Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgraded To Diamond Status Suddenly...???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green

Hello All,

Today I just log on to Hhonor website and found that I had been upgraded to Diamond status. I am sure that they only upgraded me last 2 days or so, because I had logged on the website last weekend and was still Gold Status.
I have few questions below:

(1) I though membership status review is done every March every year? Why they upgraded me in end of May??

(2) Actually, I did not stay enough to be Diamond, why they upgraded me suddenly? (I already surpassed Gold member criteria, but not reach Diamond yet... I was half way between Gold & Diamond)

(3) The membership status will expire March 2012. I thought membership is only for 1 year? Why they give me 2 years?

Thank you very much!!!
Old May 26, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Status expiration?

I've been upgraded as well but I can't find the date of the status expiration on the website. Is it posted on the HHonors account somewhere?
Old May 26, 2010, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I've been upgraded as well but I can't find the date of the status expiration on the website. Is it posted on the HHonors account somewhere?
No, I rang them directly. However, I did not ask them the reason why I got upgraded. (I worry that they may downgrade me back to Gold if they found it was mis-calculation...)

By the way, how was your travel pattern like for last year? Also between Gold & Diamond?
Old May 26, 2010, 8:04 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Perhaps this is the reason?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...en-nights.html
Old May 26, 2010, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If you got upgraded to Diamond (or any higher level) i think a march , 2012 date is typical. You are suppose to get the higher status for the remainder of the calendar year and the next calendar year. I am not sure why hilton gives you an expiration dat eof March instead of December since the qualifying stays are based on a calendar year, not a 12 month cycle.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:15 am

so it make more people feel better about the few extra bonus points they get for being Diamond. I have also started to notice the not so special diamond status reconition at US hotels (but its been going on for over a year or so). Of course, the other possibility is that their elite base declined steeply last year and this is a way to make up.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Status is good through the rest of the year (December, 2010), the entire following year (December 2011) and the first few months of then next year (March 2012). The first few months of 2012 are just to enjoy the benefits, stays for credit have to be made during the calendar year, and your stay count will reset to zero on Jan 1.

So in theory, anybody who obtains status anytime in 2010 will have status through March 2012.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF Plat, BA Gold, Etihad Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, A-Club Platinum, Omni Black, PC Gold,PP
Funny... On my latest card I have Diamond status until 2013.... First time I have such a long status period for HHonors!...
Old May 26, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by maast
Funny... On my latest card I have Diamond status until 2013.... First time I have such a long status period for HHonors!...
Card, what card?

I have been a Diamond for about a month now on my account summary. No welcome email. No letter except the hotel thank you's. When do I get the card? Yeah, no one ever asks, but if it as ugly as people say, i would at least like to see one.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Card, what card?

I have been a Diamond for about a month now on my account summary. No welcome email. No letter except the hotel thank you's. When do I get the card? Yeah, no one ever asks, but if it as ugly as people say, i would at least like to see one.

I'd also like to know how long it takes to get the card. I have a trip planned at the vegas hilton in 3 weeks and am told the card will get you into a priority line for the breakfast buffet. If I don't have the card by then will the front desk give me asome kind of card to use or can I use a screen print out showing my status? The thread on the vegas hilton sounds like having the card is a must at the vegas hilton.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Of course, the other possibility is that their elite base declined steeply last year and this is a way to make up.
There is little doubt to me that what you surmised above is what is happening. There have been so many reports of people getting a higher tier status than they had expected that it reminds me of what United Airlines did last year. Due to the sluggish economy and wanting to stem the flow of its elites to the competitors (the dAArk side had already offered similar promos), UA had offered two rounds of double elite-qualifying mile (DEQM) promotions, so that most people who usually attained the equivalent of HH Gold (1P) easily made the top tier or Diamond equivalent (1K). The result is that there are so many 1K elites (top tier) this year that the perks (such as upgrade from economy to business) that used to be available to fewer people are now being handed out to a lot more people, so that it has gotten harder for most top elites to be upgraded.

The same thing will happen here next year here. Upgrade to exec floor will be tougher even for HH Diamonds...I just hope that the exec lounges won't also get too full to be enjoyable but I have no illusions about that...

The only thing that could save the day is the possibility that those who are getting the higher tier status so easily will just not bother to stay at Hilton properties, having already qualified until at least 2012, so that some us who earned the D the old-fashioned way will still reap the benefits.
P.S. In the latter case, HH will be the ultimate loser.

Last edited by dcshungu; May 26, 2010 at 10:19 pm
Old May 27, 2010, 12:18 pm

HH is going crazy with its Diamond giveaways. I can't say it makes me want to stay with them after my 28 stays each year (usually accomplished in first quarter) ,except for bonus certs. Without a generous third quarter bonus, I'll probably spend most of the rest of the year elsewhere.
Hh really needs a higher level ASAP.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP-Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I received the postcard at the end of March with the targeted second quarter promotion that sounds the same as the email linked earlier - I was happy to get this as I have been stuck in the upper end of Gold and not likely to make Diamond any time soon but realized that it all comes with a price.

I have my six stays so far in the second quarter and will certainly qualify with only one more to go in the next month - I truely wonder how much different life will be in the Diamond Club, likely not much more than a couple points here and there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.