Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors Visa/ 40,000 Bonus Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Citi 40,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points after $1,000 spend in 4 months:

Link Here
Old Apr 25, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
...and no annual fee. Looks like a great deal. Thanks, OP.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
hmm... just switched to Surpass and am working on completing the requirements to get the extra 40k on top of the new 9 pts/dollar.

$1000 spend is easy and no fee means you can get your points and then hack the card up when you're done with it.

Might have to apply!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:19 am

Seems like a good deal, think I might do it. I currently own the Amex Hilton card (the one without an annual fee) Seems like this card is comparable to the AmEx card. Only difference I can identify (from memory) is the Amex can get you gold if you spend > $20k.

Applying and spending $1000 will be a nice easy 40,000 points.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jimmayz
Seems like a good deal, think I might do it. I currently own the Amex Hilton card (the one without an annual fee) Seems like this card is comparable to the AmEx card. Only difference I can identify (from memory) is the Amex can get you gold if you spend > $20k.

Applying and spending $1000 will be a nice easy 40,000 points.
The hilton am ex for everyday spending is a better deal. Citi only gives you 2 pts/$ and Am Ex is 3 pts/$, in addition to some categories like cellphones and grocery store and gas purchases being 6 pts/$.

The Citi card is nice for those merchants that don't accept am ex.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Some of the threads about Citi checking accounts say you get a 1099 for miles. Does the same thing happen with HHonors points?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DAS02135
Some of the threads about Citi checking accounts say you get a 1099 for miles. Does the same thing happen with HHonors points?
As you say, those threads are about checking accounts. I don't think Citi is sending out 1099s for credit card miles/points. Certainly I didn't receive one for my AA MC.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
How does the 40K compare to other bonuses offered on this card?

When I searched for "Citi Hilton HHonors", I didn't find too much about other offers. It looks like 30k for 600 spend is the norm, but I cannot tell what other higher bonuses (if any) they've offered.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
Question Can it be churned

Does anybody have experience churnning this card (I think it does not say in T&Cs for 1st time applicants). How long to wait after cancelling one?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IntFF
Does anybody have experience churnning this card (I think it does not say in T&Cs for 1st time applicants). How long to wait after cancelling one?
True churning, as with all Citi cards, is not possible. Don't know how long you need to wait to be a "new account".
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DAS02135
Are you sure it is for miles and not for $ for opening a new account??

As a CPA, I can tell you miles aren't taxable. In fact it would be hard for citi or anyo ther company to put a value on the miles to tax them. I have seen some people on here value hilton points at 1/2 cent each and I get a value of well over a penny each on them. There is also the issue you might not get ANY value out of them. If you don't use the miles and they expire or you never use them, you are getting NO VALUE out of them.

If they give you a cash bonus of over $10 for opening an account they typically treat that as interest and issue a 1099-INT over it. I have had that happen with chase and another institution before with new account premiums. But in those cases you ARE receiving the benefit since the cash went in your account and the amount of compensation is very easy to determine.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Are you sure it is for miles and not for $ for opening a new account??

As a CPA, I can tell you miles aren't taxable. In fact it would be hard for citi or anyo ther company to put a value on the miles to tax them. I have seen some people on here value hilton points at 1/2 cent each and I get a value of well over a penny each on them. There is also the issue you might not get ANY value out of them. If you don't use the miles and they expire or you never use them, you are getting NO VALUE out of them.

If they give you a cash bonus of over $10 for opening an account they typically treat that as interest and issue a 1099-INT over it. I have had that happen with chase and another institution before with new account premiums. But in those cases you ARE receiving the benefit since the cash went in your account and the amount of compensation is very easy to determine.
don't mean to hijack this farther off topic, but yes i understand that Citi will send a 1099 for opening a citi checking account where you get a bonus. i just opened mine and my bonus will be 25K after I do the applicable tasks to get the miles. from what i understand citi values the 25K miles at some ridiculous $ conversion rate. i just found out about this yesterday, not real thrilled. citi does not send 1099 for credit card bonuses, just for checking. i did checking deal with chase last year for about 25k continental miles and did not receive 1099. i did do bank of the west deal though for free ipod and they did send me a 1099 for the value of the ipod. i guess the question is for you...the cpa...should i not report that 1099 on my taxes? i dont know if that is possible since doesnt the irs receive a copy?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koctail
don't mean to hijack this farther off topic, but yes i understand that Citi will send a 1099 for opening a citi checking account where you get a bonus. i just opened mine and my bonus will be 25K after I do the applicable tasks to get the miles. from what i understand citi values the 25K miles at some ridiculous $ conversion rate. i just found out about this yesterday, not real thrilled. citi does not send 1099 for credit card bonuses, just for checking. i did checking deal with chase last year for about 25k continental miles and did not receive 1099. i did do bank of the west deal though for free ipod and they did send me a 1099 for the value of the ipod. i guess the question is for you...the cpa...should i not report that 1099 on my taxes? i dont know if that is possible since doesnt the irs receive a copy?
If you are required to file (some people don't have to if they have a very low amount of income), YES report it. The IRS will get the data. That is VERY ODD they would send them for miles.

Just curious as to how they are going to report it on the 1099. I am assuming they will issue a 1099-Misc.

Airline miles shouldn't be taxed. LIke I said it's possible you will never use them and therefore have no benefit from them. If citi is 1099ing miles received as a promo then why aren't they 1099ing miles earned through credit card usage????
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I just applied (and got instant approval) for a deal that yields 50000-62500: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...ard/71-1000-78
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I just applied (and got instant approval) for a deal that yields 50000-62500: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...ard/71-1000-78
You have applied for the AMEX card. Many of us have the Amex Surpass card and are therefore not eligible for that card.

Many of us have not had the Visa card and that is why this offer is interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.