Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What if I earn diamond before my already existing reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Based on unexpected travel, I will become a diamond shortly. I already have several existing reservations (some award stays, others cash pay) that I made when I was Gold. Will those reservations be "updated" both for diamond "perks" at the hotels and diamond-level points credit when the stays post?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you status when you check in is Diamond, you're eligible for Diamond perks. If you status is Diamond when the stay/points post, then you'll get the Diamond bonus points.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
You should get the 50% diamond point bonus on all stays after you reach diamond, regardless of your status at the time of booking.

The 50% bonus points is about the only perk you will receive as far as on site property benefits go, except for the lounge access if they have an Exec lounge and you aren't upgraded to that floor. If you are staying at any properties with a lounge and dont' get upgraded to that floor, you will receive the benefit ot the lounge access as well regardless of your status when you booked.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
there is nothing you need to do. Once Hilton gets your status to diamond (it may take a few days after you reach the required nights, stays, whatever) their system will have you as a diamond when you check in. You do not need to do anything else for it to change.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Unlike certain other chains, Hilton will always honour your current status at time of stay.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Unlike certain other chains, Hilton will always honour your current status at time of stay.
the question is if a persons acct will show the new higher level that they earned. So if my stay last night put me into being Diamond but the stay doesnt get posted till say Weds then any Stay between now and when its posted will still be done @ Gold level, but since tonights stay should post after yesterdays then the person should get the 50% bonus pts as a Diamond when tonights stay posts, just a person shouldnt think that they will beable to get the Diamond benefits till HH makes them Diamond

Also its a good thing once offically a Diamond to make sure when checking in on reses made before being a Diamond that it shows as Diamond and not Gold
Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by craz
the question is if a persons acct will show the new higher level that they earned. So if my stay last night put me into being Diamond but the stay doesnt get posted till say Weds then any Stay between now and when its posted will still be done @ Gold level, but since tonights stay should post after yesterdays then the person should get the 50% bonus pts as a Diamond when tonights stay posts, just a person shouldnt think that they will beable to get the Diamond benefits till HH makes them Diamond

Also its a good thing once offically a Diamond to make sure when checking in on reses made before being a Diamond that it shows as Diamond and not Gold
I had a stay around a week after I made Diamond way back in early 2003, as my status took a while to update Hilton gave me a faxed letter confirming the new status, it may be an idea to follow up in this way and get some insurance against IT lags etc.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I wouldn't count on the interim hotels recognizing status. I don't usually approve of "announcing one's self" as a Diamond, but if they don't actually acknowledge it specifically, I'd remind them with "My status changed after I booked, so I wanted to confirm ...."
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Regarding Hilton pts posting, it's all about what you are at checkout and thus when it posts.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I would ask HHonors for a confirmation by fax or to delete and re-enter my HHonors account number once again. When I first reached Diamond a few years back and stayed at the Trafalgar a few weeks later they still had me as Silver... (I jumped from Silver to Gold to Diamond rather quickly).
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I would ask HHonors for a confirmation by fax or to delete and re-enter my HHonors account number once again. When I first reached Diamond a few years back and stayed at the Trafalgar a few weeks later they still had me as Silver... (I jumped from Silver to Gold to Diamond rather quickly).
But there is a big difference between silver and gold or diamond. Outside the 50% bonus points, there is really no onsite benefit difference unless the OP is at a property with an executive lounge and doesn't get upgraded to that floor. Unlike Airlines, Hilton doesn't seem to give room upgrades out in order of loyalty or room rates. I have been at properties before with others that weren't diamonds that have been given nicer rooms than me simply because they checked in earlier.

If the OP's status isn't showing diamond when he checks out after his first stay as a diamond, and it's an expensive stay, then I would call the diamond desk and ask for a point adjustment and I am sure they will do that on the spot.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
But there is a big difference between silver and gold or diamond.
I am not sure what you're trying to say.

I would want for my status to be listed as Diamond when I check-in so that I get all the perks. As I understand the OP wants the same.
When I first reached Diamond I checked in with the hotel and they had me as Silver. I was not upgraded; nor breakfast was offered to me. It al changed when I pointed out that I was Diamond and they called Hhonors to confirm. It was too late to upgrade but they gave me breakfast, a nice bottle of wine in teh room and a couple of drink coupons for the bar as an apology.
So, it is important that the correct status is displayed in their system at check-in.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Unlike Airlines, Hilton doesn't seem to give room upgrades out in order of loyalty or room rates.
From my experience, I think the majority of properties review all reservations in the morning/night before and pre-assign rooms. Status is important.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am not sure what you're trying to say.
If you are a gold and diamond there isn't much difference between on property benefits unless there is an Executive lounge and you don't get upgraded to that floor.

There is a LOT of difference between silver and gold with onsite benefits. You get the free breakfast and upgrade (if available) and free interent.

A gold member realizes a lot more value of onproperty benefits over a silver member, than a diamond does over a gold with on property perks.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:12 am

jamesteroh, I now see what you meant

I failed to notice that the OP was already a Gold member...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.