Wiki Posts
Search

New Southwest Credit Math

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
New Southwest Credit Math

Has anyone done the math to see if it make sense to get Southwest credit when booking for points/miles or if we should be switching to another airline or just Hilton points. Now you get 600 southwest points for each booking how (previously was .5 credits).
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by skylane
Has anyone done the math to see if it make sense to get Southwest credit when booking for points/miles or if we should be switching to another airline or just Hilton points. Now you get 600 southwest points for each booking how (previously was .5 credits).
If you have any of the "old" RR credits then you can transfer the new points to the old system to finish out awards. This means 1200 new points for one old credit- which is the same rate as before. I'll be finishing out my current award and then will reevaluate.

The new system seems to depend very much on the flights that you would use for the SW ticket. If you were flying cheap (in $) flights before on your award tix, then you may actually gain from the new system. However, my typical award flight has now been adjusted such that it will take me roughly 40% more HH stays.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, US Plat, Hertz PC
It's a fairly straight forward conversion under the new SW system. If you earn 600 points per fixed stay, it translates to either:

600 points / 60 "Wanna Get Away" = $10
600 points / 100 "Anytime" = $6
600 points / 120 "Business Select" = $5

http://www.southwest.com/rapidreward...50A5AEE42F309B

I'm not too familiar with the old system, but if the old one offered 0.5 credit per stay and it took 8 credits to book a one way, then the 16 stays would be equivalent to 9600 points:

9600/60 = $160 Wanna Get Away
9600/100 = $96 Anytime
9600/120 = $80 Business Select

So if you could redeem for a Wanna Get Away and find a cheap flight, you might be able to get a roundtrip, where you normally would've only had a one way. However, if you have to book at the more costly Business Select level (for the same seat) than you are probably getting the short end of the stick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.