Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Anybody Here Like DoubleTree??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle

I am not trying to be Johnny Buzzkill or anything but it seems that each DT property I try, I leave hugely disappointed. I am an HH Diamond and spend over 60 nights a year in Hilton properties. Hamptons are what they are but at least I know what to expect from a low-cost provider. I absolutely LOVE HGIs but cannot always get into them based on where my work sends me. But DTs are my Waterloo nearly every time.

In the past week, I did one night stays at each of the two near SeaTac and would be hard pressed to say which was more disappointing. In the past year, I have also stayed at DTs in Orange County, CA, Boise, ID, Tampa, FL, Greenboro, NC, Coconut Grove, FL and Durango, CO. Most have been quirky, some have been very dated and each has left me wishing I had reserved another HH property. I keep trying them because either they are the "best available" HH choice near my work sites or I fall prey to opinions of the many folks I know (i.e. co-workers) who keep heaping praise on them.

Knowing this board, I am prepared to get flamed but am I really the only one here who is not a huge fan -- despite admittedly good cookies at check-in??

Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
"Dated" is a good way to describe many of them. About half of my travel is on my own dime, so price is a consideration. Often I can get a Doubletree at at sub-$90/night on the weekends, so I use them from time to time. I enjoy the cookies and sometimes it's nice to be at a full-service hotel, even if I'm only there to sleep.

There was a thread not too long ago that discussed where DT's fell in the grand scheme of things, their competition, etc. Maybe Hilton ought to hire someone to take over the brand, give it a facelift, and reposition it to be the next hip/trendy property, a la W a few years ago.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Because the properties vary so wildly, Doubletree is an almost meaningless brand, unless you think you can build a whole hospitality proposition around a cookie. A lot of the properties are dowdy or reflagged from other brands. I've been in Hyatt Regency-like Doubletrees and Doubletrees that couldn't compete with a Comfort Inn. It just doesn't add up to anything coherent. As I think we said in the other thread, it's the one brand in the Hilton family that has no discrete, coherent mission and doesn't really add anything. Doubletrees are at the bottom of my wanna-stay list of Hilton brands, along with Embassy Suites.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:49 pm

I feel the same as you about DoubleTree's. Currently at the DT Club OC Airport and its a deasant hotel. Though like you pointed out, quality varies depending by property.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond (The Hard Way) Braniff Platinum, Eastern Airlines Gold, Piedmont Airlines Rubix Level
DTs are hit or miss and can be dated. The DT Rocky Mount NC is prime example the place looks like an old Holiday Inn, but is very well maintained. Inside the hotel is updated and excellent staff. I booked an executive suite with conference table for $119 using MVP rate.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I'd have to agree - a very uneven brand that's starting to favor the bad side. I don't think that Hilton is really holding it to any standard to speak of.

The only good side of it is that DT's are starting to fall in price - I'm guessing they are having trouble competing. There have been cases recently where I've seen them at or even below Hampton Inn rates and since DT's get 500 MQMs in the latest Delta promo I've gone that way.

All that said there are a few jewels out there like the Doubletree Suites Times Square. I hear good things about DT Club in Dallas - apparently its got some great rates and a somewhat above average experience level - probably on par or better for a 'club' level - whatever that is really suppose to be 'in the book' is a mystery to me.

On the other hand here in Dallas DT took over an old Ramada on Central Expressway and my wife's first reaction: "That's supposed to be a Doubletree?".....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Kind of funny I am staying at the DT Akron/Fairlawn this week and I was pleasently suprised to have a decent property. I don't get the point either though. Rip them all down and turn them into HGIs or real Hiltons.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I think it's hit or miss at just about every chain, including Hiltons and Embassy Suites.

I've stayed at two Doubletrees in Atlanta area in the last year that were both horrible. But I stayed at the Doubletree Resort in Lancaster, PA last week and it was really nice.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
For me it is hit/miss as welel.

The DT in columbus is ok but very dated. I wasn't impressed at all with the one by ATL airport but that was a room paid for by Delta not me.

But there are a couple I love. The NYC Times Square DT is nice.

And in Chicago the Wit is my favorite hilton property to stay at and it's a DT but it's also a brand new hotel and a different type of concept for hilton and not really sure why they branded it a DT.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The DT adjacent to Sea-Tac was once a Red Lion Hotel. DT picked it up maybe ten years ago. I don't think they have sunk any money into since acquiring it. The rooms are dungeon-like but the bar in the main lobby is nice.

The DT Guest Suites abeam Southcenter is, IMHO, a much nicer hotel. Yes it's a bit dated but it gets uplifted by the nearness of the recently-modernized mall (for those who like to shop) and an array of good restaurants, including one of Seattle's best sushi restaurants (Miyabi), in the strip mall immediately to the south of the hotel.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
The DT brand - extremely hit or miss. It's like a box of chocolates.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
Because the properties vary so wildly, Doubletree is an almost meaningless brand, unless you think you can build a whole hospitality proposition around a cookie.
How long ago was the great Hampton Inn purge? Hilton needs to define the program, then say to the properties 'Get with the program - or be gone.'
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
My experience:

Lima - average hotel. Would return only if the rate was very favourable compared with other options in the area.

JFK - never again. Very poor. I do not know if it still exists.

Milan - nice hotel. I would stay again if I am in the area and if I have my own car. Very complicated to arrive with public transportation.

As others have mentioned, it is a gamble, and this is what many frequent travellers(at least myself) dislike more.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
To me, Doubletree is sort of "Hilton-Lite" -- I wouldn't describe the Sea-Tac rooms as "dungeon-like" -- elites get put in the Tower, which are quite spacious, and sunny (when there's sun!).
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I've been staying at the DoubleTree in Skokie, IL (north shore, Chicago, near Northwestern U) on and off this month (alternating with the close-by Hampton to rack up stay credits while I'm traveling) and can say it's a fantastic place. Great staff, modern lobby... but it's also newer and next door to a fine arts center, holds weddings/receptions, etc., so a different client base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.