Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Slow "Hi-Speed" Internet in almost every Honors property

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slow "Hi-Speed" Internet in almost every Honors property

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I stayed at an ES this week and the "free" HS connection was slow as molasses. I too gave up and tethered to my BB.

To add insult to injury, there was a "buy now" icon to upgrade your connection speed for JUST $14.95
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by chix
I stayed at an ES this week and the "free" HS connection was slow as molasses. I too gave up and tethered to my BB.

To add insult to injury, there was a "buy now" icon to upgrade your connection speed for JUST $14.95
I thought all gold and diamonds were to get the highest speed for free if there were two options available.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought all gold and diamonds were to get the highest speed for free if there were two options available.
Sort of ...

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/about/gold.do

Complimentary High-Speed Internet Access

While registered at any hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands, Gold HHonors Members will enjoy complimentary high-speed internet access. If two or more high speed offerings are available at a hotel, the Gold HHonors guest is provided access to a higher connection speed offering. This benefit is offered only for in-room access.
This does leave it open to not having the highest speed if there are three or more high speed offerings.

What it really means is the Gold/Diamond should not get the lowest speed in these cases.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MrsGG
0.44mps is not slow.

The majority of broadband in many countries is under 2mbps - so to get 0.44 on a shared connection is not poor.
Um, well, I guess I dont really care about the majority of broadband in many countries. I'm talking about the grand ol' US of A.

I think another poster hit it on the head when they spoke of the franchise agreement. Somewhere in this needs to be adequate coverage for them to continuing advertising "free hi-speed internet". Its just a fallacy in many locations.

I've often left my hotel room, and gone to my local Starbucks to get faster internet... Last night I got thrown out of one because they were closing and I was trying to finish up work.

I just think to continue to attract business clientele (i.e. the profit sector of these hotels), they need to offer services that cater to business clientele, and REAL hi-speed internet has got to be a priority, no?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Originally Posted by cordelli
I'm hoping this is one of those things where the lower case m means something different than the upper case M (not common to distinguish in the US), as 20 mbps is incredibly fast, it's faster for example than the base priced FIOS plan. Most people would kill for that kind of speed, and even if they got it, their wireless connection was probably running slower than that.
Just a note that there is no significance with the upper or lower case 'm'. It's the b that makes the difference. Mb=megabits while MB=megabytes....BIG difference between the two when talking about throughput.

Peace!!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: RR,HHonors,Skymiles
Stayed at HI in Southport,NC in September. Property was half full, and speed was 4.0 to occaisionally 8.0 mbps. Complained to manager when checking out and she siad that was normal for their area. I recieved a pleasent surprise on credit card statement of entire cost reimbursed as 100% satisfaction guarantee was granted. I didn't want a credit, just faster connection. I called the property direct after the credit and they said since a complaint was made they wanted to make it right and asked me to return. I think I will give them another chance and know the internet will be slow. Seemed to be pro-active and I appreciate that,
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by AmeliaIsland Traveler
Stayed at HI in Southport,NC in September. Property was half full, and speed was 4.0 to occaisionally 8.0 mbps. Complained to manager when checking out and she siad that was normal for their area. I recieved a pleasent surprise on credit card statement of entire cost reimbursed as 100% satisfaction guarantee was granted. I didn't want a credit, just faster connection. I called the property direct after the credit and they said since a complaint was made they wanted to make it right and asked me to return. I think I will give them another chance and know the internet will be slow. Seemed to be pro-active and I appreciate that,
4 to 8 megabits is more that enough bandwidth to work on a VPN or watch streaming netflix on high quality. Nothing to complain about there.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by EasyRhino
At this very moment I'm in a property (I'll name names, the Hilton Lisle/Naperville) where the wifi is, frankly, jacked up, and doesn't work on the top half of the floors in the hotel.

It's maddening, and is going to cause me to stay elsewhere on my next trip.
Been there several times... have yet to experience good wifi service.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Stayed at HI in Southport,NC in September. Property was half full, and speed was 4.0 to occaisionally 8.0 mbps.
Originally Posted by teCh0010
4 to 8 megabits is more that enough bandwidth to work on a VPN or watch streaming netflix on high quality. Nothing to complain about there.
Yeah... I'll take 4Mbps any day over the .44Mbps I had in Boston. I'd even pay extra money for 4Mbps.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:26 am

You have got to be kidding me, complaining about 4Mbps geeze
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

But they're also thinking of creating a pricing model where those who hog the bandwidth (watching movies of any type, for example) will get a pop-up after a certain amount of time saying, you've used X & if you would like to continue using X, please click her to pay a fee of Y. Then they have the option to do so or not, and the folk who aren't downloading movies or whatever aren't being penalized....
^^^

I once called a hotel's wifi tech support when I could not get an adequate connection.

The tech said "Here's the problem... someone is apparently downloading movies" and he shut down their connection.

My problem went away.

Ok... you folks who think it is OK, that you have a right, to hog the hotel's bandwidth... flame away.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Um, well, I guess I dont really care about the majority of broadband in many countries. I'm talking about the grand ol' US of A.
I think of 1st world countries USA is probably the least connected to the internet. Although the amount of fiber that runs through is the most.

Also internet is expensive to operate, maintain, aquire. If your hotel has 200 rooms and you want each guest to have .44mb, thats gonna 88mbit/sec you need to push. From my last bandwidth buy I could get as low as ~$15/mb with a sub 100 agreement, this is also a pre wired building and such. If you ever saw the pricing for rolling out fiber you would prob crap yourself.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
^^^

Ok... you folks who think it is OK, that you have a right, to hog the hotel's bandwidth... flame away.
Most people don't have a clue how much bandwidth they are using if they are hogging it. Many video players will do a test to see how fast the connection is, and will adjust the quality of the movie so they can get the best quality possible given the speed of the line.

You can't blame most people for hogging the bandwidth when they don't have a clue how much they are using.

The hotel should have controls in place on each port to adjust the speed down when it's necessary on those ports. The person watching the movie shouldn't have to suffer, nor should somebody who just wants to check their mail. The technology is there to make it seamless for everybody, which in part was why they moved it all to AT&T to avoid those issues.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davef139
Also internet is expensive to operate, maintain, aquire. If your hotel has 200 rooms and you want each guest to have .44mb, thats gonna 88mbit/sec you need to push. From my last bandwidth buy I could get as low as ~$15/mb with a sub 100 agreement, this is also a pre wired building and such. If you ever saw the pricing for rolling out fiber you would prob crap yourself.
Well, I get that.

I just don't think they can advertise "hi-speed internet" when it operates at sub-par (in today's accepted society rates) speeds.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bkafrick
That goes well along with my experience. Whenever I had slow connections, it was in Hilton's in the USA. The only other time I had issues was in the Hilton Moscow, though the speed was fine, I was asked to log in about every other hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.