Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Ithaca {US-NY}

I didn't see a thread on the Hilton Garden Inn in Ithaca, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I really wanted to like it, as it's a great location in the downtown Ithaca area right across the street from The Commons and I want to see better hotel options in Ithaca. A $15 valet charge in Ithaca is outrageous, so I was pleased to hear that we could just park in the garage next door for free.

The staff was very friendly, but I was just unhappy about the thin walls in the hotel room. I woke up about 10 times last night from random noises, with my next door neighbor closing the bathroom door, turning on the faucet or flushing the toilet. While I couldn't hear conversations from the next room, I was appalled by how thin the walls are and also how uncomfortable the mattress was (but that might be due to me being used to the Westin/SPG beds). I like the idea of being able to adjust my mattress's firmness, but it was just really uncomfortable regardless of the setting that I was trying to get.

Overall it wasn't bad, but I have to admit that I was unimpressed.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
Points booking conundrum

If using points to book a room, the points per individual night are less than if you book a multiple night stay For instance, I am looking at a 5 night stay in Ithaca NY for June 2024. If I look at one night at a time, the points are 57,000 57,000, 59,000, 60.000, 60,000. If I look at the whole 5 night time frame it shows a flat 60,000 pts per night. What gives?

I do know that the 5th night free will only take off the lowest point night, but that is not what is happening here.
nk15 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:08 pm

If you are trying to book over Reunion weekend, it is likely a function of some nights being blocked for one-night stays and / or different room types being available for different nights. Either way, 60k/night for the HGI with a 5th night free is a great deal compared to what they charge in cash that time of year...jump on it before it's gone...trust me...
Old Oct 13, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
If you are trying to book over Reunion weekend, it is likely a function of some nights being blocked for one-night stays and / or different room types being available for different nights. Either way, 60k/night for the HGI with a 5th night free is a great deal compared to what they charge in cash that time of year...jump on it before it's gone...trust me...
It is not over the reunion weekend. I did search for one night stays and they were all available for standard room bookings at the various points I stated, so it's not due to blocking or special event. The points per night only go up if I put in multiple nights. All of a sudden the total stay is 60,000 pts per night.

I did book it, but just think it is odd and a little deceiving.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:37 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I did a search and I think I found the hotel and a series of 5 nights with the prices you reported of 57/57/59/60/60 individually. When I try to book those for 5th night free then the price does go up to 59/59/60/60/free. The cash prices for each night are the same whether individual or combined, so the points prices should also be the same.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:59 pm

It is the Hilton Garden Inn June 11-16th. When I went through with the booking, it charged me 240,00 and showed the details as 11h 60,000. 12th 60,000 13th 60,000 14th 60,000 and the 15th as free. Doesn't match up with points if looking at one night stays on same dates..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure for all my multi night bookings using Hilton points in over 25 years all nights get charged at the same point rate. Yes, when paying money the rate can change each night but I've never seen a points rate change per night that I can remember.

Looking at your points used you are paying 240,000 for 5 nights (with 5th night free) which is 48,000 per night. If you add up the 5 individual nights if booked separately without a free night you would have paid 58,600 per night so you saved 53,000 points by booking them as 5 nights in one reservation instead of 5 separate reservations.
Segments likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Just like cash rates, hotels can vary pricing depending on the length of stay.

48k points per night is a great deal nowadays for just about any property.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What's the cash rate like?
Old Oct 14, 2023, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's the cash rate like?
Over $300/night all-in, typical for Ithaca in the summer (with sellouts most weekends too), which is why I advised the OP to stop splitting hairs over a few points and just book the thing (which they did). Good use of points.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Looking at your points used you are paying 240,000 for 5 nights (with 5th night free) which is 48,000 per night. If you add up the 5 individual nights if booked separately without a free night you would have paid 58,600 per night so you saved 53,000 points by booking them as 5 nights in one reservation instead of 5 separate reservations.
I know that the 5th night free is a good deal. That's why I booked it. My issue is why would you have to pay more points for the Tues, Wed nights just because you booked more than one night? TIt happens with only 2, 3, or 4 nights.. It looks like they want to penalize because you book multiple nights. I would think they would encourage multiple nights instead of discouraging them.

I feel like the 5th night free should be just that, count up the points per night at the nightly rate, subtract the lowest night rate and that is the price. It is the principal of the thing to me because it seems deceiving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.