Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are HGI the better Hiltons?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by justinc848
I thought all HIs had fridge/microwaves..

I did notice that I received water/cookies even though my MyWay is marked bonus points; and I did indeed receive bonus points.
Most Hamptons, IME, don't have fridges in most rooms. However, I usually receive water & a snack even though I have points listed for my benefit.

Originally Posted by b1513
Last week I was given a room at a HGI and it smelled horribly of smoke. I went to the FD and they changed my room without a problem. The FD person said that it was not a smoking room and that there is a charge of $250.00 (as mentioned up thread) for smoking in a non-smoking room. Six rooms are set aside, at this HGI, for smoking I was told.

Bobette
Quite frequently, I notice the smoke smell coming in from the bathroom "exhaust".

Originally Posted by zaf
In a winter or rainy QC night..
A winter night on Sherbrooke is a perfect time to head down to St. Catherine. And if it's rainy, the HGI there has umbrellas to lend out. And if they run out, the FD staff will usually lend you their personal ones

Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
Do people actually pay that $16.99 to watch a movie they can get at Blockbuster for $5.00?
Blockbuster? Who goes there when you can get a Red Box for $1, or free if you use the coupon codes?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Agree with most of the posts that you get the most bang for your buck at HGI. ES, while spendy, also offers a good value with the cocktail hour, breakfast etc. I've had the best luck with upgrades at Doubletree and some locations offer other extras, such as free parking, etc. Some of the HI's are getting old and tired but some are great. Same with Hilton. First choice for me is always HGI if there is one in the area.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I asked for grits in CA. They tried. They really tried. I do not think they knew what success should look like. I will get oatmeal the next time.
Grits in CA! That's funny.

From an old KY boy.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:07 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

A winter night on Sherbrooke is a perfect time to head down to St. Catherine. And if it's rainy, the HGI there has umbrellas to lend out. And if they run out, the FD staff will usually lend you their personal ones
Honestly I know..

But it sounded much better than "when I am too lazy to go out"..
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:36 am

I dont see anyone mentioning the bed, which I find the most comfortable of all.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Are HGI the better Hiltons? Absolutely! The service, the bed, the facility, and so on!

Jimbo
Old Apr 23, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I also prefer HGI's. The in room fridge and microwave are very nice conveniences for me and they don't charge for internet and most of the ones I have stayed at have been newer hotels.

ALl the ones I have stayed at with on site restaraunts offer a very good breakfast for gold and diamond and most of them give you free vouchers for bottled water.

One of my favorite properties is the HGI on 8th in NYC and I stayed on an awards stay new years eve weekend and was also given a very nice welcome bag with some diet coke and snackes.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I'll probably get flamed for this - I like HGIs and HIs, but the noisy (to me) ventilation systems are my problem. Yes they are not as noisy as a true window unit, but when they run they are loud enough to partially drown out the television and they bother my sleep. Many of the Hilton, Doubletree, and Embassy Suites will have much quieter air handlers. But that is dependent on the property.

Yes I know, most hotel rooms are not quiet. But my home is extremely quiet and I just don't adjust well to sleeping in rooms with noisy air handlers.

For the price point and market, I think HGI should have quieter heating/cooling systems in the room. Other than that, it is a great value.

David
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
1. HGI
2. Homewood
3. Hampton Inn & Suites (I have found the breakfast varies hugely by property)
4. ES
5. DT
6. Hilton

Reasons: Most Homewoods and many HGIs are newer and fresher. I almost always get a suite upgrade at these (when the HGI in question has suites). You don't get nickel-and-dimed for things like coffee (free), internet (free), and refrigerators (often standard amenities)

Some exceptions might be the Hilton Hawaiian Village/Waikoloa but those are completely different animals.
+10000. Great post that I can't agree with more. Here are my quick thoughts:

HGI: Probably one of the best of the Hilton brands overall. Consistent clean/high quality facilities that lacks the higher image DT/Hilton pretentiousness without all the surprise fees. Food is good and you still get the down to earth quality service too. The little upgrades in the bedding/chairs etc is great.

Hampton: one of my favorite chains, but sometimes can be inconsistent in quality of the property and cleanliness. If you hit a newer remodeled one it's a great stay. Still, very basic/simple/non-pretentious and some of my best stays at Hamptons. Service is almost very consistently good.

Homewood: generally not a huge fan as furniture is typically older and you have a cheaper feel to it, but some properties are absolutely fantastic. If you get good food quality and newer rooms it can be a great experience. ^ to HS in Jackson WY and Anchorage AK. Been wanting to try the new one in MN too.

ES: used to be a favorite of mine, but I'm not a fan of the zoo atmosphere. Not to mention, mgr's receptions are not real receptions anymore. Plus, rates have seen to gone sky high. Exception is ES in Waikiki, great property.

DT: start to get the snooty feel to it. You typically get what you ask for though.

Hilton: great stays for outside the US, if in the US I'd go to the above.

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
I'm another HGI lover - the return for your $/€ is fantastic, the properties generally newer and the amenities are super. Also, as smaller properties than say many DTs or Hiltons, they get the personal customer service thing right too.

It is the gem of the chain. ^
+1.

Originally Posted by jabez
My synoppsis of the 100+ Hh properties I stay in each year:

Hilton: Generally, overpriced. About 20% of my stays will be at Hiltons. Almost all my reward points are used on them in Europe.

Hampton:A few years ago Hampton was the best HH "bang for the buck." But, I've seen a steady rise in their rates and now only stay at select properties (some have great suite upgrades and afternoon drinks/food). About 15% of my stays are with them.

ES: They can be crazy-expensive and very dated. Their locations are almost always close to much lesser options. I really hate them in summer when it seems every kid traveling with a soccer team stays where I am. Why do they get such a kick out of punching all the elevator floor buttions? I will stay about 10% with them.

Homewood Suites: For awhile my HH of choice. I liked the afternoon food/drinks, hot breakfasts and lots of room. I liked having a microwave to warm my carryouts and stayed with them almost 70% of the time. I have grown tired of receiving less partner miles and the cheap furnishings/bed. I now stay about 15% of the time.

HGI: Easily the current "best bang" hotel. IMHO, of any chain. It's one reason I don't move away from HH after my 28 stays (usually first quarter). Fridge, micro, nicely furnished (although not on the Hilton's), usually upgraded, nice beds, good breakfasts, rarely a charge for parking, free wi-fi, etc. Combine all this with very reasonable prices and why 40% of my stays are with them. I only wish there were more.

Doubletree: Are there still Doubletrees? They now get 0% of my business.
+1
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
HGI all the way in the USA!

Hiltons in the US are certainly hit or miss; but when I have the choice I go HGI. I agree that the breakfast rocks.

HGI in New Orleans is my fav!
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:10 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I generally prefer HGI as the best value brand at Hilton. Obviously, this can vary by market.

I like the roominess, the in-room refrigerator/microwave and free internet. Room service availability is nice (esp. at remote or airport locations), but note, a few HGIs do not have dinner or evening room service.

The beds are comfy enough, but a pain to adjust.

The free breakfast for Diamonds (and Golds) is nice, but service is generally lacking and most locations cook their eggs on too high heat. And why do they use a poisonous pasteurized egg product for their omelets (other than their convenience)? Always ask for fresh eggs!

HGI also allows me 500 AA points to help me close in on higher LT status (those points add up!)

I would like to see them offer more flexibility in the free water, like offer an $x credit in the pantry. I travel with my own water bottle and don't need more to pollute the planet.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Is free bottled water suppose to be offered to all HH members at any HGI or does it vary by hotel?

The HGI I lvoe on 8th in NYC (which BTW has a GREAT breakfast and does use fresh eggs) always gives me vouchers for bottled water. I am not sure how they figure out how many to give me because sometimes it is just two and sometimes they have given me more, the one in Chicago I received them once and not the second time, the one by DTW airport I didn't receive them (this was a park and fly rate) and there was one in wooster, OH that didn't give them to me, and I think, the other times HGI always has. Wasn't sure if it was a benefit that varied by hotel or if all were to give them and I just got a careless desk clerk.

Originally Posted by wth
I generally prefer HGI as the best value brand at Hilton. Obviously, this can vary by market.

I like the roominess, the in-room refrigerator/microwave and free internet. Room service availability is nice (esp. at remote or airport locations), but note, a few HGIs do not have dinner or evening room service.

The beds are comfy enough, but a pain to adjust.

The free breakfast for Diamonds (and Golds) is nice, but service is generally lacking and most locations cook their eggs on too high heat. And why do they use a poisonous pasteurized egg product for their omelets (other than their convenience)? Always ask for fresh eggs!

HGI also allows me 500 AA points to help me close in on higher LT status (those points add up!)

I would like to see them offer more flexibility in the free water, like offer an $x credit in the pantry. I travel with my own water bottle and don't need more to pollute the planet.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
HGIs are the best IMO because they offer the most consistent value-f0r-money proposition. Pricing at FS Hiltons varies wildly and is often unrelated to the quality of the property. Everyone knows there are good Hiltons and crap Hiltons, but you don't see the same spread among HGIs.

I was at the Hilton Austin last week on a $229 rate, looking out my window at an almost-as-large high-rise HGI out by the I-35, two blocks away, where the rate was $140, and wondering what the hell I was doing there. I like that FS Hilton a lot, but I just don't know what I get for the extra $90. The HGI bundles everything I need. In fact, every time I've checked into an FS Hilton over the last year or so, I've told myself to shop nearby HGIs next time.

As for HIs... there's more inconsistency in both property quality, service / amenities, and pricing. I also note that in smaller locales where HIs are the only Hilton family option, they price out much higher than the competition. I have to go to New Hampshire in a few weeks, where Comfort Inns, etc. are $60 or $70 and the HIs next door are $100 to $120. It's very hard to defend the higher price, especially when you're only going to be there for eight hours and I don't like the HI breakfasts.

ES means mobs of screaming kids in wet swimsuits, an atrium full of dying or artificial plants that smells of chlorine, and screw-you pricing. Last resort in the Hilton family.

Doubletrees mean nothing. I think it's the only brand Hilton hasn't figured out how to position in its hierarchy. If Doubletree were an automotive brand it'd be Mercury.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:58 pm

Code:
Doubletrees mean nothing. I think it's the only brand Hilton hasn't figured out how to position in its hierarchy. If Doubletree were an automotive brand it'd be Mercury.
Or maybe a Toyota needing a recall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.