Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Getting Diamond and Getting Pregnant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid

The official announcement of the 2011 Q1 promo is indeed a bummer in my household (well I don't think my husband cares much but it's tragic to me). Right now we are trying to conceive and if successful I'll not be travelling after early May (I don't travel in the summer months and the fall I'd be out on Maternity). I'll have 36 or so Q1 and Q2 nights so I can easily retain Diamond by breaking up my stays. I could probably talk the husband into a summer weekend in one of the larger cities within a reasonable drive of home if necessary.

I really don't mind the hotel hop since there are two really good properties in the rural area I frequent. I'd greedily like to see them both survive in the less than stellar market they reside in. But, of course, the Q1 promo really discourages this. At best I will only get double points short of blizzard conditions.

I haven't done the math yet as to which would net me more points: Q1 promo followed by Gold or blowing off the Q1 promo and shooting for diamond requal. My annual spend is about $7000 (just low enough for an apartment not to be worth it).

What would y'all do?
a) Stop trying to concieve and hope for a better promo next January.
b) Blow off Q1 promo and requal as Diamond.
c) Go for the Q1 promo and decide baby + Gold in 2012 > Diamond in 2012.
d) Whine all Q1 to anyone who within earshot.
e) None of the above, which you will elaborate on.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
The official announcement of the 2011 Q1 promo is indeed a bummer in my household (well I don't think my husband cares much but it's tragic to me). Right now we are trying to conceive and if successful I'll not be travelling after early May (I don't travel in the summer months and the fall I'd be out on Maternity). I'll have 36 or so Q1 and Q2 nights so I can easily retain Diamond by breaking up my stays. I could probably talk the husband into a summer weekend in one of the larger cities within a reasonable drive of home if necessary.

I really don't mind the hotel hop since there are two really good properties in the rural area I frequent. I'd greedily like to see them both survive in the less than stellar market they reside in. But, of course, the Q1 promo really discourages this. At best I will only get double points short of blizzard conditions.

I haven't done the math yet as to which would net me more points: Q1 promo followed by Gold or blowing off the Q1 promo and shooting for diamond requal. My annual spend is about $7000 (just low enough for an apartment not to be worth it).

What would y'all do?
D).

What would your travel in 2012 look like?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2

What would y'all do?
For my own sanity, I have to assume this post is tongue in cheek ;-)
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by trm2
D).

What would your travel in 2012 look like?
Good question! Generally I do 30-ish nights Jan-May and another 30-ish August-December. There is a 50-50 chance that it would be business as usual in 2012. Of course, I may decide to not to go back until mid-way through 2012.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by CALimey
For my own sanity, I have to assume this post is tongue in cheek ;-)
The title certainly got my attention! A million thoughts were going thru my head as it opened on what happened to the OP.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
The title certainly got my attention! A million thoughts were going thru my head as it opened on what happened to the OP.
I thought this was an elaborate way to say "I achieved Diamond and it's left me feeling like I've been effed."

To the OP: Definitely D. Status is relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Especially if you and your husband are successful in your endeavors.

(And, there's always babymoons).
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:41 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's probably easier to conceive than to re-qualify, since it likely won't take, erm, 28, uh, "stays" to conceive.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yeah, I was about to say "there are two entirely different actions required for each." Though cblaisd puts an interesting perspective on things.

Seriously, having friends who have had, er, "conceptual challenges" in their relationships, you may want to take advantage of age, learning exactly how easy / difficult it may be, etc. and let the status chips fall where they may for a bit. Status can be regained - the treasure of the moment, not so much. (These are the instances that remind me how valuable HHonors Mutual Fund Accounts really are; so sorry they killed 'em off.)

And you could always change strategies - with the number of nights, you could do what we plebes may be forced to resort to, a bit of mattress hopping to make the magic 28 stays.

Whichever, it's you and your partner's decision, and I am sure we all wish you the absolute best.

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:31 pm

Only you can decide if Diamond status is more important that a baby.

I say try for the baby and then whine about the Q1 promotion.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
You could bring your husband along on the trips and try to conceive while scoring diamond status!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta 1M, SM Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
You could bring your husband along on the trips and try to conceive while scoring diamond status!
In international football (soccer), they call that a 'brace' - scoring twice in one match!

One short of a 'hat trick' - which in this case would be Diamond status, action required to conceive, and success in the conception process...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by kgbreb
In international football (soccer), they call that a 'brace' - scoring twice in one match!

One short of a 'hat trick' - which in this case would be Diamond status, action required to conceive, and success in the conception process...
She could end up with diamond status + twins! That would be a hat trick for sure.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:54 pm

I'd go with Option E

Get a dog

In the overall scheme of things they are much less trouble. A dog's love is unconditional and you won't have any problems with smart talk.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL, AT, HH Diamond, PC Plat AMB
I would say that if you even have to ask, then skip the kids...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once you get a kid you'll hit $40K spending on Surpass AMEX in no time - no worries with requalification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.