destinations on the site, put in the point values then call the Desk and see if there is a difference.

Have fun!
Old May 26, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
GLON or AXON redemptions...
Old May 27, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by JDiver
Look at the VIP and AXON awards (the later if you have an American Express card of any kind
I understood that AXON awards were only available to cardmembers with US-issued Hilton HHonors American Express cards (Surpass or not).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.